Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands
Quote | Reply
http://www.velonews.com/...articles/7083.0.html

"LiveStrong" doesn't add up to "run fast," at least for one high school official in Virginia.

More than two dozen high school track athletes were disqualified from an Oct. 6 event in Virginia Beach, Va., after an administrator ruled Lance Armstrong's popular "LiveStrong" wristbands amounted to jewelry, banned under district rules.

Some 26 athletes were wearing the yellow plastic bans and were subsequently disqualified from the track event, according to a report in the The Virginia Pilot newspaper.

"It's the stupidest rule I've ever heard," said Lanny Doan, one of the high school coaches. "We're talking about a rubber band. It's not going to harm anyone."

Some 12 million of the wrist bands have been sold nationwide to raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation. The wrist bands have become a cultural phenomenon, with big-time sports stars and even presidential candidates sporting the plastic bands.

The wrist bands, however, fell afoul with school officials in Virginia who have banned all except religious or medical jewelry from high school track events. The Virginia Pilot reported high officials notified coaches by e-mailed prior to Wednesday's with reminders that the rule would be enforced.

Several athletes won their heats but were later disqualified after wearing the wrist bands. One of the school's girl's squad lost out on the team competition because of the ruling.

"Basically, we lost because of a cancer-support bracelet," Ocean Lakes coach Mike Nestor told the newspaper. "This is a friendly sport. I'd rather be told kids had to take them off before they run than told ‘gotcha' afterward."
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silly rule, but if the coaches were really notified ahead of time it's their fault for not having the athletes take them off...

i believe it. i ran track and xc in high school. we were never allowed to wear jewelry of any kind. no earrings, no necklaces, no bracelets. while i do think it is retarded that they got dq'd it's a common rule that has always been enforced (at least in PA) and it's really not that hard to follow. shame on them for ignoring the rules...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Virginian I’m appalled. Some people just refuse to think no matter what.

Dave from VA

Oops, appalled as in horrified not applauded good job. I guess sometimes I just refuse to think?
Last edited by: DC Pattie: Oct 12, 04 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But religious or medical are ok? Hmmm, maybe they should start a "religion" around livestrong?

Sean

--
http://www.qtfimi.org
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for �LiveStrong' wrist bands [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]As a Virginian I�m applauded. Some people just refuse to think no matter what.Dave from VA[/reply]

Appalled?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for �LiveStrong' wrist bands [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those things aren't exactly invisible. You'd think that these would have been noticed and dealt with right from the start, not after it's over.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason that exact quote has been bouncing around in my head for weeks. Damn you for beating me to the punch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[edit] - I had the wrong quote there... for the life of me I can't remember the other Count-Pointercount comeback...

Last edited by: jhc: Oct 11, 04 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for �LiveStrong' wrist bands [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

impaled ?
empanoplied ?
apploted ?
emboweled ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh. The "no jewelry" rules have been on the National Federation (high school) books since at least the mid 80s, with extremely limited exceptions to that rule- wedding bands, medic alert discs, and religous insignia. You weren't even allowed to wear hard things in your hair- no barettes or hair clips, only soft scrunchies and elastics.

Coach was an idiot for not knowing that- it's clear as day in the track & field and cross country rule book, and sooner or later, a runner will get DQed for that infraction. It's his responsibility to educate his athletes on the rules of competition. And when meet management specifically tells coaches that they're going to strictly enforce those rules and a coach doesn't get his kids to take the bracelets off, coach is a whining dumbass.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahah what a lame fucking rule!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's apalling no matter what their rules are. those bands aren't jewelry. and not being allowed to wear hair clips? it's (sad but) no wonder why some people still believe Saddam had anything to do with 9/11 - people aren't being taught to THINK!!!
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you thinking of the old Saturday Night Live "Jane, you ignorant slut" retort?
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [skater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you thinking of the old Saturday Night Live "Jane, you ignorant slut" retort?

Yeah, but what I really wanted was the Airplane quote where the women commentator basically tell her male counterpart to go to hell.

The red zone is for loading and unloading only

Don't blame me for deciding to get an abortion!

: )

Keith Pape
Riverside, Ca
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [skater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome comback! I LOVE that Dan Akroyd line. One of the best all time combacks as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for reminding me. (you must be old too) about 1979? or so

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The no jewelry rule has been around for a very long time in high school sports. Those items that are allowed, medical or religious, must be taped to the body. Swimmers can even be DQ'd for an elastic hair band if left on the wrist. All high school coaches receive a rule book and prior to events, officials will remind coaches of the most common violations. I feel badly for the kids who got DQ'd, but the coach(es) should be ashamed of themselves for not enforcing the rules prior to the start of the meet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only problem I personally have with this is:

+ 'religious jewelry' gets a special exemption

*And don't let your kids watch professional athletes on television who wear the wristbands in the Olympics, etc.....because your local high school federation knows more about appropriate rules of participation than national governing bodies do.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for �LiveStrong' wrist bands [Thierry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
impotent?
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are sun glasses allowed? I was at my nephews CC meet last week and noticed no sun glasses. I thought maybe there was a rule.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a cross country coach in and it is OK to wear sunglasses during a race. I have one runner who likes to wear Oakley because he thinks he looks cool. I advise against wearing sunglasses because of the constant running in and out of shade and sunlight and it can be hard to spot obstacles on the ground. As far as the Livestrong bracelets go, I have an extra one on my wrist right now because I had to take it from one of my athletes last night at our conference meet. Our referees do warn everyone before the race but will not point out infractions until after a race. The referees have to enforce the rules because odds are another coach has pointed out the infraction. Rules maybe dumb but they have to be followed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The coach should know the rule even if it's a stupid rule. This team lost because its coach did not do his job.

There are plenty of stupid rules. I think that the NCAA used to have officials use sharpies to cover up the "speedo" or "arena" on goggle bands and swim caps at national swimming meets because it violated an NCAA rule against advertising to wear them during the race.

The medical exception exists for an obvious reason. The religious symbols exception probably exists because it might violate a student's first amendment rights to bar him or her from wearing such symbols. Just speculating on this point, however. The first amendment jurisprudence is not particularly coherent.
Quote Reply
Re: HS runners DQ'd for ‘LiveStrong' wrist bands [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a completely ignorant and stupid comparison.
Quote Reply

Prev Next