Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED 3 VS Spoked wheels in heavy wind?????
Quote | Reply
I never used to have a handling issue with my bike untill I put on a pair of hed 3's this week, in anykind of crosswind 15-20mph these things tossed me around pretty good and I didnt like it, it seems pretty dangerous to me, I used to ride 404's and never had this problem. HED 3's are now for sale

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 VS Spoked wheels in heavy wind????? [Heavy D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad. I had some handling issues when I first got my set but now I'm fine. I couldn't imagine riding any other wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heavy D,

How heavy are you? I've ridden both and i've noticed that the ride is pretty comparable.... but maybe it's because i'm heavy (5'10" 170)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. It is like you are going to get thrown from your bike. I know it is hard for me to stay in the aero position in a stiff cross wind. I friend of mine told me he found that if he was running a disk in back that the hed3 on the front was a lot better. He felt that the disk had enough surface area to catch the wind evenly and allow the whole bike to be caught by the wind, rather than just the front hed 3 and the rear allowing all the air to go through it. It is the same for using a hed3 in back and a mavic ksyrium in the front. It is just something aobut the 3's that for some people can not ride with both of them. Hope this helps, and yes I just switched to 909's because I was sick of it. It is hard to race competitively when you have to slow down to control the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 VS Spoked wheels in heavy wind????? [eastcoasttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im a solid 230lbs and It was throwing me around like nothing, I couldnt concentrate on my ride, I was too worried about eating pavement. I cant imagine how a lighter guy can stay on his bike with these

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a frequent and disappointing result.

People say, "I don't want to use a disk wheel or a deep section wheel because of the danger/handling difficulty in high winds."

I strongly suggest the majority of those concerns are not valid. Here's why I say that:
  • The latent concern seems to be getting blown over so you crash, or having the wheel moved so significantly by a crosswind that you lose control and then crash.
  • I would suggest that for an average size rider- about 150 pounds- it would take and enormous amount of force to actually blow them completely over so they lost control and fell. I know that has happened somewhere in the world, but in (now) 22 years in the sport I have never seen it, talked to anyone who has experienced it first time nor experienced it myself. It strikes me as nearly an "urban legend".
  • Turbulent/gusty winds do create steering input or create handling anomolies with disk and deep section wheels- no question. THAT I have felt myself. But the key is just to maintain power to the pedals and keep going hard. That "buffeting" may acutally be the wind pushing the bike partially FORWARD. It is when you back off that your problems seem to begin, and you lose speed. In training, a person new to using a disk or deep section wheel would do well to put their race wheels on during particulary gusty conditions and go to a road that is free from traffic and practice, under somewhat controlled, non-race conditions, what the bike will handle like.

Bascially I think it boils down to a personal thing, like toe-clip overlap. We've had customers who have owned bikes with toe clip overlap for two years and they never realized it. It wasn;t ever a problem for them. But as soon as we mentioned it to them and gave it a name it became this near-lethal thng that suddenly made their bike "dangerous".

If the turbulence is disqueiting or alarming to you, perhaps a less aerodynamic wheel design may be more to your liking- but they aren't going to be as fast either. It's a trade off.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 5'9" and raced 160-165 last year and 155 the previous year. Yes, a couple of times I thought I was going to have to lay my trek tt on the pavement. They have since become my training rims. I am not going to take a chance of wrecking me or anyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds sketchy... Because there's no way a 230 dude should get thrown around on a set of 3's (unless you're bike in Kona!)

Last question... Are you sure you're set up correctly? (i.e. mainly your weight distribution) If so... i'm out of ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 VS Spoked wheels in heavy wind????? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
This is a frequent and disappointing result.

People say, "I don't want to use a disk wheel or a deep section wheel because of the danger/handling difficulty in high winds."

I strongly suggest the majority of those concerns are not valid. Here's why I say that:
  • The latent concern seems to be getting blown over so you crash, or having the wheel moved so significantly by a crosswind that you lose control and then crash.
  • I would suggest that for an average size rider- about 150 pounds- it would take and enormous amount of force to actually blow them completely over so they lost control and fell. I know that has happened somewhere in the world, but in (now) 22 years in the sport I have never seen it, talked to anyone who has experienced it first time nor experienced it myself. It strikes me as nearly an "urban legend".
  • Turbulent/gusty winds do create steering input or create handling anomolies with disk and deep section wheels- no question. THAT I have felt myself. But the key is just to maintain power to the pedals and keep going hard. That "buffeting" may acutally be the wind pushing the bike partially FORWARD. It is when you back off that your problems seem to begin, and you lose speed. In training, a person new to using a disk or deep section wheel would do well to put their race wheels on during particulary gusty conditions and go to a road that is free from traffic and practice, under somewhat controlled, non-race conditions, what the bike will handle like.

Tom,

I agree, unless you're riding in a tornado, chances are you will stay up right. If you just "go with the flow" you should be ok. But what about other moving obstacles? When we train we share the road with cars, many of which (at least near me) are none to happy that a cyclist is taking up his roadway. I'd hate to go with the flow right into a car. Secondly during races, we experience all skill levels of riders on the course, many are near pro like all the ST.com riders, but I have seen my fair share of swervers who couldn't hold a line if you paid them. I can think of one race in particular, the Chicago Tri, where I spend almost the entire race in passing lane, which to the outside right next to traffic. Between "Uncle Joe" who thinks he is cool swerving along at 15mph in the passing lane, and the pissed off Chicago motorists hugging the cones a 70 mhp, I can't imagine not having complete control of my bike while banging down LSD (not the drug) at 25-30Mph.

Tim

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 VS Spoked wheels in heavy wind????? [eastcoasttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think practice is a factor in all wind related problems. People that ride in wind all the time adjust, people that don't have the wind to train in don't. A bit like climbing, it is something you have to do to stay good at it. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the details on the 3's

I ride 3's almost exclusively training and racing, I have not had an issue with being blown off my bike.

I really think that the wheels are not the culprit, it is a change and adaption period that needs to happens as you adjust to new equipment and its interaction with you.

If your wheels are really troubling you and they are 700c tubies I would love to aid in the purchase of a new set of wheels for you.

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Heavy D

don't sale the H3's, give them some time. i have a set of Rev-X wheels and they some times are a hand full. but like a lot of the people are saying it just some thing new to get use to! i was out last week on my TT bike with the Spingergys on and i got a good pushing around, but i'm use to it so it's no prob now!

bikedude...
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 VS Spoked wheels in heavy wind????? [super clyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode the 404's all last year and never had a problem with handling in the wind and even used a disk and have had no problems. I dont think it has anything to do with the rear wheel, trust me with my big ass on it the rear is not going anywhere, its the front end that is all over the place with the hed 3. Im gonna test it again tomorrow in different speed regimes and swap out with a spoked wheel and see what happens. The wheels are hed3 carbon tubbies 700c.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HD,

I you want to part with them after the test, I am listening email or pm me
kevinhetzel@hotmail.com

K
Quote Reply