Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hammer linear leg press and bike specific strength
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitchers,

My racing season is over and I am now focusing on a strength program. My bike continues to be the weakest of the disciplines and I am looking to improve my overall bike strength.

In regards to the Hammer Strength linear leg press, there are two settings for the seat. The more "reclined" setting seems to work the upper quads while the "forward" setting seems to work the lower quads.

For those who incorporate sport specific strength training: Which setting would give my bike the best strength boost? (or is the correct answer to alternate between the two settings and develop the entire quad?)

It seems I feel fatigue the most in my lower quad on my longest, hardest rides.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer linear leg press and bike specific strength [Trip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've probably not come to the right forum to get this question answered. The received wisdom here will be that you should put it on the "stopdoingweightsandgetonthebike" setting.
Quote Reply
Re: Hammer linear leg press and bike specific strength [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well id like to say find a local fitness professional to get some workout tips or couple sessions to get a strength training plan together. But just like anywhere they will not be endurance athletes. Get on the bike more for sure. but the best thing for my strength is single leg workouts to gain balance between the two. Weighted high stepups. Side to side lunges and single leg free standing squats! machines or too restricted of a motion to get what you probably need for strength and increase power for the bike. Goodluck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about some single leg drills while on your trainer?
Start out with something quick- either 100 rotations, or a minute each leg... messing around in various gears and cadences. a minute one leg, a minute both, a minute other leg, a minute both, repeat.
You want to get both legs stronger, but individually.

Only thing I have to say about that is make sure theres nothing around you. I once kicked a pump after unclipping at the end of a one leg workout... right into my rotating rear wheel. dented 2 spokes.

As far as leg press- I'd do the same- sets with one leg, other leg, increase the weight, then both legs. I like to start with 2 plates each side, then x10 each leg, then x15 both legs, add a plate, x10 each leg, x15 both legs, add a plate to each side etc. but i barely lift anymore.

In Reply To:
Slowtwitchers,

My racing season is over and I am now focusing on a strength program. My bike continues to be the weakest of the disciplines and I am looking to improve my overall bike strength.

In regards to the Hammer Strength linear leg press, there are two settings for the seat. The more "reclined" setting seems to work the upper quads while the "forward" setting seems to work the lower quads.

For those who incorporate sport specific strength training: Which setting would give my bike the best strength boost? (or is the correct answer to alternate between the two settings and develop the entire quad?)

It seems I feel fatigue the most in my lower quad on my longest, hardest rides.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
honestly all evidence suggests that no kind of weightlifting will give you a boost in how fast you can ride a time trial.

completely different energy systems are used and muscle mass for most people is not what is limiting their performance.

I believe Coggan even did some studies on weightlifting and bike sprinting performance and found it ineffective.

Anyway, as of yet there is no evidence based reason to believe that weight lifting will make a well trained cyclist faster.

strength isn't the problem, its endurance.

Here is a link to one study:
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/...csa/vol73/bishop.htm

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Sep 1, 10 5:32
Quote Reply