Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Green Mountain Stage Race: Stage 3
Quote | Reply
This is it. The final stage. I actually didn' stick around after the 2nd stage to see the results. I thought if I found out I didn't make it into the top ten on the GC I might just skip the crit.

The race bible says this 6 turn very technical 1K crit is "for experienced criterium ridres" and that all riders should ride with "extreme caution." Sounds like a great place for an 80 rider Cat 4/5 crit. To up the stakes a little bit, pretty much the whole race is on the line, over $1000 in prize money. The other stages had 125 points for the winner, but so does the crit. For the other stages the worst you could do is -10 points, if you were more than 20% outside the winning time (that would be 36 minutes for yesterdays stage), if you get pulled in the first 12 of 24 laps you get -35 for the crit. This equalizes the race and bit and gives the sprinters a chance, but I feel like it puts way too much emphasis on the crit.

As I drive into Burlington I see a sign that says give blood today. Fortunately it is not pointing in the same direction as the crit. I arrive and sign in and I am pleased to see I am in 9th place. I get the bike ready and begin warming up. Just riding around doing some accelerations, trying to get good and loose. I have only ridden one crit in my life. I was hoping to get a few warmup laps on the course to get the feel, but the schedule is tight and there is no opportunity. I report to the staging area. Fortunately, being in the top ten gets you a call up. This is really cool. Called individually to the line, "Matt Mallet riding for the Capital district Triathlon Club." I roll up to take my place on the front row. The race goes all downhill (uphill would be more appropriate I guess) from here.

The whistle blows, I turn the pedal, miss clipping in. Miss again and like 20 guys are already by me. Buried into the first turn. There was something about a controlled start through the first four turns, I am in trouble already. I see the pace car turn the fourth corner and hear it peel out. I am fighting to hang on, but at the same time hitting the brakes way too much. A catch a few guys falling back and they are out the back as I struggle to catch on. Middle of lap two and I am right behind the last guy, he slows a bit, I yell on your left, but I am on his right, doh! He swerves right, I brake to avoid him, lose his wheel and that's it. Lap two and I am off the back.

I hammer to hold my ground, just riding for pride and not to get pulled in the first 12. I fight the good fight for 8 more laps (finally get in a groove and start really hammering through the corners), but get pulled with 14 to go. Premature in my book (I was at the top of the one hill and the pace car was not even around the turn at the bottom. I could have held out at least 2 more laps, I was dropped, but not cracked, but what's the point in arguing with the ref.

Off the course I load up my bike. Grab shorts and running shoes and do a 40 minute run along the Burlington waterfront. I had hoped to have better go in the crit, but I did what I could. I didn't do any group rides this year and don't have any kick on the bike. Get back and check the results; 66th. At least I beat 6 guys and 6 more never showed. Only 30 guys made it through the race without getting yanked. The guy that won the last two stages solo, also won the crit. He must be an okay rider. He wins the GC ($350 for the 3 wins, plus the GC), I get 32nd ($0 and wounded pride). If I could have held out 2 more laps, I would have been 23rd ($0 and pride intact). Getting your but kicked in a cat 4/5 crit priceless.

Overall, this race was really good experience. Pushed myslef to the limit in every stage. Didn't have as much as I thought I might, but at least I found out what I did have, so I learned something.

"When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Sep 8, 05 18:58
Quote Reply
Re: Green Mountain Stage Race: Stage 3 [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt,

I have loved hearing your GMSR tales. I grew up in VT and lived just outside b-town. I know the roads that the race is held on very well. Heck I think that I watched the crit a couple of times - its no walk in the park for sure.

Hell I'm impressed that you made it though the first 3 days in such great shape. I've done a single road race and I don't think that i'll be back anytime soon.

Thanks for the report - it makes me miss my home state even more. I'll just have to remember that in Feb when I'm out on my bike on one of the 60 degree feb days we get here in NC.

Way to go - it takes balls just to sign up for a multi-day race, much less complete all the stages. Maybe I'll see you from the sidelines next year.

jsargevt

~~~~~~~
Do or do not there is no try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Superb report my man. Big kudos for giving it a shot in the crit; at least you got your moment in the sun with the call-up to the line. You represented the tri community admirably.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Green Mountain Stage Race: Stage 3 [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triyoda...great work. I like your quote from the Timberman report, "When I first had the opportunity to compete in triathlon, it was the chicks and their skimpy race clothing that drew me in. Everyone was so welcoming and the lifestyle so obviously narcissistic. I fed off of that vain energy. To me it is what the sport is all about."
—Tri_yoda, 2005

Now you are racing with roadies or training with posers like Kus and I. I think you have to go back to the roots of why you originally did tri !

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everybody gets shelled off the back at a Crit at least a few times. They are dirty, bloody, agressive races for miscreants and ne'er do wellers. I think that is why I love them so much. Unlike the longer races where there is the nice long warm up and then a few attacks and then a break, a crit is full on mortal combat from the start. It is like the quickie of bike races. That may be another reason I enjoy them so.
Great race report. Never underestimate the power of the third race legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great report! yes, 6 turns is pretty technical, the Toona crit I posted about earlier was 5 turns (and people still fell like dominoes). by the way, get speedplays - damn easy to clip in. otherwise, great work!
Quote Reply