Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have any of you ever gone back to Mechanical after building a bike with di2
Quote | Reply
The question is pretty self-explanatory. If any of you have done this I would just like to know your reasoning.
Quote Reply
Re: Have any of you ever gone back to Mechanical after building a bike with di2 [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to try out an SRAM 1x (got an old collectors item frame off eBay, and built it with other bits and pieces lying about). TBH I really like the single ring up front just as much as the digital shifting, best would to have both.

So I didn't really 'go back', more of an experiment in what that kind of set up is like.
Last edited by: SteveMc: Oct 12, 18 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Have any of you ever gone back to Mechanical after building a bike with di2 [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
The question is pretty self-explanatory. If any of you have done this I would just like to know your reasoning.

I did for a 1x setup that I use in terrible conditions, but only because I didn't feel like spending extra money. Anything beyond that reason, hell no. I would trust Di2 in those conditions because it has been bullet proof for me in everything from -5C and snowy to hot, humid and 30C+. Di2 is so much better. I was a skeptic. I have a 6070 di2 system, 6080, 8000.

Di2 is so damn rock solid. I have so much good experience with Di2. Less so with eTap, but eTap was still pretty good (better than mechanical anyway)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did. My main road bike is a Cervelo R3, the model just before they went internal cable routing. Tried di2 but didn’t see any benefit, I’m mechanically minded so actually love tinkering with my groupset and find the Dura Ace 9000 I replaced the di2 with to be in every way as good as far as shifting was concerned, I just didn’t have to worry about wires being taped to my bike (something the OCD side of me just couldn’t abide). Personally I think mechanical looks better on externally routed bikes.

TT bike is di2 and wouldn’t change for the world. Base bar shifters are too bloody useful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have but it's temporary. Old bike had 10 speed di2. New (used) bike has 10 speed mechanical.
I didn't wanna transfer parts bc my newer wheelset is 11 speeds and didn't wanna stay 10 speeds if I can have 11.

Needless to say as soon as i can upgrade to di2 or etap i will do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Have any of you ever gone back to Mechanical after building a bike with di2 [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can always just put on a spacer on those wheels for a 10 speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Have any of you ever gone back to Mechanical after building a bike with di2 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
You can always just put on a spacer on those wheels for a 10 speed.
Yes. Just the brat in me wants 11 speeds. This way I'm only discs away from being current.

Whereas before i was 1 gear less and discs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once dreamed I had Di2... then I woke up and still had SRAM Red mechanical. Does that count?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

I haven't "gone back" per se - because I never fully converted all of my bikes. I've had electronic, mechanical, 1x, 2x, 3x, single speed...

For me - the only place that I think electronic is a kinda-sorta "must" is with triathlon super bikes. As in - tons of integrated / hidden everything. Replacing cables can be REALLY difficult when it's all hidden through the bar, stem, head tube, and frame. So the fewer cables I have to replace = better. Plus it's nice to have shifters on the brake levers and aerobars. And at $10k+ price points, you're usually signing up for electronic anyways. But I guess if you have that much money you probably aren't doing your own service... so buy whatever you want and pay someone else to fix it ;)

Caveats:
-The junction box has to be put in an easily accessible place, and I MUCH prefer the newer Di2 that you can charge by plugging into the junction box (vs older versions where you had to remove the battery).
-If you fly with the bike in a bike box, this can all get a lot more complicated, with batteries inside of the seatpost, wiring up quick disconnects, etc. There are a handful of expert mechanics that can make your life easier, like Phil Casanta at Hypercat in California.

Otherwise, if I'm on a road bike, mountain bike, or bike that's more simple in general - I prefer mechanical. Overall I find it easier to live with and it's less expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Have any of you ever gone back to Mechanical after building a bike with di2 [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

I haven't "gone back" per se - because I never fully converted all of my bikes. I've had electronic, mechanical, 1x, 2x, 3x, single speed...

For me - the only place that I think electronic is a kinda-sorta "must" is with triathlon super bikes. As in - tons of integrated / hidden everything. Replacing cables can be REALLY difficult when it's all hidden through the bar, stem, head tube, and frame. So the fewer cables I have to replace = better. Plus it's nice to have shifters on the brake levers and aerobars. And at $10k+ price points, you're usually signing up for electronic anyways. But I guess if you have that much money you probably aren't doing your own service... so buy whatever you want and pay someone else to fix it ;)

Caveats:
-The junction box has to be put in an easily accessible place, and I MUCH prefer the newer Di2 that you can charge by plugging into the junction box (vs older versions where you had to remove the battery).
-If you fly with the bike in a bike box, this can all get a lot more complicated, with batteries inside of the seatpost, wiring up quick disconnects, etc. There are a handful of expert mechanics that can make your life easier, like Phil Casanta at Hypercat in California.

Otherwise, if I'm on a road bike, mountain bike, or bike that's more simple in general - I prefer mechanical. Overall I find it easier to live with and it's less expensive.

See that's why I was actually thinking about going back with speed concept you can even hide everything mechanical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've replaced a bunch of cables (both shift and brake) on the Speed Concept, and it's a bear. I've spent many, many hours. The initial setup with Di2 can be a bit harder, especially if you want it all to be *perfectly* hidden and all with exact-length wires - but then you never have to route shift-stuff again. Just hope that your fit never changes significantly, or you decide you want a different base bar / aerobar, or have a bike box that requires a lot of disassembly. That can get rough regardless of drivetrain. Wireless SRAM gets an upvote in this scenario.

If I had the money to buy a Speed Concept 9.whatever with Di2 and all that jazz, I'd just have a top-shelf mechanic do it all for me, and then ship my bike via Tribike Transport (and cross my fingers that I don't have a problem during the race). But my personal bikes are more simple than that, and I like working with my hands with mechanical things, so all my stuff is mechanical.
Quote Reply
Re: Have any of you ever gone back to Mechanical after building a bike with di2 [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
I've replaced a bunch of cables (both shift and brake) on the Speed Concept, and it's a bear. I've spent many, many hours. The initial setup with Di2 can be a bit harder, especially if you want it all to be *perfectly* hidden and all with exact-length wires - but then you never have to route shift-stuff again. Just hope that your fit never changes significantly, or you decide you want a different base bar / aerobar, or have a bike box that requires a lot of disassembly. That can get rough regardless of drivetrain. Wireless SRAM gets an upvote in this scenario.

If I had the money to buy a Speed Concept 9.whatever with Di2 and all that jazz, I'd just have a top-shelf mechanic do it all for me, and then ship my bike via Tribike Transport (and cross my fingers that I don't have a problem during the race). But my personal bikes are more simple than that, and I like working with my hands with mechanical things, so all my stuff is mechanical.

Thanks for the info. I built my first bike this past year by myself with the help of some feedback from a couple of people on slowtwitch. One or two of them might be heavily medicated now from all the questions but I built that bike with di2 and I intend on keeping it but I'm giving consideration to either building a speed concept or tracking down a P4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until u decide u want to change your position. It’s so easy with Di2 on the SC to just unplug and switch things up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.[/quote]I built my first bike this past year by myself with the help of some feedback from a couple of people on slowtwitch. One or two of them might be heavily medicated now from all the questions .[/quote]
Lol :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

I obviously like most people started on mech and when I did upgrade to di2 it was like a dream come true! No way would I ever be able to make my own adjustments on mech system like I can do in a di2!

Also as for your question of going back to mech after having di2... would you go back to regular TV after having experienced HD+ resolution?! Lol I did not think so either at least that's how I feel about it anyways

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply