Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hawaii Wheel Combo Selection
Quote | Reply
With my journey to Kona in the next few months I have many hard decisions to make, and will be posting many questions like this, prioritised of course.

As some of you may well know, Hawaii doesnt allow discs, so my problem lies with wheel selection and setup for the race. I currently run a Renn 575 disc and xtreme trispoke front wheel. This is however illegal in Hawaii. I also have Gigantex 45mm deep carbon rims, front and rear - with 20/24 DT aero bladed spokes. They ride nicely with Michelin Pro Race tyres.

My question is, would the trispoke front be more aero than the deep rim. Also factor in style of a trispoke front/deep rimmed rear. I dont think I would have handling issues as Im a strongish cyclist (sub 5hr). Or do I just go the deep rim combo?

pinkboy...anyone willing to lend me HED 3's front/rear? ;-)

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Wheel Combo Selection [pinkboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"My question is, would the trispoke front be more aero than the deep rim."

Have no definite data but I'd guess yes because any aero studies I've read usually put tri spokes first although some deep rims such as 404's can be pretty close.

Might be a question of aesthetics!
Quote Reply
Re: Hawaii Wheel Combo Selection [pinkboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pinkboy...looking forward to seeing you in Kona in october!

If possible, bring both sets of what you have and try the different combinations while training on Queen Kaahumanu Highway. Of course race day's conditions are almost unpredictable and it changes every couple of miles along the course, but at least you can get a feel for what may work best for you.

My personal choice when I still rode were the trispokes (keep in mind I live in Kona). The first time I rode with a pair I couldn't stop laughing. Because of the aerodynamics of the blades (create lift as air moves over them), when the wind increased I could actually feel the wheels speed up. Take a wheel, put it on a truing stand, point a fan to blow perpendicular to it. The wheel moves, a perpetual motion machine. Hhhhhmmmmm.