Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed 3 or Renn Disc
Quote | Reply
Subject has probably been beaten to death but I'm about to buy and I have limited budget, so I can only choose one.

I know it depends on the course and if it's a windy day the the disc is not the way to go, but I'm leaning towards the disc.

Opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, if it's a windy day, the disk is even a better choice. Unless you are a poor bike handler, then go with the Hed3.

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [tri-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you think the Hed 3's are generally faster under all condition types - except on windy days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you should go with the disk under almost all conditions. The Hed3 is nice, but the disk is just as good in a head/tailwind and faster in a crosswind. The disk looks and sounds cooler too :)

Trev Williams
http://www.thedoctrine.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [tri-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're right. I just wanted to hear someone else say it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Renn Disc were you planning to buy? Also, what do you plan to have in the front?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [antbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to buy the new Kaiser clincher 700c. In front I haven't decided but I was leaning towards the Zipp 303 in clincher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got my 575 this winter and have ridden it in some brutal wind on the flat ass prairie this spring. starting my third year, so still a relative newbie, i can confirm that the disk handles better in the wind and does stabilize my deep carbon front better than if i run it's twin on the rear. disks being a problem in the wind is a fallacy and i have proved to myself with a minimal cycling background.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
both good but I argue a disk is faster, strictly anecdotally- no scientific basis here.

Consider the total wheel weight too. That is a factor especially on varied terrain.

Both are excellent wheels, excellent companies.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it helps I have both. The disc is a hair faster as long as you can handle the winds. The H3 is a better all around wheel. You can always use it. Its fast, overbuilt and it stays true. I only weigh 145lbs but my freind Frank is 185 and his wheels are 7 year old Specialized ones, which is the exact same wheel. They are still true and he trains on them also. Here is a thought if you are on a budget. Go to RA cycles steals and deals page under wheels and Specialized. I just got a brand new 1997 Tri Spoke for $200 front, $350 rear or $550 for the set. The carbon weave is a little different, the weight is virtually the same. Mine are 650c clinchers, not sure exactly what they have left. I run a set of H3's all the time on my B2 and a Renn disc and the Specialized on my P2. Good luck and have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [woodenshoes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I owned Zipp 303's, save your money. I dumped them on Ebay. Nothing wrong with them except that they are slow. I don't care how cool the decals are. We did alot of testing, compared to a H3 or even a DA 7700 they were much slower. Advertising does not make for a fast wheel! When was the last time you saw Postal with a Zipp 303 front wheel. The ceramic bearing thing is also a myth. I am an ex f14 pilot and an enginneer from USNA. Ceramic bearings were meant for the Tf-30 engine in my Tomcat turning at 30000+ RPM. They don't make much difference at 95 RPM. I cannot remember the last time the my wheel bearings got to 800 degrees celcius which is what ceramic was designed for.
Last edited by: pjrubin: May 28, 05 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote, "In front I haven't decided but I was leaning towards the Zipp 303 in clincher."

tritnow,

Don't make this mistake.

If you are on a budget, put a Hed 3 on the front. Its faster and more durable. Lance can ride anything he wants and he rides a Hed 3 on the front. Do you really think he would ride a slower wheel for any reason and let someone else beat him? Its not just the engine. By the way, his whole team rides the Hed 3 on the front.

The disc with the Hed 3 on the front will handle great with the exception of getting caught in a hurricane. You are not likely to be riding then anyway.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: May 28, 05 23:33
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should listen to Wantturidefast, and in reality the aerodymics of the front wheel is critical. The trispoke design is so fast. 55mm rim is controllable in every wind situation I have encountered and there are pages of data supporting its aerodynamics. Oh yeah , and when I put them on my bike its like adding 1 mph for the same power output as compared to the Ksyrium elites that I train on. Try not to take too much advice from wheel owners unless they have tried alot of different combos because when people spend $1300+ on a wheelset they tend to really support them. I learned that lesson the hard way." If you are a participant it does not matter, if you are competing, it does matter"
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly I never really thought about having a Hed 3 on the front. That really does make a lot of sense.

Budget wise I'm tight, but I don't spend a lot every year and when I do I want it to be the best and last.

I'm going to look around and give this combination serious consideration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going to consider Hed3 for the front and back or Hed3 front and Disc Rear?
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 or Renn Disc [antbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely a disc for the rear. I have still not decided the front wheel. Maybe a Hed 3 for the front?
Quote Reply