Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hard to fit on a tri bike - Cervelo? Felt? Kuota ? Help!
Quote | Reply
If anyone has advice I'm all ears. Getting geared up early for third season now and ready to buy my first tri bike. Looking along the Cervelo P2C Ultegra range, maybe a tad more. I'm 6'1 with a 35.5" inseam, and getting a proper fit is proving problematic. I've tried several sizes of the P2C, as well as the Trek Equinox with no success (either too crunched or too stretched out). Are there any comparable bikes that might fit someone of say slightly less than average torso length, with longer than average arms and legs? I really am only familiar with the more mainstream brands like Trek, Cervelo, and Felt. What about Kuota, Orbea, Blue, etc? I would appreciate any help someone might offer.

Life IS an endurance sport. Finish Well
www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Re: Hard to fit on a tri bike - Cervelo? Felt? Kuota ? Help! [plainsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you actually had a bike fit? or just been given bikes to test ride? It sounds like the latter. If this is the case you may want to look at have a fit done on a fitting bike and then look at dans articles about working back from your desired position to divine the correct frame (or the shop should be able to). The range of positions that people adopt varies more than their proportions do, so while it is possible to characterise bikes as being more suited to one end of the spectrum of physical proportions it is not necessarily going to help in your specific case. As an example - I have similar proportions to you (though a bit taller) and you can see my bike setup in my profile - slammed down (and would be on a p3c also) - so a bike characterised as suiting a long legged person like a Kuota K-Factor or Scott Plasma is not appropriate.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard to fit on a tri bike - Cervelo? Felt? Kuota ? Help! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have actually been fit on the bikes, to greater and lesser degrees. I have a coach friend who fit me on my current road/tri setup, and it works well. I was fit in the shop on a 56, a relatively detailed process, and then checked out the 58 with more of a field fit for comparision. I had quick fits in another shop for both Treks, but when you can't even get saddle seat to go high enough to get your leg in the right angle you know you are out of luck. In the other case the saddle was as far forward as it would go with the shortest stem I could use and still I was super stretched out. What I have never done however is been fit on a fitting bike. To be honest, it never occured to me to do that and then work backwards. I guess I need to find someone with a fitting bike and then work backwards. I don't know where to find one, but it's worth a look. Thanks for the advice. All I need now is a fit to confirm I "need" a custom built Guru Crono ;). I'll also be sure to check out article you referenced. I consider myself relatively new to these forums even though I've been registered for awhile. Do you perhaps have a link to that article? Thanks again!

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Re: Hard to fit on a tri bike - Cervelo? Felt? Kuota ? Help! [plainsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a search and you'll find plenty of information here on bike fitting. It is indeed better to start "backwards." That is, get a fitting done before shopping for a bike. You can look for FIST-certified shops, and/or any shop that has a Serotta fit bike and a trained fitter. (The Serotta site might have a listing.) If you tell us where you live, someone here might be able to suggest a good shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard to fit on a tri bike - Cervelo? Felt? Kuota ? Help! [Large] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I live in Greenville, South Carolina. We do have some top notch bike shops in town, and the coach/fitter I work with is the best I've experienced so far (I have no doubt he will give me the perfect fit on whatever bike I eventually buy), but no one in town has a fit bike so I'm limited to getting fit on available bikes right now. If anyone knows of a fit bike nearby I would love to know. Atlanta, Ga is not out of the question if someone knows of a place with a bike and a qualified fitter.

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is an idea. Since you have a bike that seems to fit you well, why not measure the stack and reach, then check the FIST tables for bikes that are similar.

If you need help using the tables, PM me and I can assist.

p.

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Hard to fit on a tri bike - Cervelo? Felt? Kuota ? Help! [paul@hellovelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again. I guess I could try that as a starting point. I know my current bike is not the "ideal" tri setup (it is my converted roadie with clip-ons). It may be as good a starting point as any though. I've done a HIM distance on it with no discomfort,though I suspect I could be lower and more aero if the bike would accomodate me.

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought I had read that Quintana Roo tends to be favoured by those with long legs and short torsos. The stack and reach tables are a good suggestion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.elitebiycles.com

It'll be the best bike you'll ever own.
Quote Reply
Re: Hard to fit on a tri bike - Cervelo? Felt? Kuota ? Help! [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had never heard of Elite, but just checked out the site, thanks. Do you ride one? $5k is too steep for me though. In that range, would you choose Elite over Guru? Just a hypothetical. I'm still wrestling with the Cervelos - might be closer to getting a 56 dialed in, we'll see.

www.fwe1.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"....would you choose Elite over Guru?"

I can't speak for Guru because I've never ridden one. Some have chimed in on the forum talking negatively about their frame aerodynamics and paint quality. They look great to me and I would ride one in a second!

I recently purchased an Elite and it has been the best bike I've ever ridden. The bike is great, but Elite's commitment to service is second to none. Again, I'm not sure about Guru, but I can call or email the owner of Elite with questions if I need it and he always responds within a day or two. Also, they come out to certain races nationally and give free tune ups to everyone who owns an Elite. They treat you like family and will do everything to not have you on an ill fitting bike. In fact, they can do a fitting on any bikes you currently have so you don't have to buy another oe if you don't need it. They also have stock frames that they will try to fit you on before they suggest getting a custom frame. Also, you can buy a frame and they'll transfer any components that you have on your current bike for free. Good luck with your decision!
Quote Reply