Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Schwcl2
Last edited by: Schwcl2: Mar 30, 18 17:23
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [Schwcl2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If she goes faster than 15:15 for a 10k I doubt she'll run the marathon anymore....

Anyways - I think she'll do well. 44 days at altitude training with Shalane coming down to do the 10k tonight. Will be fun to watch. I'll guess 31:15

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol! 15:15 would be insane, or it could be the shoes!! It would be fun to watch if only Flotrack wasn't the only one broadcasting.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [Schwcl2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will be interesting to see how she does in the 10km there. Also noticed she is listed as being on the Nike - Bowerman TC now.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow 31:55! Wins it.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

www.gwenjorgensen.com/stanford
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was the reason for her racing in 4% her Achilles issues? Would think that spikes would be faster otherwise.
Love your vids btw, still want to know what her favorite race ever was (that she was not in herself)

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Last edited by: oscaro: Mar 31, 18 2:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did I miss it or is there a reason you didn't put her finish tine in the video?

I first watched the video off YouTube and had to come here for the finish time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love that she went to in n out burger after that race. And loved that you put that at the end of the video.

It’s like when like when people didn’t think she drank redbull.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nike shorts on this time. Just an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was entered under “Nike - Bowerman Track Club”. It was only a matter of time and I’m guessing Insta will have the official announcement today
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s gotta be the shoes..do you know, do you know, do you know?
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked the shot of the burger at the end. She looks way leaner than I have seen, maybe the result of a big block of training at altitude, maybe becoming more of a pure runner physically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She definitely could have gone faster, probably at least the 31;30 or better that her 5k time indicated she could do. It would be nice for her to get into another race now where there are actually ladies to stretch her. The past two races she just sat on basically and sprinted.

I am just a tad bit worried about her attitude about mileage and readiness. I really hope this new coach has a handle on the fact that perhaps she does not need the big mileage of the Kenyans, and she seems to be in the injury great area a lot. She is a racer, let her race to fitness. She would probably crush a 1/2 marathon right now, stop putting negative thoughts into her head about not enough miles.

Cant wait for the next episode!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job - thanks Talbot!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just a tad bit worried about her attitude about mileage and readiness. I really hope this new coach has a handle on the fact that perhaps she does not need the big mileage of the Kenyans, and she seems to be in the injury great area a lot. She is a racer, let her race to fitness. She would probably crush a 1/2 marathon right now, stop putting negative thoughts into her head about not enough miles

I know the marathon is the target and I don't want to second guess her or Jerry Schumacher, but I would think racing a solid season of 5000/10000 on the track (more 5's than 10's as there are not a lot of good international 10's on the track these days), would serve her well and be a better step up to the 1/2 Marathon, and Marathon later - but the schedule may be more compressed than that (read on)

It's an odd year this year - No IAAF World Championships (Outdoors). So the main focus for the year for Track & Field athletes will be the Diamond League meets, and for Americans, possibly the NACAC Championships. Next year (2019), the IAAF World Championships will be back and of course the following year, the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - which I'm guessing is one of Gwen's targets. But she'll have to run 3 marathons to get there - One to get a US Olympic Trials Qualifying time (likely "easy" for her), then the US Olympic Trials itself, where she will need to finish in the top 3 of what is a ever deepening field of top U.S. women marathon runners, and then of course the Olympic Games in Tokyo in the summer of 2020.

So that being said - there may be a push to probably run a marathon this year before the year is out, to get at least that US Olympic Trials time out of the way. Keep in mind, while it's all gone well and great to this point and will continue that way, I'm sure - ounce you step up to the marathon, you start to get into the any-thing-can-happen zone of race distances.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 31, 18 13:06
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
mike s wrote:
It’s gotta be the shoes..do you know, do you know, do you know?

I would love to see what she can do without the shoes

I wear vaporfly, and think they are awesome for road races, especially long ones. I’m very doubtful that they would be the fastest shoe for a 30min track race.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
I liked the shot of the burger at the end. She looks way leaner than I have seen, maybe the result of a big block of training at altitude, maybe becoming more of a pure runner physically.

I believe she is still nursing her baby, which could certainly lead to a woman becoming “leaner,” especially with a high training load. My understanding is that nursing actually requires more calories than pregnancy itself. It is very admirable what she is doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm naturally tall and lean - most would say skinny. When I quit triathlon a number of years ago, and went back to just running for a few years, I lost about 5+ lbs of upper body muscle that I had built up over the years if swimming. I stopped swimming cold-turkey! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s why I’ll always swim, don’t want to look like a pow.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A long way to go for Gwen. I would like to see her against a bit of competition but it's early. Not surprised by the team, and coach choice as she is based near Portland and was coached by Schumaker at Wisconsin. Surprised she went with a road flat but possible that she either had issues or tested road shoe under competition before she takes to the road. There is a lot of talk about PR's but remember those were college times and while she has run track events it's not like she came off the couch. She did train and race at the highest level in triathlon. I am skeptical for a triathlete attempting to run at elite level but time will tell.
Quote Reply
Re: Gwen and the Stanford Invitational [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very impressive performance. In 2017 the top three 10K times were 30:16, 30:41, and 30:42. Only 5 times were below 31. If she can drop 40 seconds or so she would be competitive with the best in the world in most races. If that happens - amazing stuff.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I am just a tad bit worried about her attitude about mileage and readiness. I really hope this new coach has a handle on the fact that perhaps she does not need the big mileage of the Kenyans, and she seems to be in the injury great area a lot. She is a racer, let her race to fitness. She would probably crush a 1/2 marathon right now, stop putting negative thoughts into her head about not enough miles

I know the marathon is the target and I don't want to second guess her or Jerry Schumacher, but I would think racing a solid season of 5000/10000 on the track (more 5's than 10's as there are not a lot of good international 10's on the track these days), would serve her well and be a better step up to the 1/2 Marathon, and Marathon later - but the schedule may be more compressed than that (read on)

It's an odd year this year - No IAAF World Championships (Outdoors). So the main focus for the year for Track & Field athletes will be the Diamond League meets, and for Americans, possibly the NACAC Championships. Next year (2019), the IAAF World Championships will be back and of course the following year, the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games - which I'm guessing is one of Gwen's targets. But she'll have to run 3 marathons to get there - One to get a US Olympic Trials Qualifying time (likely "easy" for her), then the US Olympic Trials itself, where she will need to finish in the top 3 of what is a ever deepening field of top U.S. women marathon runners, and then of course the Olympic Games in Tokyo in the summer of 2020.

So that being said - there may be a push to probably run a marathon this year before the year is out, to get at least that US Olympic Trials time out of the way. Keep in mind, while it's all gone well and great to this point and will continue that way, I'm sure - ounce you step up to the marathon, you start to get into the any-thing-can-happen zone of race distances.

1:13 for the HM will qualifier her:

http://www.usatf.org/...2020-U-S--Olymp.aspx

Rupp showed up to the Trials in 2016 with just a HM qualifier and debuted at the marathon there. I'm not saying that's her plan but there is precedence for debuting at the Trials without having ever run a marathon and doing well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There’s a B standard for marathon trials based on half marathon times. One of my sister’s friends ran his first marathon at trials as he qualified with the sub 1:05 half standard. Not saying necessarily smart as there is a learning curve to the distance but it can be done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next