Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half marathon nutrition
Quote | Reply
I'm training for my first half marathon and am wondering about nutrition. The aid stations have water only. I plan to carry my bottle (600mL - usually lasts me 1 hour) and also have gels (Leppin - 100cal)and drink every 15 minutes, gel every 30 What I was wondering was if I should be having water or sports drink (replace - 29 cal per 100mL). I want to train with what I should use on the day. Time wise I'm aiming for 1hr 45 min. I'm a 65kg woman.
Quote Reply
Re: Half marathon nutrition [kirstendent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are using a gel, you really do not need a carb drink. Generally you will find Gatorade on the courses for your electrolytes. To eleviate the confusion of gels/water/gatorade, try e-gel. You need only water and this gel as it provides all of your sodium and potasium.

Ask Tom!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a stand alone half only serving water, I usually put 2-3 scoops of carbo pro in my bottle I carry mixed with Gatorade. I only seem to be able to get in 150/cal per hour when I am running vs 400-500 per hour on the bike. I am in the 1:37-1:42 range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest getting a Fuel Belt which will be better than carrying that bottle. As for fuel, you will definitley need to take on nutrients for that length of run. When racing more than 90 minutes you should use a combination of complex carbs (malodextrin) and protien. There are many products out there that will be good for this. I am partial to Hammer Gel products but it is very personal on what your body and tastes prefer.

With gels and sports drinks keep in mind that many of them are High Glycemic carb sources and while good for a boost of energy are not great for sustained energy source. I use Hammer Gel which is malodextrin based and provides a more stable fuel source. You may want to start here for some more information

Hammer Nutrition - Caloric Intake During Events Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Half marathon nutrition [Ready2run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
400-500 per hour on the bike.
I am curious, I have read that your body can only utilize / replace 250 to 280 calories an hour, no matter how many you burn? Which means you may be taking in too much during the bike. Do you know of anything that shows something different? Just trying to stay educated, thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Half marathon nutrition [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can actually train your body to take more calories than that, but it will take a little time. I am working on getting to 350 calories/hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As you can see there a hundred different products to handle this. I have done several with just gatorade but I like Carbo Pro and water and if hot throw in a salt tablet or 2. I personally don't think protein is a requirement for just a half marathon but I am certainly not an authority in this area. During a full IM I eat a peanut butter sandwich to get a little protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I arrived at this amount by trial and error and have found 400 to be minimum amount for me to feel strong on the bike and fresh starting the run in a full IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to do what works for you but I wouldn't carry a bottle. I usually tape two gels to my race number belt. My runner friends laugh at me for even bringing that. They race halves on water only.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Half marathon nutrition [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think people have become too dependent on nutrition. With some of the advice offered here, you're probably gaining weight during the half.

If the course has water every mile or kilometer, I would carry one gel, maybe two tops. You don't need more than that to get through a half in a solid manner.
Quote Reply
Re: Half marathon nutrition [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
course has water every mile or kilometer, I would carry one gel, maybe two tops. You don't need more than that to get through a half in a solid manner
I would agree with that, I find many people overestimate their need and often finish a shorter race with gels etc left unused.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Half mary, not half IM right? You shouldn't need anything but water. Down a gel or a bottle of Gatorade about 15 mins b/f race time and water will get you through just fine.

_________
kangaroo -- please do not read or respond to any of my posts
Quote Reply