Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hamstring issues, Crank length a solution?
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I tore the attachment of my biceps femoris in my hamstring off and had to have it surgically repaired (bolted back on the the bottom of my IT). Everything seemed fine for a year, then progressively went downhill. Recently Ive been having hamstring tightness and soreness as well as a weird nerve tingling sensation during and after biking. It doesnt hurt during or after running. I just took a nice 6 week break hoping it would heal. I returned first to swimming, then running, and just added biking today. The swimming and running never presented a problem. The first biking session today brought back that all too familiar feeling.

I think I need to alter my bike set up in some way Im just not sure how to go about it. Im currently running 170mm cranks. Im about 5'7". I used to have my seat higher, but my power output went way down so I lowered it back down.

Ive read a few places that shorter cranks can be a possible solution to hamstring tightness. Also that it may be coupled with a lowering of the seat to reduce the lengthening? I cant really move my seat forward or down anymore due to my knees hitting the armrests.

Also, Ive heard some wives tales of Q-Rings or Osymetric rings being a fix. Any truth to that? Would it be worth considering?

Could moving my cleats help?

I FEEL (as subjective and biased as that is) that Im having issues that my shin is getting "in front of" my knee almost like I was overstriding in running and that sensation of pushing down and back through the pedal stroke may be where Im having issues.

Any thoughts??? (constructive or otherwise...)
Last edited by: Zoom_zoom_Ben: Jan 2, 13 20:04
Quote Reply
Re: Hamstring issues, Crank length a solution? [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go see a good fitter, ideally one who's also a PT and understands the surgical process you went through. I know of several local fitters who are also PTs so I expect they're not that hard to find in most urban areas. You might ask around at local shops or perhaps place some calls to sports rehab clinics to see if you can find that blend of skills.

Hard to say what changes they'll recommend, but raising your front end a bit to open your hip angle seems likely as well as possible lowering of the saddle but these changes should be made as part of an overall system taking your hamstring issue into account and not random changes made in isolation.

Good luck,
-Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been dealing with a medium grade proximal hamstring tendon tear myself for more than a year and without a doubt cycling in the aero position has been the most difficult sport to regain capacity in.

I was already on short cranks and q-rings, so can't offer any insight there. One thing I've found that does help is to "round" my back instead of riding with a flat back--it lessens the pull on the hammy.

Riding upright is better, and the only way I can tolerate anything longer than a half hour on the bike is to alternate between aero and upright. I've started to wonder about moving to a road bike.

Good luck--the complete detachment sucks. You're fortunate to still be able to do two and a half sports--that can be a career ending injury.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently kicked my hamstring problem when I discovered my seat was to low and straining my hammy when coming over the top of the pedal stroke. Raising my seat relieved me of that and the hammy healed. Finally...after 18 months of dealing with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes go to Chris Balser www.bicyclefitguru.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the tri position puts a load on the hamstrings that road does not. I found that going to shorter cranks(and 170's are not short for a guy 5'7") helped with the stress there. I went to 165's(5'10") and probably will get 160's the next time around. I'm sure some of my hammy stress was from using 175's for all those years, and it makes sense to me that going shorter would relieve some of that stress, and it has.. There you go, my N=1 experiment, good luck, being injured sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You obviously need to go get professionally fit, but these things may help in the short term:

1) Moving cleats forward will take some load off your hamstrings and put it on your quads.
2) Shorter cranks and/or higher seat position will reduce flexion in your knee.
a) The force vectors opposite your power stroke will be straighter through your knee and into your hip rather than being supported by muscle.
b) You will also be able to carry a higher cadence at less resistance

Either way, good luck Ben and go see a pro fitter ASAP.
Quote Reply