Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! ***Last Update with Race Report***
Quote | Reply
I need all the help I can get right now... I'm driving with my family to Ironman Cda from Long Beach CA. We stopped in San Francisco for the day and while visiting Pier 39 my Felt DA was stolen out of my minivan. The mother f!@#$E@ smashed out my rear window and stole my bike from under a blanket, my ZiPP wheels, and my 5 year old daughters clothing bag so now she is without clothes. Honestly, the absolute worst part was my 8 year old son's devastated expression as he cried and cried because he is so sad for me that he thinks I wont be able to do the Ironman. All the families out there know how much an Ironman is a family thing. Anyway, sorry for venting but this just happened an hour ago and we are still hurting.

My question is does anyone have any type of advice on how I can get a hold of a rental tri bike in the next couple days. Are there any bike shops in CdA that may be able to help. I guess I shouldn't be picky, I'll take anything down to a BMX bike at this point...there is no way I'm not going to finish this race...my kids deserve to see that we don't let bad people stop us.

Thanks ST for letting me vent and any advice you can offer.

Steve
562-713-0012

If anyone happens across a 2008 Felt DA with TTR2 wheels, brand new 165 mm Ultegra compact cranks, white grip tape, a black Cobb saddle that has "Test Saddle" printed on top, Speedplay Ti pedals, 404 ZIPP clinchers with Tangente tires....I would be happy to get them back. I wont be able to get the serial numbers until we get home.
Last edited by: tsmagnum: Jun 29, 10 16:10
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [tsmagnum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What size frame are you going to need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No help, but sorry to hear the unfortunate news.

I'd say, at the least, file a police report. Then go on from there.

Hope the cops catch that scumbag.

E Curt
Enter my raffle to win an iPad!
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [SpencerDC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was riding a 52 cm Felt.

I filed a report but now am trying to get my car fixed so we can drive it since they blew out my rear window.

Thanks for the quick replies and concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately mine would be way to big or I'd have been happy to loan it to you as I have friends heading over this week. I'll see what I can come up with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve - I have a Cervelo P2C (54cm) that I'd be more than happy to let you use. Its an '06 DA build (11-23 cassette) with Easton training wheels and Keo pedals. Mechanically its fine (new chainrings, chain and cables in the last year). Only caveat is that the armrests on the Vision alloy base bar are a little long in the tooth and should be replaced. If you can get your hands on an armrest kit ($50 - should be able to get it overnighted to CdA), you should be good to go. You could go without - I'd just hate to see one of the armrests let go completely and leave you with a very uncomfortable arm position for some portion of the race. I can help you dial in the contact points. I'm pulling out of Long Beach on Wednesday morning and will arrive on Thursday, midday. Just message back here, or txt me (I PM'd you my cell #) if you want to use it.

Sorry some POS f%$kstick had to disrupt the race for you like this.

-John
Last edited by: CrazyCanuck: Jun 20, 10 22:31
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [CrazyCanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you sir, I will PM you right away. Thanks again for all the quick responses...ST'ers are truly amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Another option to consider.....I'm in Santa Monica and I'm flying up on Wednesday morning with a double bike box (just mine inside). If you want to arrange a demo from Tri-Lab I will pick it up here, box it up with mine and deliver it to you in Cd'A on Wednesday night.

Let me know, Ian

310-924-7362
Ian@TeamTTS.com

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm extremely impressed by the responses. You guys are great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about your bike! Glad that you and the family are ok though.

It may be too big but I have a 54 2010 P2 with SRAM Red and 808's if you want to use it for the day. I live in Boise so I am not sure if it is on your way or not but just another option if you need a bike. Let me know if you need more information.

I am 5"10 with about a 31" inseam btw.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [cjbruin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey bro, just checked out ebay and nothing there but will check every time I hit up ebay. What is the frame color? Anyways, if you have an amex card, they have great travel insurance and might be able to help you out more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try Vertical Earth in CdA. http://www.verticalearth.com (208) 667-5503

quick search and fitness fanatics might have demos but you can call.. http://www.finfanatics.com 800-786-9796
Last edited by: jhnyringo: Jun 20, 10 23:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about this, but good luck on your race. Hopefully whoever the asshole is that stole your bike will ride it head on into an 18 wheeler, the only acceptable punishment for the crime.

Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all the help and well wishes and all the PMs. You guys have helped turn a panic situation into something that is hopefully just a hurdle that must be overcome. I am going to spend the day today trying to locate a possible bike in CdA and just found out CrazyCanuck lives a couple miles from my home in Long Beach, CA and has an extra bike he can bring with him if worse comes to worse.

No time to dwell on all the time I spent this year dialing in my fit...arrrggg sorry just dwelled, but I finally got that sucker down and the ride felt so good. Anyway, thanks again everyone and I will keep you posted.

Anyone in SF comes across a Felt DA on craigslist or one of the other places that sells stolen bikes. Mine is the standard black and gold DA from 2008 and there is a small crack at the rear of the left grip of the Zipp bars from where I dropped it. You can see the epoxy that was applied if you look close. There is also a wireless cateye ziptied to the stem and a profile aero bottle cage on the Zipp ski tip extensions. The front forks are probably scrapped up from where they literally ripped it out of the fork mount rack I had it mounted to in the back of my van.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also try to contact a felt rep. they should have one out at the race, they might be able to work out a way to let you use one of theirs. Or maybe another rep? You are going to be in the market for a new bike soon, if I was a rep I would jump at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve, that sucks!

Anyway, my wife has a Scott Plasma 52 w/ Zipp tubies. It has not been ridden in 3 years(might need a tune up). PM me if you are interested. Maybe CC could take it up to you.

Also, if you want to ride my Kalibur 54 or my Felt road bike you welcome to them.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Jun 21, 10 8:00
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve....any of the other options here are just fine with me as well. If there's something offered here that fits you better and is located in LA/Long Beach area, I can just as easily deliver that to you in lieu of my P2C. Just text me or post your final choice here (and go ahead and share my mobile # with the other party if we're going to need to coordinate delivery of their bike instead of mine).

-John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Sorry to hear about the bike. It sounds like you may have a found a solution for the race but, if not and if you are driving through Seattle, you may want to contact Speedy Reedy (206-632-9879, closed Mondays though). I don't think they typically rent bikes but, they are a great group of triathletes and may be able to work something out for you (wheels, saddle, pedals, at least?).

Best of luck and see you at CdA!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I just sent an email to all my SF friends that ride to be on the lookout for your bike. My bikes are too big for you and I live no where near CDa or I would offer mine. Good luck with finding a bike. I am sure it will all work since you have a week to work it out. I hope the person that stole your bike goes to jail and is made someones bitch for a couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve I live in Seattle and will be heading over there wednesday morning so if speedy reedy comes up with something or anyone else in this area let me know and ill be happy to bring it your way
Quote Reply
Re: HELP!!! Bike Stolen while driving to IM CdA!! [stilltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the best thread (not the part about the bike being stolen), I have read in a long time. Kudos to the ST community!

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve,

I'm still good for a delivery from LA if you need it - keep me (us) posted. Also, I can offer this too - if you can wrangle a trainer I'll bring my fit stuff and a few stems and we can hook up on Wednesday eve to get you dialed into what ever bike you find. For this to work you must call me before Wednesday morning at 6am (I'll need to know if the bars are 31.8 or 26.0) - I'll only bring fit tools and stems if you need 'em otherwise I leave for LAX and not pack that stuff.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve,

I'm leaving from Portland on Thursday morning. The tri shop here is great - Athlete's lounge: (503) 477-5906. If they can help you out in any way, I'd be glad to bring a bike or any equipment with me and get it to you Thursday evening.

Clare
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who has the balls to drive that kind of distance with little kids deserves all the help he can get. Hope it works out and when you cross that finish line, it will be all the more sweet to finish having overcome these obstacles.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the recent events... I have an '08 Felt B12 - size 52.
I am not far from Long Beach & should be able to get it to Crazycanuck by Wednesday.
Standard build w/Keo pedals.
Quote Reply

Prev Next