Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Harriman Chain Ring Massacre
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to know why readers of this board would, or would not, compete in a duathlon here in the US which would replicate the length (10K/150K/30K) and severity (punishing ascents and descents on both bike and run) of Powerman Zofingen. Thank you for any rational response.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Last edited by: tetsuoni: May 19, 05 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme Duathlon [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me personally, if the runs were on trails or other soft surface and the course was in a very scenic locale I would consider it. 40K of pounding the pavement is just out of the question for me.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty tired of the boring old standard Du format, and would love to try something like this.

Of course, I'm pretty limited for travel right now (with two small kids at home), so hopefully it would be within a day's travel from me. :-)

In fact, I wish I could have participated in some of the Powerman events this year that you've been destroying......congrats!!

It is kinda' strange that these events do not get more of a turn-out considering the formidable challenge they pose.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love too. Never did Zofingen because I hate the cold. But a Zofingen like race in a warm place, with a hard ride and hilly runs would be awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely consider a duathlon of that distance if it was within a day's drive of Atlanta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why compete at that race? Hmm well on paper it would be more demanding than an IM. In reality it would probably be much more demanding than the avg IMNA event, just as duathlons are more physically demanding than an equal duration triathlon. It's a distance that can be raced versus just doing an event.

As for the reasons not, it would be harder than a triathlon of equal or slightly longer duration meaning more recovery time is needed.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Extreme Duathlon [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for some excellent responses. Perhaps there's hope for an October US based ultra duathlon.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on PM OH John. I bonked so bad on the second lap of the bike that I lost about 15:00 on my projected finish time! I was crawling.

Anyway, Id love to do a "Zofingenesque" type of Du here in the US. I am hoping to go and actually do Zofingen next year as a kind of 40 birthday present to myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be there with bells on. My three year program includes Zofingen...TWICE. I love duathlon and wish there were even MORE long distance events here in the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done a du, but I would love to try one of that distance if it was close enough to home.

under-trained and over-tapered. . . .yet still hopeful . . . does that make me an optimist or a masochist?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

As an aside, what do you know about the short and long course duathlon nationals courses? Hills? Flat? How would the compare to, say PM NC course in that regard? Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd consider doing a long course duathlon if it was held in SoCal. These distances are a bit much, though. How about 15-20K/120K/10K instead?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would absolutely consider it. Having been in Denmark in '04, I know that 20k/120k/10k is hard, but doable. The challenge of extending myself to a Zofingen-like distance would be enough, but give it hard profile as well and I think I know what the primary objective of my season would be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, i'd be interested. i love duathlons (hate to swim) as they're usually great training for triathlons. this one sounds like it would be less like training and more like an A race. sounds good.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme Duathlon [Duman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Duman. Ohio sure was tough, but I think the US can do with something far harder. Be well.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme Duathlon [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBriGuy,

I don't know the course at Mason, but it's profile is posted at USAT.

As far as LC Nats. at the Buckeye challenge, both runs have a tough hill midway, and the gravel path can be paiful. Don't wear shoes that can pcik up and hold a stone like I did. The bike is very tough, with lots of climbing and corners. Do yourself a favor and pre-ride it. I'd put it on par with PM NC. It's an excellent race.

Good luck!

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John, you know I will there too. I hear the hills of Harriman calling.
Quote Reply
Re: Extreme Duathlon [wvarta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetsuoni-

Wondering if Lake Placid in Oct would work? Community receptive to events of this type, the hills are there, etc. No need to replicate the IM course, but on the other hand, not alot of need to re-invent the wheel either.

Also, there was a guy in Du.com that was working on something like this out in CA. Anything else heard on that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw your comments on duathlon.com as well. To be honest a Fall PM du or duathlon of that ilk would be attractive to me. The problems with the PM schedule this year was that they did take place early in the year and were relatively close date wise.

A fall PM type DU would be a great way to end the year. I think a date around or on IMH is a good idea. As someone mentioned earlier not everyone does IMH and in actuality you will see several IM distance Tri's scheduled in September and October currently as season enders for many tri-folk. Why not a PM Duatlon as well?

Thanks for soliciting input.

fal7 in Houston
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, John.

Also...after a bit more thinking on the Zofingen-distance race idea...my only concern would be that it support, rather than draw off potential Zofingen participants...I talked to the Zofingen director at PM NC and he seemed REALLY keen to bring up the number of U.S. participants at Zofingen over the next few years. Obviously many of us would be REALLY attracted to a Zofingen distance race on this side of the pond just for the savings in travel (I save tons of $$ with my Honda hotel-on-wheels Element). If we had a Zofingen-like race here it might be to the exclusion of many U.S. athletes' participation in Zofingen...a race I equate to Hawaii IM in the duathlon world (as much as I hate to make that comparison...it is true).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zofingen has decided to take the 3rd weekend in August to fall in between the European Ironman races (late June - early July) and Kona (Mid-October). I like the idea of an "American Zofingen" the same weekend as Kona. This should not draw off US Zofingen competitors, but would provide an awesome goal for those that can't, or care not to, go to Kona. Wayne is astute in referencing Harriman. After Labor Day, it's an easy venue to hold a day long race. And, it's an awesome venue. I've got other courses in mind, such as Devil's Kitchen or Mohonk Mountain, but for this year, if we can pull it together, Harriman would work out real well. Thanks again to everyone for their positive comments.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another question is whether those of you who would want an October "American Zofingen" would care whether it is an offical Powerman event or not. Like Ironman vs. "iron distance" there are 2 ways to go, and Powerman's license could prove expensive, which unfortunately gets passed along in entry fees. Many are of the opinion that if we create this race, only 30 or so racers will show up. That's fine, as those are just the 30 hard core types I'd want to race. But, if a license is $10,000 for example, that's $333.33 per each of the 30 racers just to break even. So, if it's not an offical "Powerman", but merely "zofingen distance", do you stay home or race? Thank you.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since a few years a real die hard Zofingen fan, organizes here a similar (but harder) race like Zofingen.

Check this :

http://www.winterduathlonkasterlee.be (click on the english flag)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fuck a duck and try to fly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely be interested in a race like this. The Powerman name would not be a requirement. Better to keep the cost down. Where is Harriman?
Quote Reply

Prev Next