Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed aerobars
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I have just bought some hed aero bars (1 piece) and want to cut the carbon extensions. I want to cut some of the bend off, however wondered if this will affect the insertion of the bar end shifter and strength or stiffness of the bar. Also are there any tricks to cutting carbon?

Cheers

JA
Quote Reply
Re: Hed aerobars [JAOZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey JAOZ,

Good choice. I really like Hed bars. Don't cut the end with the metal sleeve. That is there to accept bar end shifters. If you cut that off you can't mount shifters in the bare carbon. We made some striaght extensions from carbon tubing from a pair of Profile Carbon Strikes, which really are not carbon, but cosemetically wrapped aluminum tubing with a carbon facade over them. That enabled us to put bar end shifters in straight extensions.

A better alternative would be to phone Steve and Anne Hed and ask for some straighter extensions. They may have some thee they are willing to sell, then you'd have something custom!

There is an odd looking carbon fiber hacksaw blade that does a very nice job of cutting the carbon tubing without fraying the ends. Most hot rod places sell these blades. They are a little pricey but tend to last forever. Always use a guide of mitre box to get a nice, straight cut and be certain to finish the end with the cut carefully. We have a nice, gentle de-burring tool that does a good job following by some steel wool and then even some clear epoxy to prevent the cut from fraying.

Be sure you only cut from the back end! Good luck. You'll like those bars.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply