Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart rate training zone
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone !
I'm setting my HR training zones and have a problem. During a 20k bike time trial during a triathlon race, I average 175bpm, the same when doing a 20min threshold test.

I choose 177 as my threshold heart rate.

I found diferents caclulators, giving me diferents zone… I use the British Cycling training plans, but the zone the give me are:
-z2 119-145
z3 145-165
z4 165-183

So sweetspot is given in high z3-mid z4 so around 160-175.

Training peak give me:
z2 141-155
z3 157-163
z4 165-173

When training in z2 or high z4, it's very different and can change the purpose of the session.
In addition, I Don't found much information about sweetspot training heart rate. In the fastcat website, they advice 94-99% of threshold heart rate for triathlete… This is the same as z4 training in Friel system..

If someone can help me with setting my training zone and sweetspot ?

Thank you
Ivan
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate training zone [ivan2794] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An informative sweet spot post from Coggan himself: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6545049#p6545049
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ivan2794 wrote:
Hi everyone !
I Don't found much information about sweetspot training heart rate.
That's because it's now close to the year 2020, and most people do sweet spot intervals with a power meter. It's so much easier to set training zones. Heart rate lags at the beginning of each interval, and if you are aiming to hit a target heart rate at the beginning, then you will be overcooking yourself. Here is a graph to illustrate my point:

Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate training zone [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the answers !

I think your session shows that HR can be a good Indicator for sweetspot training. We Don't have to look for target HR in the first few minutes, but after a while the HR is very stable between the repetitions.
A mix between RPE and checking RPE at the middle/end of the repetition could be a good solution.

My doubt was about the british cycling training zones: they seem really large and hard no ? Threshold between 94-105% of FLTHR and z3 83-94% of FLTHR.

Edit: after some research, I found that BC plans are based on Coggans zones, Friel zones are more conservative.
I'll stick with Coggans zones since it's BC methodology

Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to do a flexible approach where you use HR, RPE and power as well, a little bit of all three. The problem with using power targets for intervals is that without necessarily realizing it, you are setting limits on your achievement. Often the biggest barriers are above the neck rather than below it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate training zone [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
The problem with using power targets for intervals is that without necessarily realizing it, you are setting limits on your achievement.

Please explain.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart rate training zone [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I just mean, you go out and do a field test to estimate your ftp based on a statistical model, then your training plan says something like “power at Vo2max is generally x percent of ftp,” so you plug in that value, and you spend a month working there, intervalling your prescribed interval, resting your prescribed rest, etc.

But what if power at Vo2max for you is higher than that? What if you could recover faster than say three minutes or whatever? Power can keep you honest when the pain sets in, but it seems to me you can shortchange yourself too. Especially in the winter months, indoors, on a smart trainer w erg mode. Sometimes set it and forget it is not what you want!

So, every once in a while I just go out and hammer, or do my intervals based on RPE alone w the power fields removed off my Garmin. Then look at the file later and see what it looks like. Eye opening sometimes!
Quote Reply