Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help me settle a dispute
Quote | Reply
ST friends,

If you had to sell someone on the idea of disc brakes on a tri bike, lets hear your arguments. So WHY is there a need for disc brakes on a tri bike...
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [teleskibum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This argument occurs like every week. Plenty of material exists for you already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there isn't, it's a want and wants have prices. so if friends want is there and cash is there, have at it. same as wanting 12 speed, or 13 or whatever latest 1x craze is. nothing is needed. it's just newer and some folks can't do without newness. some can
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If ou live out west in the mountains and are pushed really far forward and only have one bike. Stupid long descents made me love disc brakes but I am in the Midwest now and they r more of a pain in the ass then they are worth imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
there isn't, it's a want and wants have prices. so if friends want is there and cash is there, have at it. same as wanting 12 speed, or 13 or whatever latest 1x craze is. nothing is needed. it's just newer and some folks can't do without newness. some can
Yeah, bring back pullrod brakes on steel rims dagnabit! Better yet, spoon brakes on solid rubber tyres! After all, brakes only make you slower! death to progress [/Ludd]

Let's see:
cable (hydraulic tube) routing through tight bars/frames (is immune to tight bends)
doesn't wear out expensive rims
rims can be optimised for aero, no need for flat brake tracks or strength against clamping forces
work better, feel better.

And now for the counterpoints in 3, 2, 1:
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are right, rim brake bikes are death traps and no longer super bikes with all those unaero wheels and tube shapes, whomever the OP is trying to convince, you made the points needed. upgrades for all, plus its good for the economy to spend all that money the trickle down economics is amazing and will help everyone

sign me up for one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to dislike disc brakes, mainly because of what I consisered to be an untraditional look. Recently, it occurred to me that disc brakes might have a longer life span as the brake tracks wear would be a non issue. With that newly found perception, I sorta wish I had disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know...but I'm kind of annoyed now that Argon didn't go disc on the E-119 (bought in October) this year because I'm buying a disc roadie pretty soon. It's for the one time you need it scenario I'm sure.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are going to ride in a situation where you need more controllable/better brakes then you want them

If you don’t think it matters then maybe you won’t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are doing it wrong if you are using your brakes on a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never thought they were valuable, until I was going down a hill and I started smelling that popcorn smell when carbon brakes heat up. ... I was slowing down not fast enough and the guys around me on disc’s were well under control

Do you ride down hills? Do you ride in the rain? Do you want to brake better?

If any of those matter, then I’d think you probably would value having disc brakes on your TT bike

If you ride 40k TTs, our and back, then you probably don’t need any brakes at all
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somewhat on topic, if one -does- go with disc brakes, should you always be going with a hydraulic solution? Is the routing in fact easier? I thought a bend in the bars that would cause friction with a cable, could probably also kink a hydraulic line, but is that not the case?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg wrote a relevant front page article on this because the answer has to do with maintenance and how brakes are actuated.

Cable discs can be a right PIA to setup and if they are not frequently maintained they are far worse than rim brakes. The move to hydraulics removes a number of potential headaches and means you are less prone to constant brake rub, bent rotors, etc. but you are correct that you have to think about housing and routing. Many modern mountain bikes a plagued by internal cables rattling around constantly making noise and I wouldn't want that on a road or TT bike. Cable actuated hydraulic brakes do exist and offer a compromise but are expensive and visually unappealing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I see it, you can be an early-adopter, or a laggard... Disk wheels are here to stay... I knew that marketing degree would come in handy someday.
Last edited by: TommyTris: Mar 29, 19 6:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teleskibum wrote:
ST friends,

If you had to sell someone on the idea of disc brakes on a tri bike, lets hear your arguments. So WHY is there a need for disc brakes on a tri bike...

I was buying 2 new bikes this year. Roadie & TT. I wanted to get disc on the roadie for many reasons including putting larger tires on for gravel. At first I was going to get another rim brake TT bike but after I crunched the numbers it made sense to go ahead and get disc on the TT bike as well for sharing wheels (which also gave the ability to sell all of my rim brake wheels).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teleskibum wrote:
ST friends,

'Cause when ya got a lotta "GO" you need a lotta "WOAH". No further discussion required.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with. Location has a lot to do with it. I'm in FL and have one bike with disc brakes. I personally hate the extra hassle of maintenance as I do my own. Rim brakes work just fine with everything is relatively flat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rename your thread “post-purchase rationalization or buyer’s remorse”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teleskibum wrote:

They are OK if you will be braking a lot and you don't like Hed Jets or other rims with an aluminum brake track.

Otherwise, no point... since the brakes add aero drag, weight, cost, maintenance, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
jeffp wrote:

Yeah, bring back pullrod brakes on steel rims dagnabit! Better yet, spoon brakes on solid rubber tyres! After all, brakes only make you slower! death to progress [/Ludd]

Let's see:
cable (hydraulic tube) routing through tight bars/frames (is immune to tight bends)
doesn't wear out expensive rims
rims can be optimised for aero, no need for flat brake tracks or strength against clamping forces
work better, feel better.

And now for the counterpoints in 3, 2, 1:

You didn't mention 6 speed, 7 speed, 8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speed, 11 speed and dual pivot brakes. My lady has her father's late 40s Raleigh with... a 3 speed freewheel. Oh the horrors!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disc brakes are evil. Rim brakes are more aero and easier to work on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because they don't race Model T's at the Indy 500
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we all know that races are won based on who's a demon on the brakes!
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true! Not only that but they’re heavy AF.

1poseur1 wrote:
You are doing it wrong if you are using your brakes on a TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me settle a dispute [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Don't know...but I'm kind of annoyed now that Argon didn't go disc on the E-119 (bought in October) this year because I'm buying a disc roadie pretty soon. It's for the one time you need it scenario I'm sure.

And the other way around, is the reason I didn't buy an E-119 as my roadie is disk, and so I want to be able to share wheels like I used to on the old roadie and E-114.
Quote Reply

Prev Next