Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anyone actually done 'most' of the non-bike workouts in the Trainerroad Triathlon plans?
Quote | Reply
Curious - Has anyone actually done 'most' of the non-bike workouts in the Trainerroad Triathlon plans?

I see lots of posts about folks here and elsewhere using TR successfully for the bike training of their races, but it seems that nobody is actually following or even doing more than a trivial amount of the recommended swim or run workouts.

I may actually try following the Oly plan more or less with small modifications for my run/swim level - I'm at the point in tri where it's more important for me to just do workouts regularly than obsess over the details, but just curious if anyone out there is actually doing these workouts and how it worked out for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone actually done 'most' of the non-bike workouts in the Trainerroad Triathlon plans? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve followed them more often than not. I’m mostly training for Olympic and 70.3 distances. I also come from a swimming background so I only swim twice a week. The bike I do as prescribed. I followed the run pretty regularly until I got hurt when doing speed work. I’m not a great runner and I likely didn’t have about running base to be messing with speed work. So now I use the run workouts as a guide but just focus on distance and mpw. For swimming I skip the drills, do a warmup, then the main set as prescribed, a kick set and a smallish cooldown. As I write this I realize I’m deviating from the plans more lately than when I started joined 3 years ago. I do get the feeling that they aren’t comfortable or don’t know or both how to really prescribe run and swim on more than a superficial level.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone actually done 'most' of the non-bike workouts in the Trainerroad Triathlon plans? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not. I really like the bike programs/progressions, in both the cycling and the tri plans. But for me, there isn't enough running. I'm not a good runner, and I've found I need much much (much) more consistency in running to run reasonably well (that is, I need to run six days a week for many weeks in a row to really feel good). But running is so personal, I'm sure others with a strong run background would perform very well.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In one of the recent podcasts a Kona Qualifer had used a full volume program. I'm going to use it for my upcoming 70.3 season.
Quote Reply
Re: Has anyone actually done 'most' of the non-bike workouts in the Trainerroad Triathlon plans? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
I do not. I really like the bike programs/progressions, in both the cycling and the tri plans. But for me, there isn't enough running. I'm not a good runner, and I've found I need much much (much) more consistency in running to run reasonably well (that is, I need to run six days a week for many weeks in a row to really feel good). But running is so personal, I'm sure others with a strong run background would perform very well.

I’m the same. I will do the brick run when they have it in the plan, but will adjust the intensity based on what I think I need to get done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.
Ive been following the 3day/week short course cycling plans to a T xcept for the beginner drills in the base plans.
I use barry p's run program incorperating the short runs into brics following cycling . Im a meh swimmer and have been using guppy challenge as my program. Here is my schedule below.

Mon am swim / pm bike-short run
Tues am med run / pm gym
Wed am swim / pm bike -short run
Thurs am med run / pm gym
Fri am swim / pm bike - short run
Sat pm long run
Sun off
Im a sprint guy so short runs are 26min moderate / med 43 min easy / long 1hr easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used them for Placid this year. Not bad, but I would have liked to have seen some more speed work/structure in the running portion. Complete opposite of Friel’s plans. The bike plan was solid.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, and I wish they would give an option to remove all the non-bike workouts. Triathlon training is so individually specific that their swim/run workouts simply don't fit my schedule and how I want to train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using TR for like 5 years and just now did my first Tri plan of theirs. I did like most people here are saying and deleted the swim and run from the calendar. I do really like how easy to use the calendar feature is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do every workout per TrainerRoad using the full-distance medium-volume training plan and it got me down to a 3:13 marathon in Madison (10 minute PR) so I plan to keep using it.
Quote Reply