Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
The short of it is that benefits may be debatable. But they won’t slow you down. And they may help. Likely they marginally help in some situations, marginally hurt in others, nothing in others still. How is that for an answer? I have not wind tunnel tested them. All i have are questionable armchair aerodynamics (Like everyone else). But the dt swiss guy felt they would not help. Fwiw. He seems legit, but is zipp competition.

To oversimplify, but josh (ex zipp) once said that aerodynamic shapes are better being smooth, and non-aerodynamic shapes are better to have a texture. Or something to that effect. He might have addressed the question on the marginal gains podcast. Ask him privately and he may answer. He is good that way.

At the end of the day, i think you will find that elevated prices do not guarantee better performance. Aerodynamically. There are lots of cheaper copies that are decent, if largely untested. And as time passes, i note those eastern copies are increasing in price, and quality. Just as oem are dropping prices and outsourcing out east to compete. How the unbranded eastern stuff holds up to big hits, hot brake temps, etc are the issue. So there is always a risk... and i guess looking at warrantees is key. I suspect there are many copycat wheels out there that likely have minimal testing beyond visual flaws. Yikes. who knows?

But you can expect that quality control will be good with zipp. Same for things like brake track quality/performance/durability. And zipp wheels hold their value. So at resale, you will get back more of your original investment. Some would argue hubs are questionable at times. I can not comment. Many cheaper oem hubs are rebranded cheap stuff put there to hit a price point.

When it comes to wheels, i have a “tires first approach”, as optimal tire size/compound/durability/pressures will be big for performance. I chose a tire, width and pressure that meets my needs, and then i select rims to back it up (width, depth, weight, spokes, hubs). Get as deep a wheel as you can handle. Keep valve stems short, and spokes cxray. And i like my carbon ti hubs for lightness, stiffness, and quality bearings. The downside is that the wide spoke Bracing angles generate a laterally stiff wheel, but expose more spoke to the clean air. So they are not my tri/tt choice, but are good all rounders for road bikes.

There is more to be gained lost with optimal tire compound, size, pressures than with dimples. So get that big stuff right first.

Very helpful. So if you dont care if zipp wheels are a bit more expensive than all I’d good?
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [hambini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hambini wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Also:

No pictures of his test rig
No pictures of any testing
No original of the "Flo Letter"

But hey, seems to do a good version of the BBinfinite BB though.

Sorry, I would rather keep my job than post that to satisfy you.

OK, fair enough, but if you've been running tons of hours of testing on your company's wind tunnel off the books, even without those pictures haven't you already given yourself plenty of exposure to getting fired simply by publicly identifying yourself, letting drop the name of your employer, and posting the results of your testing?
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But his sister’s cousin’s ex roommate (who may not even exist) posted a glowing review of his work on a random bike forum....what more results do you really need?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
hambini wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Also:

OK, fair enough, but if you've been running tons of hours of testing on your company's wind tunnel off the books, even without those pictures haven't you already given yourself plenty of exposure to getting fired simply by publicly identifying yourself, letting drop the name of your employer, and posting the results of your testing?

There is nothing off the books at all.

The use of bike wheels is now part of graduate training focused on unsteadiness. It was originally to find one colleagues wheels for a triathlon.

You will only find few library photos of any wind tunnels used by the large aeroplane companies. And all sites are photo free. Try doing a search for "Wind Tunnel Hamburg" - the only ones you will find are Hamburg University.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Last edited by: hambini: Nov 19, 19 4:28
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those disagreeing with Hambini, it would be great to see their data, credentials, reports or relevant science of some sort to support the claims. Otherwise just call him fake or clown doesn’t make you guys sound smarter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Sachin, it's nice to see you conversing politely here.

I do have a question about your initial premise about unsteadiness. It would be interesting if possible to see how your results compare to those achieved by steady state wind tunnel tests - this being your claimed point of significant difference. Would it be feasible to tease this out of portions of your test protocol, e.g. the sections where you are doing steady yaw rate ramps?
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
For those disagreeing with Hambini, it would be great to see their data, credentials, reports or relevant science of some sort to support the claims. Otherwise just call him fake or clown doesn’t make you guys sound smarter.

You'll want to check out this thread, that's where all the action took place, this is just a follow-on to that thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a shame i am mostly retired from my management consulting days, cos I would love to use the "Cuntish Shitbag" scale on my presentations.

Getting back to the question at hand - ok, I can sorta see how the dimples may not help when the yaw is 0. But what about other yaw angles? It seems to me that in that case, he wind "sees" the dimple further up front - which would make it like the scenario that Hambini mentions as being the preferable case.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Well one fan, and a whole lot of people pointing our serious issues with your video, which you of course didn't address. But, thanks for playing.

I'm curious...who is the fan? I was just sharing some comic relief.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hambini wrote:
tttiltheend wrote:
hambini wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:

Also:

There is nothing off the books at all.

The use of bike wheels is now part of graduate training focused on unsteadiness. It was originally to find one colleagues wheels for a triathlon.

You will only find few library photos of any wind tunnels used by the large aeroplane companies. And all sites are photo free. Try doing a search for "Wind Tunnel Hamburg" - the only ones you will find are Hamburg University.

What about your initial data gathering setup and resultant data? That all took place outside of any wind tunnel and was in public, no?

I'm thinking that would be a good place to start, and it doesn't run afoul of any of those other concerns. All of your assumptions and analysis are based on that, so let's see the basis.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pricing/value of zipp wheels i can not comment on. What you want and are willing to pay is personal. I think they are a reasonable investment. Every brand has multiple levels of price points/quality anyway.

To me, it is less about a brand, and more about a wheel design meeting my needs. If you dont know your needs, sticking to a reputable brand is generally safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
hambini wrote:

What about your initial data gathering setup and resultant data? That all took place outside of any wind tunnel and was in public, no?

I'm thinking that would be a good place to start, and it doesn't run afoul of any of those other concerns. All of your assumptions and analysis are based on that, so let's see the basis.

On the last occasion when you asked for something which was a time spent at yaw graph. I spent ages doing it and then you were not happy with the results because they did not add to 1. I pointed out it was a bodge job but you didn't seem to care.

Hence excuse me for taking the opportunity to pass.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
Hey Sachin, it's nice to see you conversing politely here.

I do have a question about your initial premise about unsteadiness. It would be interesting if possible to see how your results compare to those achieved by steady state wind tunnel tests - this being your claimed point of significant difference. Would it be feasible to tease this out of portions of your test protocol, e.g. the sections where you are doing steady yaw rate ramps?

Something like this?

https://www.hambini.com/...statevstransient.png

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [guadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guadzilla wrote:
It's a shame i am mostly retired from my management consulting days, cos I would love to use the "Cuntish Shitbag" scale on my presentations.

Getting back to the question at hand - ok, I can sorta see how the dimples may not help when the yaw is 0. But what about other yaw angles? It seems to me that in that case, he wind "sees" the dimple further up front - which would make it like the scenario that Hambini mentions as being the preferable case.

The dimples really need to be on the ram pressure side, people think of it in terms of length but for stability it needs to be considered in pressure terms.

In the case of the zipp wheels, the dimples are predominantly on the lower pressure side (front of the aerofoil) and on their shallower wheels they have an unfavourable alpha critical (i have heard this called gamma in North America) for a large fraction of the wheel circumference.

In an ideal world, you want the turbulence to generate near the front and stay attached as it goes back. On the zipp wheel the turbulent dimples are in the wrong place.

If the trailing rim of the front wheel is considered (the bit behind the forks), the air has been through a spoke egg whisk and it would not stick in a month of Sundays.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hambini wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
hambini wrote:

On the last occasion when you asked for something which was a time spent at yaw graph. I spent ages doing it and then you were not happy with the results because they did not add to 1. I pointed out it was a bodge job but you didn't seem to care.

Wait...you present a "bodge job" and then wonder why people don't like it? Ummm...OK :-/

No matter. Your ENTIRE premise on this subject is based on the supposed field data you took. And yet, zero evidence exists that any of that "data" was actually gathered.

I guess you'll understand why I'll "take the opportunity to pass" on your conclusions then.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
hambini wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
hambini wrote:

Wait...you present a "bodge job" and then wonder why people don't like it? Ummm...OK :-/

No matter. Your ENTIRE premise on this subject is based on the supposed field data you took. And yet, zero evidence exists that any of that "data" was actually gathered.

I guess you'll understand why I'll "take the opportunity to pass" on your conclusions then.

You are taking my words and manipulating them

I said that trying to convert a transient analysis to steady state is not a valid thing to do. But I did it anyway to try and appease you and be helpful but you were not happy with the result.

Hence You cannot expect me to jump at every request.

Also you called me a racist term. Do you expect me to jump through hoops for you. It's not going to happen.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
hambini wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
hambini wrote:

You are taking my words and manipulating them

I said that trying to convert a transient analysis to steady state is not a valid thing to do. But I did it anyway to try and appease you and be helpful but you were not happy with the result.

Hence You cannot expect me to jump at every request.

Also you called me a racist term. Do you expect me to jump through hoops for you. It's not going to happen.

Sigh...Why are you bringing up the analysis? I'm saying show us evidence of the data gathering. It's that simple really. You seem to be deflecting. Again.

Not asking for any hoops to be jumped, just to show basics. You say testing doesn't reflect reality. OK...show the evidence of what you consider "reality", not just theorizing and hand-waving.

As far as any apparently "racist term" goes...I know you understand the real story on that (since it was clearly explained to you), but of course that doesn't fit your narrative of being unfairly punished, so naturally that isn't accepted. Whatever...

Last edited by: Tom A.: Nov 19, 19 16:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, Hambini! I came across your youtube channel just a couple of months ago and really enjoy it. I have a question that's nearly-related to the topic at hand and you are the perfect guy to answer it if you are willing.

I had a 2011 or so BMC TM02 with the "tripwire" lines along the front of the forks, downtube, seat tube, and seatstays. It seemed to me to be actually a logical design to reduce drag. Have you seen the BMCs with the tripwires and what do you think about their effectiveness? Apologies if you've covered it somewhere else and I missed it.

(To be clear, I noticed the tripwires after receiving the frame from a sponsor. I didn't buy it for that and would be a bit skeptical without checking with an expert like yourself first)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Nov 19, 19 16:40
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trip wires on the BMC frames generally don't work.

I've got a BMC bike TM01, the airflow going to the surfaces is in a sufficiently agitated state that you would be hard pushed to get it to go from laminar to turbulent.

However, from a structural point of view, the wider trip bit of the profile is good for lateral strength.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote Tom A.

Sigh...Why are you bringing up the analysis? I'm saying show us evidence of the data gathering. It's that simple really. You seem to be deflecting. Again.

Not asking for any hoops to be jumped, just to show basics. You say testing doesn't reflect reality. OK...show the evidence of what you consider "reality", not just theorizing and hand-waving.

As far as any apparently "racist term" goes...I know you understand the real story on that (since it was clearly explained to you), but of course that doesn't fit your narrative of being unfairly punished, so naturally that isn't accepted. Whatever...[/quote]
You cannot expect people to go out of their way to try and assist you when you turn around and take their work (which was done at your request) and disparage it. I told you it was an error and you persisted. Is this standard practice in America? it's like the stereotypical version of twat.

As for the racist term. In my experience, I have found people either say sorry or go around and manipulate their words to try and justify it. You appear to be the latter.

HELLO HAMBINI FANS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hambini wrote:

You cannot expect people to go out of their way to try and assist you when you turn around and take their work (which was done at your request) and disparage it. I told you it was an error and you persisted. Is this standard practice in America? it's like the stereotypical version of twat.

Asking for evidence of the initial data gathering was the FIRST thing that was asked of you, and what you STILL haven't produced. It's not my fault that you decided to do something that was asked for later, and then made a bodge of it.

I also see you're continuing your propensity for name calling...

hambini wrote:
As for the racist term. In my experience, I have found people either say sorry or go around and manipulate their words to try and justify it. You appear to be the latter.

Ummm...did I NOT apologize? https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...p;start=930#p1439454

"That said, being unaware of the particular history of that term for Brits (being a "colonial" and all) I apologize if it caused offense to you and won't use it any longer."

and: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/...p;start=930#p1439473

"I was ignorant of that possibility and am now better educated. My apologies for any misunderstandings."

Well, whatever...and despite the fact that I and others can't really find any backup to your claim on this being a derogatory British slang...it's all par for the course though, I guess...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Well, whatever...and despite the fact that I and others can't really find any backup to your claim on this being a derogatory British slang...it's all par for the course though, I guess...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I just look at the video.

Until 23mn, it is true.

After : no more figures, no more calculations, no evidence.

Why is Mavic efficient ? Because the "thing" fill the gap ? But not filling could help the boundary layer become turbulent, so what is best ? We don't know in fact, there is no evidence shown in video.

The lightweight ? Same, no evidence.

The dimple would be better at the tyre level. Yes. That is why Continental put these little "palms".

But does the dimple at rims side are useful or not ?

At yaw = 0 : possibly, probably depending on the tyre. How much ? No info on the video.

At yaw >0 : possibly, at lower angle, if boundary level stay there a bit. Any figure, any evidence in the video ? Any idea of the angle where it is no more useful ? No.

Any information on the activation speed, through Reynold calculation ? Not seen any.

So, after 23mn, bullshit area, essentially.
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
I just look at the video.

Until 23mn, it is true.

After : no more figures, no more calculations, no evidence.

Why is Mavic efficient ? Because the "thing" fill the gap ? But not filling could help the boundary layer become turbulent, so what is best ? We don't know in fact, there is no evidence shown in video.

The lightweight ? Same, no evidence.

The dimple would be better at the tyre level. Yes. That is why Continental put these little "palms".

But does the dimple at rims side are useful or not ?

At yaw = 0 : possibly, probably depending on the tyre. How much ? No info on the video.

At yaw >0 : possibly, at lower angle, if boundary level stay there a bit. Any figure, any evidence in the video ? Any idea of the angle where it is no more useful ? No.

Any information on the activation speed, through Reynold calculation ? Not seen any.

So, after 23mn, bullshit area, essentially.

It is called armchair aerodynamics. Take it with a grain of salt. He is giving an opinion based on his understanding of a subject. He is just assertive and blunt with his opinion which is to be taken with more grains of salt. He may be right or wrong. Besides, The possible benefits of dimples should be only one of many criterion to evaluate a good wheel.

People tend towards confirmation bias at the end of the day in deciding what they wish to believe. We are taking marginal gains overall, so a riders belief is likely the most significant factor in performance gain here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it goes without saying that literally nobody else considers Hambone a racist term. I have no beef with Hambini, don't know anything about the dude or his science, but I cannot stand people throwing terms like Racist, Homophobic, Sexist, Transphobic etc in this day and age. Unless somebody is genuinely saying something with intent then we shouldn't ever label people with any of the above.

Absolute fecking bullshit.

And I'm English if that matters.
Quote Reply

Prev Next