Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great day at UTMB for the Americans
Quote | Reply
Walmsley finally slays his white whale and Dauwalter finishes off the 2023 triple crown in style.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dauwalter is on a whole other level, GOAT.
Also Zach miller in 2nd.
I thought broadcast was really good, better than most IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
Dauwalter is on a whole other level, GOAT.
Also Zach miller in 2nd.
I thought broadcast was really good, better than most IM.

Yup should have mentioned Zach. And yes Dauwalter definitely the goat. Basically if she doesn’t DNF she wins and it’s usually isn’t even close.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reckon Iden and Blu could crush the UTMB. They log way more hours of endurance training than any ultra runner, and their biking prowess would give them powerful legs and particularly quads for the climbs which tends to be a weakness of pure runners. UTMB trails are not very technical but even still both Norwegians do quite a bit of off road training in the mountains.

Go for it boys!
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [TheGOAT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim rides a fair bit.
And he has always been interested in cycling.
Even dabbled in triathlon before he got really into trail stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:
Reckon Iden and Blu could crush the UTMB. They log way more hours of endurance training than any ultra runner, and their biking prowess would give them powerful legs and particularly quads for the climbs which tends to be a weakness of pure runners. UTMB trails are not very technical but even still both Norwegians do quite a bit of off road training in the mountains.

Go for it boys!

Lol

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a definitive group of most prestigious trail runs? Lile the momuments in cycling or majors in marathon?

Guessing utmb and western states but what else?
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hardrock I think, but I’m no expert.

Has Courtney expressed any interest or non interest in Barclay?
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
Hardrock I think, but I’m no expert.

Has Courtney expressed any interest or non interest in Barclay?

In 2021 she finished two loops and in 2022 she finished one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think anything will top UTMB this year as far as keeping my interest as an endurance sports fan.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 2, 23 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheGOAT wrote:

Go for it boys!

Ultra running is more than fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Is there a definitive group of most prestigious trail runs? Lile the momuments in cycling or majors in marathon?

Guessing utmb and western states but what else?

If you believe the UTMB (ie Ironman) marketing, then yes.

UTMB World Series Majors

Though the three races have limited history, apparently only having been established for a couple of years as feeder races events for UTMB. It seems the prestige of a World Series Major is more to do with Ironman corp's marketing division and hyping up UTMB than anything else.

In reality, as far as a trail running equivalent of cycling monuments or the marathon majors, not really.

Back in the 1980s/90s there was the 100 Mile Grand Slam in US; Western States, Leadville, Angeles Crest and Wasatch Front. Completing the Grand Slam involved finishing all four races in calendar year. Certainly, a tough summer and only a realistic goal for US runners. Back then, the most coveted ultras in Europe and elsewhere tended to be road events; Spartathlon 246km and many of the 100km races in Europe, Comrades in South Africa, 100km races in Japan, etc.

UTMB was at forefront of the explosion in popularity of longer trail ultras in Europe 20 years ago, about the same time that trail ultras really started taking off in Aus, NZ and Asia.
Last edited by: satanellus: Sep 2, 23 22:06
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oprfcc wrote:
Jim rides a fair bit.

Maybe he'll race Kona. I reckon he would crush it!

He logs way longer race days than any triathletes, and his running prowess would give him endurance for last 10 miles which tends to be a weakness of pure triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I don't think anything will top UTMB this year as far as keeping my interest as an endurance sports fan.
I too was glued to the live stream, just like I was last year. The crowd at Col de Forclaz was about the coolest thing I've ever seen at an endurance event. Second only to some of the craziness seen at the tour, but it was even better because it was a running event. It must have been surreal for the runners to pass through a crowd like that in the middle of nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/...;ab_channel=rrrrremi
Last edited by: carrotguy: Sep 3, 23 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
oprfcc wrote:
Jim rides a fair bit.

He logs way longer race days than any triathletes, and his running prowess would give him endurance for last 10 miles which tends to be a weakness of pure triathletes.

I smell a famous YouTube star cross over challenge video. Lionel v Jim purpose built match.
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
satanellus wrote:
oprfcc wrote:
Jim rides a fair bit.

I smell a famous YouTube star cross over challenge video. Lionel v Jim purpose built match.

Not needed. Everyone knows that Goggins is unbeatable at everything. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll try to bring this post back from the jokes (as funny as they might be!)

I watched the post race interview that irunfar did with Jim. He made an interesting comment that he did a much better job (and trained a lot more) at/for aid stations. He made a concerted effort to be more efficient and not giving up free time to competitors. Reminded me a lot about how it’s important for triathletes to be good at T1 and T2!

He said that of all races UTMB has the most gear to manage because of all the multiple types of terrain and conditions you face. He said a lot of trail runners struggle to master that at utmb and implied that they end up either carrying too much or too little which also gives up time to competitors

As triathletes we are no stranger to lots of gear and transitions so it was interesting to hear how applicable that also is at utmb specifically.
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [Birdmantris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sophia Laukli the US nordic skier has won some major trail marathons this year with very little running pedigree. She just got a hefty sponsorship from Soloman and lots of people in the running world are scratching their heads wondering how an athlete could get so good with so little running background. She has not trained for running at all, just sprinkling runs into her nordic ski training. Her stravavsay she typically runs about 25 miles a week, 800 running miles this year total.

Courtney Dauwater was a collegiate D1 nordic skier for Denver, Laukli skied for Middlebury and Utah before making the US team.
Last edited by: endosch2: Sep 5, 23 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1!

The arrogance of some triathletes is just out of this world. It took Walmsley moving to France and 5 tries to win UTMB. I love Gustav and Blu but they experience nothing like what ultrarunners experience at UTMB.
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 for me i would love to see some africans doing these events and wiping the floor of these instagrammers
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [waverider101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you truly would "love to see" that, you should be watching the Golden Trail Series on YouTube. Kenyan runners have a strong team and are quite competitive. Not necessarily "wiping the floor". But, more on courses and locales that suit. With experience and increased team depth, that should broaden.

Sophia Laukli has been fantastic and I can't wait for the Nordic Ski season to begin hoping all this translates to equally strong performances there.

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [CNullATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There unfortunately is also this...

https://www.irunfar.com/mark-kangogo-doping-ban-2022-sierre-zinal

and this...

https://runningmagazine.ca/trail-running/sierre-zinal-womens-champion-busted-for-doping/

Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmm. well that's not good. :)

cock-up before conspiracy
Quote Reply
Re: Great day at UTMB for the Americans [CNullATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ty will check it
Quote Reply