Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help: Base Performance Rocketfuel as a replacement for EFS Pro
Quote | Reply
In recent years, I've used EFS Pro during the summers once temps crack 80 degrees, and EFS drink mix during cooler temps, and this plan has worked well. EFS Pro in cooler temps has too much in terms of electrolytes and can cause stomach issues, and EFS knows this and advises this approach. EFS drink mix is pretty sweet and that adds up on a long bike cool weather ride, whereas EFS Pro is so mild that there are no taste issues with that product.

So why consider changing to Base Performance Rocketfuel?

Well, even though I need lower electrolytes in cooler temps, the benefit of amino acids for those long cool weather rides can still be advantageous.

So, I looked into Base Performce Rocketfuel, which is 2 scoops of their drink mix, 2 scoops of their electrolytes and 1 scoop of their amino acid powder. I rode with it when temps were below 60 degrees and, yeah, that was too much electrolytes as it would be for EFS Pro, as well.

That aside, I'm struggling with the taste of the Base Performance mix. I should note that I struggle with the cucumber EFS Pro taste as well, whereas lemon lime is just fine. Base makes a lemon lime drink mix, but their amino acid powder comes in watermelon, strawberry and wild berry - no lemonlime to accompany the drink mix. I chose to mix strawberry/kiwi drink mix with strawberry amino powder, and it had such a strong taste that I was forcing myself to drink on my ride; but I did learn what drinking a rainbow would taste like - the leprechauns left me sore.

The Base drink mix on its own seems fine, so I tried the amino powder on its own and I think it is the culprit - I think the taste issue may be the artificial sugar used in the amino mix.

I really like the idea of being able to control the electrolytes and amino acids in my mix, so I want to see if anyone has a suggestion for Base Performance Rocketfuel.

(Infinite causes me stomach distress issues, so I am not looking for Infinite suggestions)

Much appreciated!

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 21, 19 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Base Performance Rocketfuel as a replacement for EFS Pro [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well shoot, I was really hoping for a response, especially since Base is about a mile from my place. I guess it's EFS Pro for now

Quote Reply
Re: Help: Base Performance Rocketfuel as a replacement for EFS Pro [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No experience with Base.... but have used EFS pro for several years now.

I use EFS pro in all weather conditions.... though it doesn't get below 60 a lot down here in Florida. Though I do end up taking less on those "cooler" days. How many scoops per bottle are you using with the EFS pro? Have you tried going with less scoops in cooler temps or just not fueling as much compared to those 80+ degree days?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Base Performance Rocketfuel as a replacement for EFS Pro [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
less scoops = less calories, and caloric needs don't decrease by much if at all just because it's cooler out; and if wanting the amino acids for their intended purpose, I can't assume that need diminishes with lower outside temps. Also, cooler temps in FL still come with high humidity, which means that even with cooler temps, the rate of perspiration won't decrease as much as it will in dryer conditions, right?

Thanks for the feedback! and yeah, I can take solid food more often in cooler temps and stick with EFS Pro year-round, so that's a logit solution.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
less scoops = less calories, and caloric needs don't decrease by much if at all just because it's cooler out; and if wanting the amino acids for their intended purpose, I can't assume that need diminishes with lower outside temps. Also, cooler temps in FL still come with high humidity, which means that even with cooler temps, the rate of perspiration won't decrease as much as it will in dryer conditions, right?

Thanks for the feedback! and yeah, I can take solid food more often in cooler temps and stick with EFS Pro year-round, so that's a logit solution.

Well one solution is you could always just buy your own amino acids from Bulk Supplements or another vendor and add them as needed. You would have to add the Rhodea as well if you wanted that effect. Otherwise I would just march down to the Base office and ask them why not just make a Amino in the same flavor as Hydro. Matt is a pretty reasonable dude.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Base Performance Rocketfuel as a replacement for EFS Pro [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good idea re: talking to Matt (minus the marching which I interpreted as a goose-step; a walk will suffice). I've dropped him a message

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
less scoops = less calories, and caloric needs don't decrease by much ....

So use less EFS and add in some carbo pro for cals?

https://www.amazon.com/...pounds/dp/B0036FH7OS

BTW, I tried the EFS pro cucumber,,,,,yeah,,,,it tastes horrible!!! I have over half a container of it that I can't use, its that bad, especially once it isn't cold anymore. And I'm typically not picky when it comes to taste.

The last few summers I've just used regular EFS and some extra calories via a couple gels or cut up bonk bar, and/or grab the banana halfs they give out at the feed stations.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Mar 24, 19 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: Help: Base Performance Rocketfuel as a replacement for EFS Pro [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know the reason, but carbo-pro does cause me some stomach issues. no clue why. but yeah, may try EFS Pro year round upping the gels/bars in the winter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use EFS + Carb Pro + Fructose. I use this in training and race so my stomach has had gallons of it by the time I am lining up.

If your stomach doesn't like CP, there are other options: sucrose, dextrose, and or fructose.
Quote Reply