Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice?
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to head to Madison to cheer on a few friends doing the race (a few first timers, a few vets). Anyone watched the race before have any advice?

How hard is it to move around to different points to try to catch friends on the run? Driving to catch them on the bike loop seems out of the question if you want to cheer them thru transitions.
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice? [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim - Park yourself at the exit ramp out of T1 to see them off on the bike. 10,000 people at the exit to the swim so they won't see/appreciate you there.
Bike - Get to Verona for the pass through town. Shouldn't miss it. Worth the effort to get there and you'll have plenty of time to make T2. It is not a big deal to drive out and back.
Run - Hang out around the capital circle and then you can easily walk down to the run turnaround if desired. Of course, if you're friends are quite spread out you'll have to choose.
Overall, it is quite easy to get around. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd stop by Verona just to see the town folks there and maybe eat some barbeque. But for a real view of the bike, I'd try and get on one of the hills. Bikers are going a lot slower so you get to see friends longer. And that's when they really need the cheers anyway.

You should have plenty of time to watch them out on the course on the bike and still get back for the run. Even if you're at Verona for the second time through, they still have 30+ minutes before they get back to T2.

I'd go back and forth between the finish line and the turn around at State Street for good views of friends on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Watch the swim start from the Helix as it's a great vantage point. After the first swim loop, venture over to the bike mount area and watch them head out. Take the free shuttle out to Verona, enjoy a bratwurst or two and cheer on your friends. Hop the shuttle back and head to State St. Go to the opposite end as the Capitol Because the course design has a turnaround on State, you will see them four times throughout the run, have Starbucks and other restaurants for food, and a cool aid station where you can jump in and be a volunteer and hand out drinks. After that you still have time to walk to the finish before they get there.

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to park near the capitol and strip the folks as they come out of the water...then I am going to get on my bike and ride to Verona...then I am going to beat the walls at the finish till midnight.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I apologize in advance if you peel off my wetsuit and it reeks of piss... ...on second thoughts, no I don't, you knew what you were getting yourself into! Thanks for volunteering though, much appreciated!!

There are three kinds of people, those who can count, and those who can't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't realize there was a shuttle to Verona -- free or not, that seems like the way to go.

And the State Street turn-around is the location I was eyeing for the run. But since it stood out to me as an ideal location, I figured it would also occur to others and be a mess to move around. Guess we'll see.

I'm going to be there til midnight too. Anyone who can tough out 17 hours deserves the cheer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the swim, go to Old Sauk Pass Rd and Timber LN,to enjoy the best part of all the bike course: "bitch hill". Is the longest hill of the course and is cover with lots of trees...very nice to sit with a cooler and watch all the suffering faces coming along. Since the athletes are going at 3 mph, you can spot your buddies and run next to them for some cheering/support. They will appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice? [Wiso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have any driving instructions on how to get to the climbs and where to park to watch? I've been telling my friends that is where they should go to watch, but I have no idea how to direct them to get there. Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Record...I'll see you at "stripping duty"!! It is one of three areas I am going to be volunteering for on race day...stripping then taking bikes then helping at the finish line.....

Best of Luck to all IMMoo'ers...

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have different advice than many of the other folks:

Swim- actually stand on the helix that overlooks the swim. The athletes will run right by you on their way out of the water and you can say hi and high five your athlete as he/she goes by.

Bike- I have found that the last hill that leads into Mt Horeb to be an excellent place to watch. It is a hill and it is straight enough that you have a fair amount of time to pick out an individual athlete. It is not that crowded so it will be easier for the athlete to find/hear you. You can also get there without driving on the course by taking a left at the McDonalds as you come into town and then a right when you see the high school (you will actually drive through the back parking lots). The featured hills on the course (Old Sauk-greatest area of difficulty, bitch hill, and Midtown) will have lots of people which might be more fun for you but might make it harder for your athlete to pick you out.

Run- A sidewalk table on State Street for you to eat and drink while watching the folks go by will be great for you. Getting out at the University Bay fields is nice for the athlete as it is kind of a lonely place on the course. Having a bike can make it easy to see a person at several places on the run course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, why the InfiIT only post?
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep- From the Monona terrace (swim), take John Nolen Rd west (going towards 12/18 aka Beltline), then take 12/18 West, exit on Old Sauk Rd and then take a left (west). It will take you to Timber Lane. You can park on that area, but if you want to get tree coverage and get to the longest hill, take a right on Timber Lane and keep driving for about a mile. See you there!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice? [thomps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any thoughts on how long the shuttle would take or how far to any of the hills are from where the shuttle would let you off??

I'm trying to see if it eould be worth the trip out to Verona sice I need to be back at T2 @ 12:30 for bike catching duty....

Thx,

Paul

----------------------------------------------------------------
Sponsored by RUDY PROJECT...check out http://www.e-rudy.com
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Götzen-Dämmerung (1899)
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice? [Wiso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can park right on Timber Lane where the climb is? I don't remember cars being on that hill, but my memory is terrible. :) If you can't park on the hill itself, where does one park? Probably better to park off the route anyway, so you can leave and drive back to town whenever you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Heading to IMMoo to cheer... advice? [Drinyth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Probably better to park off the route anyway, so you can leave and drive back to town whenever you want.
That's exactly what I do.
Quote Reply