Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help from California/Arizona ST'ers
Quote | Reply
Greetings. My girlfriend and I are looking for a vacation/training camp retreat sometime in the middle of February. Spain was on the table as you can find some pretty cheap rental properties, but damn flights are expensive. We are now looking to keep it on the continent as our flight points will go alot further. I'm looking for suggestions as to where to go either in Cali or Arizona.

Goal:somewhere relatively warm(note it will be -20 at home and 5ft of snow on the ground, so warm is a relative term). Good roads friendly to cyclists, easy access to mountains a must as we will both be looking for some long steady aerobic power building at that time of year. Also prefer close proximity to an airport to keep rental car costs down. Finally, we want something that will allow us to be self supporting(apartment/condo rentals) as we want to be able to cook our own food for the week.

I think that covers it. I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks

Ian and the GF

Ian MacLean
http://www.imfit.ca
Success comes when fear of failure goes
Quote Reply
Re: Help from California/Arizona ST'ers [Ian MacLean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Help from California/Arizona ST'ers [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks Gary. That may just be what the doctor ordered.

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Lake Arrowhead, California and it's quite beautiful up here, however I personally don't really like the roads up here so much. Very narrow shoulder and lots of fast moving traffic. I can't blame the drivers either, it's pretty fun driving up the mountain in my new Subaru.

I've never stayed at the place that I'm linking here, but I ride in the area almost every day. Wrightwood is about an hour west of me at approximately 6,000', so I'd expect snow and semi cold weather, but not -20F. The Angeles National Forest, where Wrightwood is located, has the best roads I've ever been on, though I'm not a globetrotter. HWY 39, is about 30 miles long and gains just under 6,000', with nearly 20 miles 5,000' of gain closed to vehicle traffic. HWY 2 is even longer and gains even more, and is the route connecting to Wrightwood I believe. Mt. Baldy Road is about 12.5 miles gaining nearly 5,000'. Glendora Mountain Road's backside is 5 miles with a gain of about 1400', and the frontside is about 8 miles and 2000'. Glendora Ridge Road is 12 miles with a rolling gain of about 1200'. There are plenty of places to ski, hike, fish, and explore old mining camps in the ANF; or if that's not your deal you can venture towards L.A. and partake in drugs, sex, and rock 'n' roll.

It also puts you in very close proximity to Valyermo, in case you are feeling a bit wild and want to get Fisted on your vacation. It will also allow me to coincidentally meet up with you on a ride, at the end of which you'll have found yourself offering me and my marketing/customer service genius (that would do Slowman proud) a job to come sell Guru's, or maybe just keep the place clean and offer some nice lighting alternatives (www.fullspectrumsolutions.com) that will keep the customers sub-consciously wanting to come back; anything to get me into some cool bike shop in Canada.

...$125 a night. http://www.wrightwoodrentals.com/rates.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cool, thanks Gary. That may just be what the doctor ordered.

Don't give Charmichael any of your money! It's way too expensive anyway.

Do a search for Mrs. T's training camp in San Diego in Feb (I think that's when). A HECK of a lot cheaper, and fits all of what you were describing except mountain access. You can get to hills for sure, but no mountains within an easy ride, I think.

Funny about the temp perspective... I've been thinking about camps, and am thinking San Diego at 60-65 degrees will be too cold!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The area for carmichaels camps is really good but is a bit remote for airport access because you would have to fly into Santa Barbara and then drive 45 minutes to Santa Ynez. Santa Barbara is one of the best places to train that I have ever been. You can do huge steep climbs or ride mostly flat along the coast. I don't know much about the swimming situation over in Santa Ynez but I haven't heard of much in the way of masters swim teams. Santa Barbara has a really good masters program and it is 50 meters all year long. Santa Barbara also has some of the best eating and entertainment you could ask for. It is very expensive in Santa Barbara but I have always said that to me Santa Barbara is "The Promised Land". I will be there quite a bit training this winter. If you have any questions about the area just fire me off an email.

Kerry Classen
Quote Reply
Re: Help from California/Arizona ST'ers [kaclassen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cool, thanks guys. I knew I could count on you all for some help. looks like a couple of good suggestions so far. don't worry either, i wasn't planning on giving carmichael any cash, or anyone for that matter. not interested in anything organized and scheduled. i'll just follow them every day.:)

S.B does sound expensive, couldn't find anything cost effective that included a kitchen...yet, but i'll keep looking. if it's good enough for Discovery, probably good enough for me. I may get in touch with you shortly though.

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Re: Help from California/Arizona ST'ers [Androgynotopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds nice. I like the location and the climbing. Thanks for the heads up. If we make it down there, we can definitely hook up for a ride. I was at Xantusia last year to get fisted and loved the area. I'd love to take my girlfriend back there. I'll look into those cabins and see what's up.

Thanks again!

You really want to come sell Guru's up here in the north? Come on up!! I'm actually becoming more involved in coaching/testing/fitness assessments, and less time on the sales floor so we could use a smart guy. Bring your warm fuzzie's!

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long are you planning on staying? I know a lot of people in S.B. I can look around for you a little bit. What is your budget/price range?

Kerry
Quote Reply
Re: Help from California/Arizona ST'ers [kaclassen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Kerry,

We're looking at staying for 10 days or so. Price range, as cheap as possible...I work in a bike shop! Somewhere in the $800-1000/wk range would be great. Cheaper would be even better. Thanks. Feel free to email me if you find anything.

Ian

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if your heart is not set on CA you might want to consider Tucson. Good roads to bike on w/ bike lanes running for miles. Terrain ranges from flat/false inclines to climbs in the 3 hr range. Good trails to run/mtn bike on, lots of pools. You can go swim at the U of A along w/ a few olympic medalists and WR holders. Group rides seven days per week and group runs almost as many. Several pro cyclist/teams and many pro triathletes will be hanging out this winter in Tucson.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Help from California/Arizona ST'ers [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

I was actually looking at Tucson earlier this morning. So, far cheapest rentals I've found so far. I know a few of our roadie's head down there. Any suggestion on where to stay, we'd like to not need a car, so somewhere that we could get a taxi from the airport, and where we could walk to get groceries and stuff.

Thanks

Ian MacLean
Quote Reply