Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Rate Variability vs Training Stress Balance
Quote | Reply
I'm paying a lot more attention to recovery and training stress management these days, and finding it's worth the effort. I'd be curious to hear thoughts from those who track both heart rate variability and training stress balance. Do you 'listen' to one more than the other? Do you see much correlation? What's your take on how to use the information?

I'm seeing some correlation, but also quite a bit of deviation. Somedays HRV is near or above baseline, even though TSB is quite negative (negative 25+). Other times they are almost in lock step. I'm not finding it's an exact science, however. More like green, yellow and red lights. If they both are showing a lot of stress, that's a flashing red light, and I back off intensity/volume. If one or the other is considerably down, a yellow. And when they're both positive, I take it as a green light for longer/ harder efforts. I'm also paying more attention to how my body feels along with what the data is saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Variability vs Training Stress Balance [nycbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used WKO for years, and I recently got the HRV4Training app.

I gave up on TSB years ago. Seemed fairly arbitrary. Great legs with -25, terrible legs with + 15, and vice versa. Finally started going by feel and had much more success.

Same for the HRV app. Frankly, I think mine is either super gimmicky or seriously messed up. The other day I took it and got 9.1. Took it again 2 minutes later and got 7.9. Took it again straight away and got 8.2. I can never get two consistent back to back readings.

So I just go by feel. If I feel good, I go hard. If I don't, I go easy and steady. If I'm too tired to ride, I don't. I've got 14 years of riding as a Cat 1, and I'm still hitting CP PRs, so it works for me.
Quote Reply