Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me climb!
Quote | Reply
So here's something I've noticed about my climbing "style," if you will. I think I lean too far over the handlebars when out of the saddle and this puts most of the weight on my front wheel and makes my rear wheel relatively "light." When I am mashing (sorry, I can't "dance on those pedals" like Lance) up a hill my rear wheel will tend to slip a little. This can't be good because 1) it's kind of sketchy not having good contact with the road and 2) I can't imagine the power transfer being optimal with a "light" rear wheel, since all road bikes tend to be "rear wheel drive."

So, my question is, what is proper climbing technique? For starters, I think my stem is a bit long and if it were a cm or so shorter it would bring some of my out of the saddle weight back. Do any of you experience this phenomenon? Is there anything specific that you are concious about regarding body position when you climb? I don't get much opportinity to practice climbing here in my part of the midwest so it's not something I am intimately familiar with.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me climb! [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road bike or tri bike or do you want us to guess?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me climb! [Bitey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take your pick. Occurs with both steeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me climb! [ahoodlum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds pretty basic. Practice shifting your weight back by keeping your hands feeling very light, such that there is almost no pressure on them.
Quote Reply