Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Haven't Post In a While...
Quote | Reply
On August 4th, 2021, I came home from a 15 mile run and the back of my right leg hurt. I assumed I had over done it. It did not get better, it got worse.

Jump to April of 2022. After physical therapy, message, acupuncture, cold laser, active release, and 4 doctors (I was walking with a cane by this time) a neurosurgeon ran a contrast MRI and found a 14 mm growth between L4 and L5. He asked my insurance to approve surgery and spine stabilization. I waited. He told me it was probable benign but it need to come out. It would soon cause really big problems.

On May 15th, 2022, I woke up at 4 am knowing something was badly wrong. I had wet the bed and I couldn't move correctly. I was paralyzed from the waist down on my right side. Off to the emergency room, then transferred to a spine trauma center, and emergency surgery. No more waiting on the insurance company to approve, and this is what the surgeon had warned me about

That corrected the problem. I could walk and no pain, other than that associated with major back surgery. A week after I was released I got a fever that would come and go. I went for COVID test and that was negative. I called my family doctor. She took one look at my back and sent me to the ER. The ER did blood tests determined that I was in the early stages of sepsis. A infectious disease doctor was called, then a plastic surgeon was called, and I was in surgery 5 hours after my initial doctor's appointment and on a Friday night. I woke up around 2 am in ICU with an IV that went into my shoulder and 7 IV bags hanging. The infectious disease doctor, who had zero bed side manner, told me that if I had ignored the symptoms for an few days it would have been a life threatening problem.

I was released to run (I had been walking) and swim on Friday. The last time I ran was November of 2021. The last swim or bike was in February. I swam on Saturday and I've lost about 15 seconds/100 m. I ran on Monday and I am pain free. For 3.5 miles I averaged 15 minutes a mile of running and walking, and that was pushing the pace. The 15 mile run last August was a easy 2:10 effort. I will ride my bike for the first time on Saturday. I expect that to go much like the running.

I have a long road of recovery ahead of me, but no pain and I'm alive. All told, this could have been so much worse, especially the infection at the surgical sight.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Last edited by: Slowman: Jul 22, 22 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't Post In a While... [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horrible story with a happy conclusion. Stay strong, brother, and continue to enjoy the ride.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good lord - welcome back and i'm glad you're alive.

this sounds like a case of a whole lot of pain and trouble that could have been avoided if some of the first docs you interacted with had dug a bit deeper . . . sounds like things were solved, in the end, but hardly in the best way possible.

you'll find the fitness coming back - muscle memory is a hell of a thing!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy mackerel Jack, sorry to see all you've been through. And I'm glad you made it though.

Enjoy the bike ride Saturday, you've earned it!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geeze! That isn't what I expecting to read. I think we can confidently say that alas all of ST can agree on something . . . we are all pulling for you and wishing you the best!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit man, that was some serious stuff you (and are) going through. Glad you have come out the other end, and not with the worst case scenario.

But just another highlight of our for profit insurance health care system. First of all, glad you had insurance, but sucks when it is them calling the shots on your health and well being, and not the doctors...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uch AWFUL

mend up strong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back with a good back :) Seriously, glad you are doing well and are ready to train again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! Glad you are OK and on the road back.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, glad you made it through. So sorry you didn’t get a faster response from your insurance company but not surprising as he name of the game seems to be avoid the large payout. Keep working it. Though it sounds like you’re still at manual transmissionjack, you’ll be back to automatic in no time.
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't Post In a While... [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly enough, when the surgeon did the MRI and found the growth, he pulled up an MRI (No contrast) from November of 2021. Those are read by the technician and annotated, then the doctor reviews it. That doctor (and the technician) dismissed the white dot on the MRI as an artifact. The new doctor said that he was going to call the first doctor because there is no such thing as an artifact on an MRI.

That white dot, less than a .5 mm in diameter, was the growth in its early stages pushing directly on the sciatic nerve, hence the leg pain that everyone assumed was sciatica, and all the treatment that followed.

To add to the story, I decided to try an acupuncturist in March. The one I chose was an old Chinese doctor that was highly recommended. It turns out he is an MD, and after talking to me told me I had a back problem and needed to see a neurosurgeon. Acupuncture would be a waste of time. So much for stereotypes. In 20 minutes he figure out what no one else had in 6 months.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Interestingly enough, when the surgeon did the MRI and found the growth, he pulled up an MRI (No contrast) from November of 2021. Those are read by the technician and annotated, then the doctor reviews it. That doctor (and the technician) dismissed the white dot on the MRI as an artifact. The new doctor said that he was going to call the first doctor because there is no such thing as an artifact on an MRI.

That white dot, less than a .5 mm in diameter, was the growth in its early stages pushing directly on the sciatic nerve, hence the leg pain that everyone assumed was sciatica, and all the treatment that followed.

To add to the story, I decided to try an acupuncturist in March. The one I chose was an old Chinese doctor that was highly recommended. It turns out he is an MD, and after talking to me told me I had a back problem and needed to see a neurosurgeon. Acupuncture would be a waste of time. So much for stereotypes. In 20 minutes he figure out what no one else had in 6 months.

Malpractice by the first doctor?
Glad to hear you are back at it.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't Post In a While... [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly. I would talk to a lawyer even in a country less litigious than the U.S.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy hell, man!!!

What an insane journey!!

So glad it’s got a happy ending.
Welcome back, Jack!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after reading your story, I am glad to see that the conclusion is a happy one and you are on the road back to fitness.

Tridad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes, glad to hear you are pain free and on the mend.
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't Post In a While... [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:

Malpractice by the first doctor?
Glad to hear you are back at it.

Oddly, the standard for which payouts are judged as I understand it, is what the eventual damages are to your life and lifestyle, once you’re fully recovered.

I broke my arm a couple years ago. The ER refused to set it and sent me home to see the ortho the next day. The ortho set it incorrectly and it never healed. He looked at an X-ray every week and said “looks good.” Eventually after 8 weeks in a cast it displaced again at the same place, so a non-union. But, because a second doctor set it correctly and eventually (6 more weeks) healed correctly my attorney said it wouldn’t be worth pursuing a civil action because the award wouldn’t match the cost of the lawsuit because my arm is okay now.

Seems counterproductive. I didn’t want financial reward for being hurt, but I would have liked for the system to understand the mistakes that were made and possibly change to meet future needs.

Attorney quoted me $75,000.00 retainer to get started.
Quote Reply
Re: Haven't Post In a While... [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, didn’t want to distract from the thread which is way more serious and powerful than my broken arm.

OP, I’m sorry you went through all of this, but I’m glad you seem to be on the road to recovery!
Quote Reply