Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Help a beginner with his bicycle
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

I signed up for Memphis 70.3 a few months back. Completely new to endurance and triathlon, just wanted to try something new. I used to compete competitively in CrossFit (any haters out there?). I also signed up for a sprint in August. Stumbled across this forum and it appears this is where all the cool kids hang out.

I shopped around for bikes and purchased a Trek Domane AL3, which was the cheapest entry-level road bike at my LBS. I've put about 1,200 miles on it via Zwift and don't have any complaints. If I enjoy my first triathlon, I might upgrade in the future.

What I've realized though is that I probably want a pair of clip-on aerobars, some of those fancy clip-in pedals, and cycling triathlon shoes. These seem like standard upgrades for most people.

Budget-friendly options in mind, I found a pair of clip-on Trek/Bontrager aerobars that I can get for about $70 at my LBS. https://www.trekbikes.com/...n-handlebar/p/07224/

Or, this Profile Design option on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

For the pedals/shoes, I picked this combo on Amazon. Seems reasonable enough.

https://www.amazon.com/...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/...ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Can anyone recommend anything better in this price range? Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [soslow1387] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some way better pedals at a way better price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164186860818
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the shoes you are definitely going to want to try them on before you buy them... different brands fit significantly different from one another and you will find that some just don't fit your feet (you'll be pretty miserable biking in shoes that don't fit!). I'd say find a brand and size that will work and then keep an eye out for deals.

Also, I would jump on buying those pedals that jimatbeyond posted! An ultegra set for that price is great!

And I probably wouldn't bother with the clip-on bars for your first race. This would leave more money in the budget for the shoes to make sure your comfortable. Race number one is all about having fun and enjoying yourself, who cares if you could have saved a few minutes with clip-on bars.
Last edited by: kerikstri: Jun 30, 20 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Here are some way better pedals at a way better price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164186860818

Not to be pessimistic, but I have to imagine name brand products sold for cheap on ebay and shipped from China are counterfit.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They aren't counterfeit.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. What are the big brands for triathlon-specific cycling shoes? Doesn't seem like that market is as big as the general cycling shoe market.

A lot of stores are closed around here, so I will look for some options where I can order them and try them on at home, send back for a different size if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For clipons, I'd go with some highly-adjustable options. Your're going to need to find an aero position that works for you, and don't want to be locked into the limited positions some bars support.

My recommendation is the Profile Sonic/Ergo bars ( https://www.amazon.com/...593555662&sr=8-3 ). A bit more money, but great bars that are easy to customize to your position. Zipp Vuka Aluminas ( https://www.bikeinn.com/...34617&country=us) are another good option. Very adjustable, but a bit harder to adjust (I've owned both of these).

For shoes, top brands are (not a complete list): Shimano, Sidi, Bont, Giro, Specialized.

You can get a good name-brand shoe in the $100 range (ex. this specialized torch: https://www.specialized.com/...earchText=61020-5136 ). eBay and the ST Classifieds section are also good places to get shoes cheap. Don't worry about a tri-specific shoe. If you look at the pics of the top Kona finishers (https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Bike_Gear_7546.html), you'll see that most of them are using a road shoe.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goodness me do not pay 120 for R540 pedals. They are great pedals I used mine for ten years, but get a lightly used set on eBay for like 40 bucks. Just check if sale includes cleats bc you'll want those too. Only reason I stopped using those pedals was that I gave them to a new cyclist in my family for free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even better, why not post a 'WTB' ad in the classifieds here? I'm sure you could pick up some cheap, used items around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I check Facebook marketplace around me - haven't seen anything yet. I just tried to post in the classified section but wasn't allowed for some reason. That's a good idea though - I am totally fine with something used. I've quickly realized how much this sport nickles and dimes you for everything!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ummm... buy some really nice Ultegra pedals on eBay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Ummm... buy some really nice Ultegra pedals on eBay.

kindly - your insistence on this and assertion that they are not counterfeit are both very cryptic. let the man/woman save some money, pedals make absolutely no impact on performance at the beginner level there's no reason to get anything beyond the R540.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I buy Ultegra pedals from those sellers every week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
They aren't counterfeit.

I'd have a hard time trusting this. The page you linked lists a seller who has seemingly only existed since early May and has only a few reviews on their profile, one of which is complaining about having received counterfeit R8000 pedals.

jimatbeyond wrote:
I buy Ultegra pedals from those sellers every week.

What do you mean by "those sellers?" The listing you linked is from a specific seller.

Do you mean that you buy from this specific seller every week, or that you buy from other listings by other sellers with the same ePID (like this) every week?
Last edited by: HTupolev: Jul 1, 20 11:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soslow1387 wrote:
What I've realized though is that I probably want a pair of clip-on aerobars, some of those fancy clip-in pedals, and cycling triathlon shoes. These seem like standard upgrades for most people.

Clip in pedals will definitely help, but I'd ride with them a lot (outdoors) before racing in them. They take a while to get accustomed to. I wouldn't want to race next to a guy using clip-ins for the first time.

I don't think clip-on aerobars add much. To really make you more aerodynamic without sacrificing power, you need to adjust both the bars and the seat. If you just put on some clip-ons you'll probably find that when you move your hands from the drops to the aero bars your head and body will barely change position. Your arms and shoulders will narrow a bit, but I really do not think there is a big savings in terms of reduced drag. Plus, you usually need to practice a lot in the aero position to build up strength and comfort. You could end up sacrificing power without gaining much in terms of aerodynamics. The only real advantage of clip-ons is that you have an additional position from which to choose, which can help alleviate discomfort on longer rides. If a 70.3 distance seems like a long time in the saddle and you're worried your arms, back, or wrists will get tired, it might be worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will order a pair from that specific seller and let you know what I get.

The beauty of eBay is that they guarantee that you will get an authentic product or you get a full refund and the seller has to pay for return shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on, I have no dog in this fight but we all know that those are fakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just sent you a PM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd swing by a local bike shop (LBS) that has a good stock of shoes. As others have said, sizing seems to vary quite a bit from one brand to another, and for sure you'll want the shoes to fit. While you're there, check out the clipless pedals and cleats. I really like the Look Keo pedals (they come in different models that range from fairly inexpensive to very pricey), but other brands work just as well. The shoes and pedals won't make a huge difference to your speed, but they are nice to have. You'll want to ride/practice with them, but you'll be comfortable with them pretty quickly.

Bang for the buck, an aero helmet is a good investment.

Clip on bars (and later, a dedicated "time trial/triathlon" bike) will help your speed, but for sure you need to practice with them before you show up at a race. I'd been riding road bikes for a long time, but the first time I rode with clip ons was a bit of an adventure.

Good luck, and have fun!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
soslow1387 wrote:

Clip in pedals will definitely help, but I'd ride with them a lot (outdoors) before racing in them. They take a while to get accustomed to. I wouldn't want to race next to a guy using clip-ins for the first time.

I don't think clip-on aerobars add much. To really make you more aerodynamic without sacrificing power, you need to adjust both the bars and the seat. If you just put on some clip-ons you'll probably find that when you move your hands from the drops to the aero bars your head and body will barely change position. Your arms and shoulders will narrow a bit, but I really do not think there is a big savings in terms of reduced drag. Plus, you usually need to practice a lot in the aero position to build up strength and comfort. You could end up sacrificing power without gaining much in terms of aerodynamics. The only real advantage of clip-ons is that you have an additional position from which to choose, which can help alleviate discomfort on longer rides. If a 70.3 distance seems like a long time in the saddle and you're worried your arms, back, or wrists will get tired, it might be worth it.

This is very good advice regarding the aero bars. Your bike is designed to be usedwused your hands either on the brake hoods the drops or on the tops when you are climbing. When you suddenly place your elbows on the top of the bars to use the aero bars, you are in an awkward position where your hips are too far back and you have to crane your neck to see where you are going. The main reason why people buy those funny looking triathlon bikes is to get a frame that is designed to work correctly with aero bars.

In your race, I would assume that you will emerge from the water and will be in a large crowd of people passing and being passed for hours. Going from indoor riding to suddenly riding in a large group of often inexperienced and erratic riders with your hands far away from the brakes is a recipe for a mishap of some sort. You are better served just getting outside and riding with your road bike on the road so you get comfortable with things like going around turns where there are some gravel in the road going up and down hills and riding in a straight line.
Last edited by: jroden: Jul 1, 20 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I have looked at the Look Keo Classics. They seem like a good entry-level setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Help a beginner with his bicycle [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So my plan is to do a sprint triathlon in August. A few weeks prior to that, I will take my bike off the Wahoo and ride around somewhere safe just to get the hang of things again. I'm not brand new to bicycles, just the racing part, so I think being a pack of people might be a little intimidating at first.

I will throw the bike back on the trainer for most of my rides leading up to Memphis, with just a few longer rides on the weekends.

I think I will skip the aero bars for now and just wait to see if I even enjoy my first few races. My plan was to just upgrade the bike down the road anyways if I ever wanted to get serious about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that is a very good plan. The thing with the aero bars is you need to change a bunch of settings on your bike in terms of fit and then you need to spend time outside practicing on it so you can actually ride in a straight line with those bars on. It takes some practice and commitment and wants you get it all figured out you might be a few minutes faster in your race but maybe that's not all that important at this point maybe being comfortable and feeling halfway decent when you start your run will be more useful to you at this point
Quote Reply

Prev Next