Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Half Vineman Registration opened
Quote | Reply
Signed up for the race today. Man, prices keep going up. Anyone else sign up yet?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of it, have you done it before? Won't be able to sign-up for anything till Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [S2H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done it 1.1 times. The first time I crashed a few miles into the bike, broke the collar bone, concussion, and the finish line with the hospital via ambulance.

Last year I finished!!!! Great run race. Weather can be hot or real hot. Looking forward to seeing if I can improve me time. Was also a great place where I met a lot of ST folks.

Cathy, I assume you are doing next year?

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do people stay?
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Where do people stay?

Back in the days of the Olympic Distance Vineman, I would stay at a hostel in Pt. Reyes National Park, for $10/night. Fun and adventurous, but a little farther than I would like nowadays.

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have parked my motor home on the street at the swim start the last 2 years. Lots of parking for overnight free staying.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Santa Rosa too far, or are there accomodations in Guerneville etc. worth considering?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Santa Rosa is a good place to stay. It's not too far to Guerneville for the swim start, and you're close to the finish. The Vineman website has a link to recommended lodging for the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If all goes according to plan I'm doing the full Vineman in 2006, but I'm going to wait and see how the winter training goes. If things fall apart I may fall back and do the half Vineman. That's one of the benefits of a nice quiet race like this- you don't have to make a commitment almost a year in advance. I will be at one of these two races though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of folks do it. Is it like 45 minute drive?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With no traffic (like Sunday AM) you can make it to T2/finish line area in 10-15 minutes from Santa Rosa depending on where you are staying. Probably around 20-25 to Johnson's Beach (T1).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting Dave ... entry includes $10 GTG license ... only went up $5

-High Temps avg low to mid 80's, w/ cool mornings ... we have been blessed the last two years

-I'd advise getting accomodations early and staying north of the Hwy 101/12 interchange - closer to Windsor the better ... there is a new Holiday Inn express in Windsor that is well located. Plenty of reasonable places to stay if you are willing to research a little on your own. Guerneville even has some cool places (www.russianriver.com) Book early, always lots of stuff going on here.

-JK aslo mentioned places on the site to stay ... as mentioned previous, many other places w/ better pricing/location too! .. Fountaingrove Inn is well locate but i don't know anything about the property

My best ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: trifaster: Nov 1, 05 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, I thought you told me that the weather the last two years was the norm? :o)

At least I will not be the last swim wave which will help me in my battle to pass Cathy.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Where do people stay? "

In my own bed - I love local races!

Santa Rosa is probably the most convenient, least expensive option. Stay away from hotels on Santa Rosa Ave. unless you are on a serious budget. Guerneville has a bunch of inns and bed and breakfasts that always fill up. Healdsburg, Windsor, etc. will all have hotel options, but there will probably be fewer of them, and they'll be more expensive then in Santa Rosa proper. there are a bunch of campgrounds all along the russian river area - most of them are geared to a permanent crowd, but they might have spots open for weekend use.

come visit Sonoma County. bring your bike. stay a while.

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dave, I thought you told me that the weather the last two years was the norm? :o)

More often than not ;) ... actually 2003 & 4 were unreal, last year was pretty good but it got hot QUICK after the marine layer burned off!

Glad to have you back!

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm probably in but not 100% certain yet. I'm thinking about combining with FINA Masters Worlds which are at Stanford the following week. Or maybe AlcaTRI - have they set the date for that yet?
Last edited by: gonzobob: Nov 1, 05 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [trifaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave!

Had fun hanging with you at Lake Degray this year....looks like there may be an Arkansas crew coming to do the full Vineman in '06! How soon should we be looking at making lodging reservations? Also, what's the best airport to fly into? See you in '06.

Don Starr
http://www.thesportyrunner.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Signed up for the race today. Man, prices keep going up. Anyone else sign up yet?

Dave
Doubt I will. Didn't think all that much of the swim in that green river that left my stomach feeling gross for most of the bike. I'd think they could re-route it somehow and use the lake or something. River = yuck. Nicely run race otherwise, though.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I had no issues.

Dave, have you heard of folks having issues in the swim. I assume it has to be better than NY?

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave ... Russ can access water quality daily (available because of the resorts/beachs) and we must provide this data for sanctioning purposes. Water quality is actually quite good. Folks do training swima in the river weekly (especially on our Saturday swims) in the summer and have no problems.

Cheers ...

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [TheSportyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don! ... be great to have you guys out hear, you'll love the weather! Earlier the better on accomodations ... when ya'll decide for sure let me know and i'll point you in the right direction!

My best ...

Dave Latourette
Last edited by: trifaster: Nov 1, 05 21:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may have to sign up since my family and I are now RVers and I was hoping to get a spot to the 70.3 championships at Vineman. Thanks for that info.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, hope to see you parked by the swim start. I know there was 2 of us there last year. The only negative is you get to be up real early since you hear all the folks getting the event ready. I think I talked to Dave like at 5 in the morning saying the T1 area was not open yet. :o)

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Half Vineman Registration opened [jeffm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
come visit Sonoma County. bring your bike. stay a while.

My wife and I are planning on coming out for the full vineman/Barb's race in August. And we are planning to do just that - make a vacation out of it. Probably come out the Thursday before race weekend and stay through the following week.

So that said, we are looking for something a little more homey and private than a hotel. Perhaps a condo or cottage. Any ideas on where we can find something within reasonable proximity to the race venue?

Thanks

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Santa Rosa is about as close as you can get, although Dave pointed out a new Holiday Inn located in Windsor which would be pretty close as well. I just booked my room at the Holiday Inn Express on Hopper. Definitely book your room NOW as they sell out fast as it's high tourist season at the time of the race!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next