Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gravel tire recommendations needed...
Quote | Reply
The max width I can fit on my frame is 700x40. Looking for something fast/light with decent puncture resistance. Currently using Schwalbe G-One 700x38. I use the Allround version on back and Bite version on front for a bit better cornering traction. Is there anything similar to this setup, but faster without giving up puncture resistance?

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Panaracer Gravelking SKs have a great rep for not flatting - much better than Schwalbe. Roll well but probably not as well. Excel sells them for a good price.

I'm using the Clement LAS clinchers (not tubeless) set up as tubeless. On Iron cross rims they measure 37.5 mm. Really like how they roll, the clinchers are super supple and I can get them for cheap. Haven't burped or flatted them yet but the gravel in CO is quite mild.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on the Panaracer team, so I'm sure you can guess what I'm about to say...

If you're unhappy with your current tire, I'd give the Gravelking SK 38 a try. It usually measures wide on modern rims. On my Stan's rims, they measure about 40mm. As has been said already, you should see an increase in puncture protection by going to the GK. They make a slick version (same casing, but slick tread instead of small knob) but I would avoid it. I'm not convinced that the slick rolls faster on gravel, and you give up grip (climbing and cornering) over the small knob version.

With that all said, I've heard that the Schwalbe is a fast rolling tire for gravel. I haven't used them. I've heard people say that they don't have good traction and I've heard they aren't super durable, but I've never heard people say they are slow! If you're looking for pure speed, there may not be many options better. For the courses I race on, I value protection over pure speed, and the Gravelking seems to fit into a sweet-spot in terms of balance.

The only complaint I hear with the Gravelkings is that they fling rocks on all the riders behind you, hence the gravelfling/gravelsling knick-names. Other than riders not wanting to draft me, i've had nothing but good experiences with these tires in size 35c, 38c, and 43c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
The max width I can fit on my frame is 700x40. Looking for something fast/light with decent puncture resistance. Currently using Schwalbe G-One 700x38. I use the Allround version on back and Bite version on front for a bit better cornering traction. Is there anything similar to this setup, but faster without giving up puncture resistance?

i've ridden schalbe G-One, the same tire you're riding. i switched to specialized 2-bliss trigger pro in 38mm, and i liked that tire better. more grip. then i switched to challenge gravel grinder pro, 36mm, and that's the best.

now, one thing about that challenge. it's a mutha to put on. it's tight. but, it's tubeless, so, you don't have to take it off, unless you get a flat you need to boot, or put a tube in.

and finally, plenty of people here more expert than i am.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve used both the Gravel Kings and the Teravail Cannonballs in the last year and have no complaints with either. I just bought a set of wheels off of a buddy and they have the Teravail Rampart already mounted... he used them for most of this season and loved them, which doesn’t make sense as they almost look like slicks... not sure how narrow they come though as mine are 41’s
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
I'm on the Panaracer team, so I'm sure you can guess what I'm about to say...

If you're unhappy with your current tire, I'd give the Gravelking SK 38 a try. It usually measures wide on modern rims. On my Stan's rims, they measure about 40mm. As has been said already, you should see an increase in puncture protection by going to the GK. They make a slick version (same casing, but slick tread instead of small knob) but I would avoid it. I'm not convinced that the slick rolls faster on gravel, and you give up grip (climbing and cornering) over the small knob version.

With that all said, I've heard that the Schwalbe is a fast rolling tire for gravel. I haven't used them. I've heard people say that they don't have good traction and I've heard they aren't super durable, but I've never heard people say they are slow! If you're looking for pure speed, there may not be many options better. For the courses I race on, I value protection over pure speed, and the Gravelking seems to fit into a sweet-spot in terms of balance.

The only complaint I hear with the Gravelkings is that they fling rocks on all the riders behind you, hence the gravelfling/gravelsling knick-names. Other than riders not wanting to draft me, i've had nothing but good experiences with these tires in size 35c, 38c, and 43c.

Hi, Rob. We've actually met before. Possibly Gravel Worlds 2016, or maybe The Epic in MO. Anyway...

I've had a few sets of the SK40s. (Back before they changed the hot patch to "43".) I've also had a set of the SK35s. (Again, before the change to "38".) I never had an issue with the 40s. However, the 38s I had kept losing knobs.

I'm not sure if it's because there was some sort of issue with the brown sidewalls when they first came out or what. But, after much back & forth with Panaracer, sending pics of the missing knobs, etc., they refused to do anything about it and wouldn't acknowledge there was an issue with the tires. That was enough to make me not want to give them another shot. It's a shame since I never had any issue with my previous sets, but what can I say? I feel like I got screwed out of $80ish on defective tires and I hold a grudge. LOL

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on a pair of Panaracer GravelKing SK 35s. No complaints, running them tubeless on a set of wider rims. Seems to be a great balance for gravel + a bit of road. No flats after a season of running them in the PNW and Rockies. A bit of effort to keep up with friends on slicks, but love being able to peel off onto the dirt when riding alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've ridden schalbe G-One, the same tire you're riding. i switched to specialized 2-bliss trigger pro in 38mm, and i liked that tire better. more grip. then i switched to challenge gravel grinder pro, 36mm, and that's the best.

now, one thing about that challenge. it's a mutha to put on. it's tight. but, it's tubeless, so, you don't have to take it off, unless you get a flat you need to boot, or put a tube in.

Thanks. Are the Gravel Grinder Pros a true 36mm width? How are they comfort-wise compared to the Schwalbe and/or Trigger Pro? In what way(s) do you feel they're "the best", comparatively?

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Thanks. Are the Gravel Grinder Pros a true 36mm width? How are they comfort-wise compared to the Schwalbe and/or Trigger Pro? In what way(s) do you feel they're "the best", comparatively?

yes, true 36mm. very favorable comfort wise. just as good. 260tpi, i run 35psi or less. great tire.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity: are you guys using tubes, tubes w/sealant, or tubeless?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
The_Mickstar wrote:

I think you mean "Gravel Grinder TLR" (not Pro)....that's the only model that's tubeless ready in the GG lineup. I have some of those in hand, but haven't had a chance to test them yet. BTW, that tire is only 120tpi construction.

The Gravel Grinder Pro is actually a "open tubular" type construction, 260tpi casing tire (not tubeless). I run latex tubes in those and they are quite nice set up like that. I have yet to flat one of those...pinch, or puncture.

Additionally, the Gravel Grinder Race is a "vulcanized construction", 120tpi tire (not tubeless...although I've read of folks running them that way).

I just thought I'd mention that so that others aren't confused over exactly what tire you were talking about above.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
Out of curiosity: are you guys using tubes, tubes w/sealant, or tubeless?

tubeless w/sealant.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
The_Mickstar wrote:

I think you mean "Gravel Grinder TLR" (not Pro)....that's the only model that's tubeless ready in the GG lineup. I have some of those in hand, but haven't had a chance to test them yet. BTW, that tire is only 120tpi construction.

The Gravel Grinder Pro is actually a "open tubular" type construction, 260tpi casing tire (not tubeless). I run latex tubes in those and they are quite nice set up like that. I have yet to flat one of those...pinch, or puncture.

Additionally, the Gravel Grinder Race is a "vulcanized construction", 120tpi tire (not tubeless...although I've read of folks running them that way).

I just thought I'd mention that so that others aren't confused over exactly what tire you were talking about above.

well, i'll take the bike out of the bike case and look and see. (i haven't cracked the case since returning from kona.) it's definitely a 260tpi 36mm tire and if i'm riding something not tubeless, it's doing pretty well as a tubeless. i'll report back what in fact it is. but if it's not tubeless, i'm not changing anything, because it's been dope so far.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
The_Mickstar wrote:

well, i'll take the bike out of the bike case and look and see. (i haven't cracked the case since returning from kona.) it's definitely a 260tpi 36mm tire and if i'm riding something not tubeless, it's doing pretty well as a tubeless. i'll report back what in fact it is. but if it's not tubeless, i'm not changing anything, because it's been dope so far.

Are the sidewalls tan? (If tan, then Pro...if black, then indeterminate)

Did they lay flat when uninstalled? If yes, then Pro.

Also...are you sure they're 36? Those are only available in Pros. The others are sized 38 and 42.

If they're Pros, then you're running them in a manner the maker specifically says NOT to do. You're risking blow-off and/or burping...and then crashing as a result.

http://www.challengetech.it/...l-grinder-pro-062/en

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
The_Mickstar wrote:

Are the sidewalls tan? (If tan, then Pro...if black, then indeterminate)

Did they lay flat when uninstalled? If yes, then Pro.

Also...are you sure they're 36? Those are only available in Pros. The others are sized 38 and 42.

If they're Pros, then you're running them in a manner the maker specifically says NOT to do. You're risking blow-off and/or burping...and then crashing as a result.

http://www.challengetech.it/...l-grinder-pro-062/en

they're tan. they're 36mm. they're 260tpi. and they're great.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I agree they're great...and with a latex tube inside of them, one isn't going against the manufacturer warnings, and with no practical downside as opposed to running them tubeless IME.

But...it's your skin and teeth you're risking by running them tubeless...so who am I to judge?

Heck, depending on the results of my testing of the TLRs, I might just try my Pros set up tubeless as well ;-)

Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 18, 18 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I agree they're great...and with a latex tube inside of them, one isn't going against the manufacturer warnings, and with no practical downside as opposed to running them tubeless IME.

But...it's you're skin and teeth you're risking by running them tubeless...so who am I to judge?

Heck, depending on the results of my testing of the TLRs, I might just try my Pros set up tubeless as well ;-)

i've put these tires through terribly hard riding. with no problems. some really nasty stuff. however, i'll talk to challenge about this and i'll report back what they say.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify: your recommendation of the Pros is what prompted me to buy them (although I haven't yet installed them).

However, after moving to Phoenix I've realized that thorns and tubes don't mix, so I'll likely end up selling the Pros (which, as you note aren't supposed to set up tubeless), converting to tubeless, and buying a set of TLRs.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
Just to clarify: your recommendation of the Pros is what prompted me to buy them (although I haven't yet installed them).

However, after moving to Phoenix I've realized that thorns and tubes don't mix, so I'll likely end up selling the Pros (which, as you note aren't supposed to set up tubeless), converting to tubeless, and buying a set of TLRs.

Well...here's another thing to know about the Pros...although the casing is relatively thin, Challenge uses TWO puncture layer strips under the tread. That, combined with the ability of latex to "fend off" punctures (especially at lower pressures) means you may not need to resort to sealant...or, you could just put sealant in the latex tubes.

Their TLR model, on the other hand uses a vulcanized, 120tpi casing, BUT they eliminated the puncture belts since the assumption is that any punctures that the belts would fend off will be handled by sealant. So, although the casing should be slower (and slightly stiffer), the lack of the puncture belts (which are energy sapping) may mean that the TLRs could possibly roll as well as the Pros. Hopefully I will be able to determine that soon...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with the Challenge Gravel Grinders. Loved the tires. Good for mix of road gravel and trails. After a couple of flats I wanted a tubeless tire which the GG wasn’t out yet so switched to the Maxxis Rambler which is tubeless. I prefer the Maxxis over the Challenge GG.....little better overall grip. Light enough, good traction and so far no flats so it’s tops on my list right now. Over on the Gravel forum the Rambler gets high reviews. http://ridinggravel.forumchitchat.com/?forum=494958

https://www.maxxis.com/...log/tire-512-rambler
Last edited by: MKirk: Oct 19, 18 5:58
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d second the Rambler as a great all-around tire for grip, puncture resistance and rolling fairly well. Though for lighter duty the G-One is pretty tough to beat if grip is less important. Know a few guys rolling the 40c Maxxis Re-Fuse who all say good things about how it rides but will have the least grip.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have really liked the Clement X'Plor USH. It's basically like a file tread tire but with the raised center that rolls like a road tire over hardpack. I've taken it on single track in the mud and gotten surprisingly good traction out of the little chevron knobs.

I think the purpose of it is to be a "mixed conditions" tire (e.g., going from road to gravel to back to road) with a primary focus that is not competition. But, over hard pack or kitty litter gravel (as long as it's not too deep) it's a pretty fast option. I think 35 is the only size it comes in.

Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devolikewhoa83 wrote:
I have really liked the Clement X'Plor USH. It's basically like a file tread tire but with the raised center that rolls like a road tire over hardpack. I've taken it on single track in the mud and gotten surprisingly good traction out of the little chevron knobs.

I think the purpose of it is to be a "mixed conditions" tire (e.g., going from road to gravel to back to road) with a primary focus that is not competition. But, over hard pack or kitty litter gravel (as long as it's not too deep) it's a pretty fast option. I think 35 is the only size it comes in.

x2

I like this tire as well. It is now sold as Donnelly X'Plor USH. It comes in a 35mm or a 40mm option. Tubeless as well.

It works well for me because I need to ride 2-3 miles from my house before I hit gravel then I jump a lot between road and gravel. Plus I can take it on a complete road ride without worrying about wearing the treads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not just run a G -One All around on the front instead of the Bite?

USH, while a great tire, is not as fast at the Scwalbes in my experience.

No experience with the Gravel Kings.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel tire recommendations needed... [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m enjoying my WTB Nano 40s a lot. Tan sidewall looks great also.
Quote Reply

Prev Next