Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete
Quote | Reply
Video speaks for itself, 3rd place finisher runs into barrier, nr 4 passes him just for the finish but sees the mistake from his competitor and decides to wait and let his rival take 3rd place.

https://www.instagram.com/...?utm_source=ig_embed

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Sep 21, 20 5:18
Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Society, and particularly politicians, could learn a lot from acts of sportsmanship like this. I thought the sportsmanship at the TdF was at a very high level too. Thanks for sharing this.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is probably better. It's an elite cross with prize money and it's for the victory. The Kenyan thought he'd finished and the Spaniard warned him and didn't sprint him.

Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now featured by Will Smith in his Insta account: https://www.instagram.com/...?utm_source=ig_embed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a rare piece of good news for these times.

There's always examples of good sportsmanship (and womanship.....:0) it's a confirmation of what sport should be,
(but isn't, most of the time).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love it. What always amazes me about things like this is that it all happens in a blink of an eye when you are on a race course and yet the racer has the conscious awareness of what he is doing with so little mental capacity to reason because of the level of effort. Not the same set of sportsmanship, but I'll never forget Alistair carrying his brother across the finish line at Cozumel. It blows my mind thinking about what actually transpired with Murray breathing down the neck of the Brownlees and Ali have the wherewithal and conscious awareness to know he had to push his brother over the line before he crossed.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great sporstmanship indeed! Hope they split the prize money :-)
Not sure what I would have done tbh, tricky as course knowledge is also part of the race...
If we had fought hard before the final corner and the other guy was simply stronger/had already won, I hope I'd do the same in the heat of the moment.
On the other hand, if we were still going to sprint for the finish and I didn't "feel" defeated yet, then most probably not...

What would you guys do??
Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [Kempenaer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:
Not sure what I would have done tbh, tricky as course knowledge is also part of the race...
If we had fought hard before the final corner and the other guy was simply stronger/had already won, I hope I'd do the same in the heat of the moment.
On the other hand, if we were still going to sprint for the finish and I didn't "feel" defeated yet, then most probably not...

What would you guys do??

They awarded 4th the same prize money as 3rd which was great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two of the most acclaimed runners Australia has produced, John Landy and Ron Clarke at the 1956 Australian Mile Championship. And a legendary display of sportsmanship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozZyfM5l9ws

At the time of the race, Landy was the world record holder for the mile and Clarke was junior world record holder.

Clarke would go on to light the cauldron at the opening ceremony of the Melbourne Olympics and set 17 world records in open competition, (18 if his 10000 metre WR at Turku, Finland in 1965 had been duly ratified). Probably the greatest athlete never to win Olympic gold.
Last edited by: satanellus: Sep 22, 20 4:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like good sportsmanship but at the same time how many threads have been posted on here about knowing the course and having mental strength and pacing? Seems like those are all fair parts of the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the equivalent of a NASCAR driver crashing on the final corner due to his own error and the guy coming behind slamming on his brakes and letting him re-take the lead.

Fair enough if it is something out of the athlete's control like being mis-directed, but in this case he just wasn't paying attention and ran into a fence that was clearly there.
Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
It's a rare piece of good news for these times.

There's always examples of good sportsmanship (and womanship.....:0) it's a confirmation of what sport should be,
(but isn't, most of the time).

Sportsmanship is about giving your all and then accepting the outcome because at the end of the day what truly matters is what you put into the effort.

Andy Potts won the CapTex Tri maybe 7 years ago because he had the sense to stay on the course when other swimmers went astray. I went to a clinic and Andy talked about this, saying it confirmed what he had told all the kids he swims with - winning takes place in the body AND the brain.
Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good sportsmanship is striving for your very best and keeping with best ethics and behavior. Allowing someone to pass ahead of you due to a mistake on their part is not really 'good sportsmanship', IMO. The question is 'what it a mental mistake or was the course the issue?'

It looked to me like he took an inside line and tried to pass during the left corner which was 90 degrees and it surprised him. Perhaps the course was not well constructed but that is a danger in taking that line.

Now, would I stop and give third place away...I'm not sure, I'm not saying I wouldn't do it myself, if I thought the course was poorly marked or that turn was blinded to the athletes involved, but it may have been a bit overly gracious.

Included in the definition of sportsmanship is the 'will to win' and fairly...It also seems like he said something to the Spanish triathlete too. I'd love to know what was said. I'm very glad that 3rd and 4th got equal prize money-that is truly fair.

To me, it's all about how well that course was marked into that turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replying to no one in particular, if anyone cares to look at the video they will see that the spectators are lined up behind a barrier that continues off to the left of the course. When you are running to that corner and looking at where the people are behind that barrier, I would probably assume that's the direction of the chute. The banner and timing clock, considering the turn and foliage, would be hidden from view whatever direction the finish chute is placed.

So yes, this was good sportsmanship.

I have never been tested in that way in a race, so my sportsmanship has never been tested in that fashion. I can only hope I have the presence of mind to see the proper line, but also to understand the dilemma. As an AG competitor, there's usually a bit of a crowd in front of me, to follow.

For those who don't see the dilemma, I should point out this was for 3rd & 4th (corrected from earlier) place, which in another way is like saying not first and not first. It was a kind gesture and should be applauded for that.
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Sep 23, 20 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I replayed that video at least 10 times before I posted.

There is just no way to tell how easy it is to see that upcoming corner. It seems difficult. And it must have been difficult to judge if it was a only slight or a more serious turn to the left when approaching. I can't believe he'd accelerate into the left side and then just drift into the barrier if he knew it was 90 degrees. It's kind of hard to run super fast into a sharp corner so it seems that it was a rather poor design, especially if there was to be a 'sprint finish' that may decide podium spots.

This was for 3rd and 4th (not 2nd and 3rd).

It was extremely kind and generous, perhaps, more than was required.

I can think of many times when there was poor course design that have cost higher placing for me or others. I remember once in a sprint tri a few years ago, I was all out across the finish line to just beat an AG competitor as they sauntered into the finish. In that race, there was a turn and the finish line was around a corner and he never saw me coming. The race is to the end and I did not stop pressing until I crossed the line. 1AG for me 2AG for him. He was kicking himself for sure. I did not feel I was showing poor sportsmanship at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the same thing as you in that what I primarily see is a guy who has his head down not paying attention. But either was we can agree that the gesture was nice.

Sports ethics are such an interesting thing. The point of any offspeed pitch in baseball is specifically to deceive the batter. To illustrate how sports ethics have changed: 50 years ago an off speed pitch on a 2 strike count were grounds for a mound charging. I think it is the money involved that redefined this issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is interesting regarding off-speed pitches. I've not read that previously. I wonder about that whole 'stealing bases' thing too. That is pretty deceptive-the nerve!

(*I guess I'm not going to get any 'likes' from the Fresh Prince...oh, well...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kempenaer wrote:

What would you guys do??

I appreciate your response and we’re on the same page. To me, there’s one question. Was I well and truly beaten? We all know when the finish is fast approaching and we aren’t going to pass or hold off that person. We know we are beaten. In that case, I’d like to give them the spot.

But if I still feel in game-on mode, then I’m not waiting.

And both decisions reflect good sportsmanship.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Integrity is a brilliant character trait to display to our fellow human beings. Bravo!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it a given the guy was actually going to get 3rd or were they both about to sprint for the finish?
Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wondered if they had bumped into eachother behind the tree which launched Teagen into the barriers, but this article explains that Teagen was in the lead earlier and went off course and this last turn was him wildly trying to get his position back. Pretty cool gesture because the spanish guy gave up his spot on the podium next to Javier Gomez

https://www.newsweek.com/...-finish-line-1533290
Quote Reply
Re: Great sportsmanship from Spanish triathlete [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes it certainly appears there was a bump of some sorts behind the trees , maybe the Spanish guy felt a little guilty perhaps ?
Quote Reply