Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Headset spacers: how many is too many?
Quote | Reply
How many spacers is the recommended max for a cromo steerer? I've got 4.5cm and adding one more (to 5cm) would make things perfect but I kind of feel like I'm pushing the envelope as it is. I can go to an up angle stem if need be or just live with my hands being a little lower than I'd like (its an MTB so hand position is not that critical) but both of those would require cutting the steerer tube which I'd rather avoid if I can.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Headset spacers: how many is too many? [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know absolutely what the limit would be with you--it would depend on the terrain, your weight, and how much you can yank on the bars. For a steel steerer, 5 cm may not look pretty, but it shouldn't be any problem unless you are a big gorilla and ride downhill at 70 mph. Steel is quite strong.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: Headset spacers: how many is too many? [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that a general rule of thumb is 1.5x the diameter of the steerer tube. So, a fork with a 1" diameter could have up to 1.5" of spacers (~37mm or 3.7cm). A 1 1/8" diameter steerer tube could have up to about 43mm (4.3cm) of spacers or abot 1.7".

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Headset spacers: how many is too many? [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably a good rule of thumb, but I think it would be critical to skew your rule depending on the material used for the steering tube. not all materials are equally strong.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply