Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me choose my 70.3 races for 2020
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I would like to race twice before next summer. Option 1 is to pick one race in Asia late winter and one in Europe late spring. Option 2 is to race twice in Europe in spring.

The goal is to be competitive in my AG (25-29), and a WC slot would be the « cherry on the cake ».

For more context, 2020 will be my first triathlon season. I mostly have a running background (2h50 open marathon), and consider cycling as a strength too (non-trained FTP at 290W for 66kgs). The swim is definitely my weakness but I’m working on the technique and I hope it will become decent soon.

Have short-listed the following races:

Asia: Oman, Bangsaen, and Taiwan
Europe: Alcudia-Mallorca, Graz, Luxembourg, Kraichgau, and Otepaa

Looking for any recommendation, suggestion, advice regarding those races and the schedule more generally!

Thanks in advance

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my 70.3 races for 2020 [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing this up to add that the above list of races is not finalized and that I'm open to other ideas/race locations. Especially if you know courses that would match my abilities and not highlight my swimming weakness.

Cheers

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How well do you handle the heat?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my 70.3 races for 2020 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never raced in hot conditions but have done a few 2,5h+ intense long runs with temperatures above 30°C (90-ish° F). It went really fine.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In France : Aix en Provence (17 may)

https://eu.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz63NxfCPPW
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my 70.3 races for 2020 [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have been at the top of my list but I won’t be around that week-end.

But thanks for the suggestion! Have you raced it?

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not yet.

Last 2 years weather was awful.... bad luck....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which side of the planet are you on (top or bottom). I mean when is winter for you?

70.3 Geelong (Australia) is at the end of Feb and is voted the worlds best 70.3, and there'll be a stack of WC slots up for grabs.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my 70.3 races for 2020 [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m based in Europe, hence my above picks (Asian races being mainly ideas to combine with vacations - and without a too big jetlag).

Geelong sounds awesome although that’s a bit too far away, especially taking into account the 2020 WC location.

Where do you guys think the roll down will be the most important? I would have said Asia but on the other hand they’re closer to NZ.

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Last edited by: captainolek: Oct 25, 19 21:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The closer you get geographically to the WC location the more slots on offer but also the less likely there’ll be roll downs. Geelong will have heaps of slots but you’d imagine most Australians who qualify would take the spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me choose my 70.3 races for 2020 [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fletch_boy wrote:
Which side of the planet are you on (top or bottom). I mean when is winter for you?

70.3 Geelong (Australia) is at the end of Feb and is voted the worlds best 70.3, and there'll be a stack of WC slots up for grabs.

I visited Geelong last year when in Melbourne. I was surfing Bells Beach for a couple of days, but staying in Melbourne. I would grab a bite to eat there when passing through.

It’s a beautiful area. I can’t imagine a better setting for a race.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply