Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED ALPS vs. ZIPP 404
Quote | Reply
Which is a better wheel for racing TRIs? I know the ALPS are less expensive and the ZIPPs are lighter, but which one performs better? I currently own a pair of ALPS Tubulars but was considering the ZIPPs for my new bike.

Ross Hoopingarner
Quote Reply
Re: HED ALPS vs. ZIPP 404 [Hoop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 404's are a dreamy wheelset. They are REALLY REALLY light, and the hubs are sweet.

are the alps aluminum rim? i am not sure, but if it is just a carbon faring like the deep rims are (jet, deep, etc) then the zipps will be much lighter. Another thing is braking surface? differences? pads used?

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my 404s.. so light. They accelerate very quickly.. great hubs, I "feel" like I'm going faster, speedo does confirm.. compared to my Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Can't comment on the ALPs.

mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are doing REALLY hilly races like St Croix or the like, you won't find much advantage in spending the $$ for the Zipps, since you already have the Alps. I'd recommed investing in a PowerTap Pro and getting skilled in training with power instead. You'll get far more difference in your performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of 404's in 2001 and have done about 12 races on them. They are truely a great wheelset. I just got the new zipp disc this season and it is about as light as the 404 rear wheel. I plan on using it almost exclusively this season. Hilly or not.

Looking back, I would have went for the 909 becasue I find that the rear 404 just doesn't get much use now that I have the disc. But for sure, you can't go wrong with these wheels. Get tubulars though!
Quote Reply