Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Headaches from knots in the shoulder/neck
Quote | Reply
Over the last couple months I have been dealing with a sore neck where I am getting quite a bit of cracking(just like the knuckles). I have also been dealing with a good knot as the base of my neck where it meets the shoulder. Because of this, I have been getting some dull headaches. My sleep has also been off as I used to get 8 hours guaranteed but now wake up a couple times a night.

I'm not sure if all this is due to my neck situation or if possibly I'm overtrained. Last race was 2 weeks ago at trans Iowa and I also completed the dopey challenge at the beginning of the year. Given myself 2 weeks off after each event .

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and I appreciate the advice.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Re: Headaches from knots in the shoulder/neck [triscooteremu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had something similar a few years back. Chiro helped up to a point, but I found ART really helped (about 6 sessions, plus I would approximate it on my own daily).

I'd recommend someone who offers Chiro, ART, Masso, and Graston. That way they can provide what will be most effective....not just what they offer.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: May 12, 14 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to have a massage stick? I don't know if it would help you, but I found that massaging the neck and shoulders with a massage stick is wonderful.

You mention Trans Iowa - I would assume you've been on the bike quite a bit, too? Depending on how comfortable you are on the bike, this could be related.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Headaches from knots in the shoulder/neck [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis,

I have used the roller. It was good but I think I just haven't used it enough. I am going to try the ART to see if that can help. With that, I think the roller will also help in taking care of my problem. We shall see.

Trans Iowa was 340 miles of biking. I only completed 140 of them but I was riding all winter long and it may be the culprit. I am off to running now so hopefully the break will help.

Disco
South Bend, IN

Habitual Line Stepper..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a very similar issue since January...

I have some knot(s) in my upper left shoulder that is pinching a nerve in that area. About once a week it causes a burning sensation where the neck meets my shoulder.....

I have seen 3 different doctors for this and had X-Rays and an MRI.... Everything has been negative....

I have had some massages and also been to physical therapy.....

Swimming, biking, or running, does not aggravate the area so I keep training....

Hook Em' Horns
Quote Reply