Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hand going numb during ride
Quote | Reply
Recently, on rides over an hour in length my left hand starts going numb. If I sit up strait for a minute it starts to get better. Other than that it goes numb on the hoods or drops. I have tried w/o gloves and w/ different gloves, with no changes. Is this a position problem (I haven't changed anything)? Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Hand going numb during ride [cpgod] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a position problem that used to happen to me. I solved it by extending my position a bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try switching positions as much as possible. Ride the flats, the hoods, the drops, stand up, sit down, wiggle your fingers on long, flat straight aways, do the hokey pokey (well, not that) but you get the picture. The worst thing you can do on a long ride is zone out to such a degree that the dreaded rigor mortis of the hands takes over. Watch the pros, they switch hand positions a lot. Hope this works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a common fit problem. Usually a combination of too much weigh on the hands and poor core strength. With either or both of these mentioned problems you are essentially compressing nerves that cross your wrist and supply the hand. Although most often this is relieved by changing positions, you need someone to address your fit. Also working on core strength will help to un-weight your hands, while also making you more powerful and biomechanically efficient.

Good luck

Dave Berkoff MD (doc and bike fitter)
Quote Reply
Re: Hand going numb during ride [Dr Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar problem on my right hand and shoulder, but not my left, and only on my raod bikes. As regards the fit and having too much weight on the hands, is the solution to slide seat back and raise the bars or move seat a bit further forward? Thanks in advance.

Re: Hand going numb during ride [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hand numbness is usually a result of front end misalignment. When you start moving your seat forward and back to compensate for your front end difficulties you are potentially moving out of a proper "place " in the rear and now instead of fixing the problem you are compounding it.

Seat fore and aft adjustments should be made based on where you need to be relative to the bottom bracket, this is how you get into a biomechanically neutral position while optimizing your efficiency and power relative to the cranks/BB. Weight distribution, although can be changed some by moving your seat fore/aft should be addressed by adjusting your front end. Often up and in. Most serious riders will fight this as it is not "aero" or not how "Hamilton" or who ever they idolize rides. Keep in mind, front end position varies person to person, is a product of your anatomic blueprint, your flexibility, your riding style, and your core strength. It can change over time in either direction. I propose that a slightly less low and forward position that alleviates your strain and pain will only make you faster.

Good Luck

Dr Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]

I get bad numbness in my right hand when I ride over about an hour on rough NZ roads.
I've had it tested and I have carpel (sp?) tunnel syndrome in that hand. It comes from an errant sledgehammer blow to my wrist (ouch!) when holding a stake a friend was driving into hard ground, years ago.
Only shows up when riding.

Certainly changing hand positions helps but if you do anything that may be leading to RSI (or whatever they call it now) in your dailiy life (typing!), then riding on the bike may be the thing that sends you over the edge into numbness on the bike. I've also found that TRIPLE layers of bar tape just back from the hoods helps too. Makes a nice thick lump to grab on to when climbing and provides more shock absorption. Try it.

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem with long rides. Switching between different positions does help a bit, but it does not solve the problem altogether. What solved it for me was to mount a set of aero-bars on to my road bars. Now, when I am on a long straight, I can take the pressure of my hands completely. After only 5 minutes on the aero bars, I can ride another 60 minutes on the drops/hoods (or more) without problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Hand going numb during ride [Dr Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks will try the up and in.