Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help, Did I by the wrong size Cervelo?????
Quote | Reply
After much research I bought the P3Sl and went into my LBS to purchase it, I told them that I had been riding a 56cm frame and he said that I need to go with the 55cm frame, so without taking any measurements he ordered this frame for me and fitted it for me. But after riding it I knew something was wrong, it didnt feel right so I had another person do a bike fitting on me and he corrected all the screw ups, but something was still amiss so I went to another cervelo dealer for a third bike fitting and he took all my measurements and said that this bike is too small for me, he says the 58cm bike would have been a much better fit than what I had. He says that the the head tube is too small for me ( im riding in a non aggressive position therefore I have a lot of exposed stem) way to much for his liking, he says that i could (being a heavy upperbody rider 230lbs ) crack the frame at the head tube, wear out the bearings or crack the stem off, he even showed me how much it flexes which amazed me. And secondly because of my leg length the seat tube has to come way up, way too much for his likeing. So I asked him if cervelo would take it back in exchange for the right size and he says no but he say we can work with it and make the bike work, which he did. Im a little nervous riding this thing knowing the above what do you guys think.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: Help, Did I by the wrong size Cervelo????? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 230, you really need a frame that will hold you. Why a p3sl? Seems a bit light for you to begin with.

I wouldn't be too nervous to ride it but I would do something about it in a hurry.

I would sell that rig on ebay, salvage what you can from the purchase, and get a bike better suited for your size.

At 230, a pound or two on the bike will not make a great differance because its such a small % of your total weight when on the bike. Superlight frames are not made to last a lifetime. They are made to be light and fast but can be broken a bit easier. If you want a bike to ride for years I would stay away for the "sl" bikes and get a good Ti frame or something a bit more solid. If you have the $ to get a new frame every year or two, just swap it out of a bigger size and sell the smaller one on ebay or here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 55cm would fit me fine. Let me know if you want to sell the frame.

----------

Quote Reply
Re: Help, Did I by the wrong size Cervelo????? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is a lot of widom to what LaWoof says here.

I love the P3SL, have one myself. But it is not a bike for everyone.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Help, Did I by the wrong size Cervelo????? [LaWoof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought that these were solid aluminum bikes, with the double welds and all I figured that it would hold up well, I dont think that they are all that light anyway, my buddys bike is a 62cm cannondale that is lighter than mine and holds up well, thats what I get for thinking again, ha. So what bikes are out there for the heavier challenged athletes. Id hate to give this thing up because I am just getting used to it and Im smoking fast on it, it pisses the roadies of when I go zipping by them in the aero position.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Last edited by: Heavy D: Dec 6, 04 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A decent LBS should take that bike back if you just got it - this was their error. And will that SL hold you? Sure it will, it has...how long do you want it to hold you for?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they sent you Mr. Tibbs' bike on accident.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no law that says big guys can't ride P3's, but fit and frams size is critical. Cervelo claims to size their tri bikes to their road bikes so one would have suspected that a 55 cm is OK. However, different manufactures measure differently and your road bike may be measured differently than how Cervelo might measure it. A friend of mine road a 56 cm road bike of another brand and found his 55 cm P2K a bit small. He sold it and now has a 58 cm Soloist which fits him well. If you can test a 58 cm for a comparison it might be a good start.

It's sucks if you bought he wrong size. If so your best bet might be to ebay the frame and pick up a 58 cm on ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see a problem with the P3 holding you, but having too many spacers is a really bad idea. I wouldn't worry about cracking the frame at the headtube, but cracking the steerer tube is a real possiblity and very dangerous. Having a lot of spacers, and maybe even a carbon steerer is asking for serious trouble.

From your description, I would wonder if a P3 is the right bike for you at all. How many spacers do you have? If you are riding in an unaggressive position, the P3, with its short head tube, might not be the right bike at all. It is designed to allow riders to get a fairly aggressive position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, depending on your body type, there might be plenty of options, but if you weigh that much, you may want to consider a round tube bike rather than an aero tubed one - will likely be much stiffer than the aero tubes, especially under the load you produce at 230 lbs.

If I were your size, I would look at something like the Yaqui Ocotillo or the QR Santo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) you won't crack the frame, 230lb is absolutely no problem for a P3 (SL). In fact, it is probably the best tri bike you could wish for from that standpoint.

2) From a fit standpoint, tough to say. If fitting over the internet was possible, we'd do it. But it isn't.

E-mail me offline and I will try to help you sort through this.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. 55CM would fit me fine too.
Quote Reply
Re: Help, Did I by the wrong size Cervelo????? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, there you go! From the man himself.

Hey Gerard, got any used, blemished, old, in some way cheaper 58cm Soloists hanging about?
Quote Reply
Re: Help, Did I by the wrong size Cervelo????? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Gerard, Ill email you today

Quote Reply
I have the over under on this [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
at 2 years as to how long Gerard will continue to answer customer's questions on slowtwitch. For now, however, folks this is a truly amazing service.

We should all take advantage of it while we can. As for me, this is the reason that I bought a R2.5.
Quote Reply
Re: I have the over under on this [triyoshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noooooooo, please don't ALL take advantage of this.

Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: I have the over under on this [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We won't. But you should know that the kind of service and advice you proffer here reflects well on you and your company, and can only help your brand.

kiwipat

per ardua ad astra
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we are dealing with alot of unknowns. As many have stated, including Gerard, we don't know enough to say if the bike is a good or bad fit, but this is what I found for myself. I am 6'1, and I ride with my seat at 79.5 cm. My bike before the P3 was a Specialized M4 S works, size 58. I had some great races on the Specialized and I could generate some power, but it was a road bike with a curved post and the seat at the end of the rails. When the opportunity to buy a P3 came up, I debated for weeks between a 55 or a 58. I did measurements over and over again, and it was the reach, as measured on the Cervelo site which sold me on the 55. Compared to my Specialized, the reach on the 55 was longer already, so a 58 would have put me in a stretched out position. Anyway, Heavy D, remeasure your old ride and set it up to match on your P3 and then go from there. you might just be in a new position and you have to get used to it.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply