Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed disc Q for Demerly and AndyT
Quote | Reply
Help! I bought a Hed disc for IMC later this year and was surprised to find that its dishing and location of the hub for the cassette are slightly different than my Mavic / Ultegra hubed rims and my Rolf vector pros.

So whenever I want to run it, I have to change the stops on rear derailleur and adjust the indexing of the shifting plus adjust the rear brake caliper. Can I adjust the offset on the disc so that its the same as my other wheels?

Thanks, Graham
Quote Reply
Re: Hed disc Q for Demerly and AndyT [grahamkissack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Hed disk is the same way. I've found it easier to just adjust the derailer and brake calipers. I don't think this is all that uncommon with the hed disk. I also run mavic training wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I fould the problem to be worse with Hed than Zipp. Hed will try to adjust it. Usually get it right the second time.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed disc Q for Demerly and AndyT [timber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me its my Ksyrium wheels that are different. My Renn disc and H3's are all the same. You may be able to shim the cassette outboard a hair and fix it so they are all the same. I used some of the wheels manufacturing shims or shimano, just make sure they are stiff enough not to bend against the inside of where the cassette mounts against the hub. If the lock ring does not go on correctly thaen you have gone too far and must remove shims until it ratchets properly into place. I have sone this with my Mavic wheel to make it even with my Renn and H3's. I still have to move the rear brake caliper .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Yup. We have experienced that too. Basically, our answer has been to try to fit race wheels to the bike here in the shop the determine if any drivetrain adjustment is needed for optimal shifting. With most wheels, there is no adjustment required. With some, you have to do at least some adjusting of the derailleur with the barrel adjuster.

I do not know if Hed can make some type of adjustment to correct this. We've never asked them. -Sorry I am not of more assitance on this one. In general we are just put the race wheels on, make the adjustment the day before the event, and then go from there.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Hed disc Q for Demerly and AndyT [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok ... here's the fix (I'm a former wrench). The hub and dish were just running too close to the drive side so I inserted a 1mm spacer onto the axle inside the locking nut on the drive side and removed the same amount on the other side which shifted the whole wheel about 1mm away from the drive train. Now its perfect. No changes needed.

Thanks for the suggests. Graham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand how you could insert a 1mm spacer onto the axle inside the locking nut on the drive side, but how do you remove the same amount on the other side ?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an excellent idea.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply