Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel bike use
Quote | Reply
For those of you who do some gravel riding. How often do you use your gravel rig during triathlon season for training rides? Pro’s and con’s?
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike use [mpd309] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mostly every weekend cuz long rides are much more fun that way

I find the steady state power required to ride gravel well matches perfectly with TT riding.
I ride my TT bike during the week for shorter rides.
And if I'm doing long course I get out for 2-3 longer TT rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly, since taking up gravel riding (assuming I did not start it when I was 12 and refused to stay on the road with my road bike), I have nearly lost interest in triathlon. Why? Because gravel courses get me excited with tons of climbing and an element of craziness that never existed in tri. Plus, I really hate swimming, but that is not really relevant. I have not touched my tri bike since my last race in September, but I have been riding both my gravel machines (one is effectively a drop-bar mtb with suspension for exploring and the other is a converted hybrid with 40mm tires for rides that include more pavement) all winter long, to include a few mountain rides that included snow and slush.

So I guess the short answer is, pretty much every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost never. For me gravel is an Oct through Apr activity. Hot dusty gravel doesn't really appeal to me, summer is spent on the roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride my gravel bike with gravel tires on almost all of my road rides (group rides or solo). I like the idea of having to work a little bit harder than everyone else in the group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's become main bike for solo outdoor rides, even when mostly or entirely paved. I still ride my road bike a fair amount, but usually only in groups. Tri bike is on the trainer most of the time outside of races.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike use [mjp202] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjp202 wrote:
It's become main bike for solo outdoor rides, even when mostly or entirely paved. I still ride my road bike a fair amount, but usually only in groups. Tri bike is on the trainer most of the time outside of races.

Same for me, but I also ride the gravel bike on group rides b/c it's new ... and gives me an excuse when the roadies drop me. Tri bike comes off the trainer race week only

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The gravel rig is getting a majority of the miles because I'm temporarily without a road bike. My Tri season is coming up soon here (April-Sept) but I still plan to do a majority of my rides with the gravel bike...maybe even some fondos because with 650b it's like riding a couch.

TriBike - Race and positioning/fit/aero testing rides
RoadBike - Fast group rides and Races
GravelBike- everything else.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Feb 19, 19 13:30
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Gravel bike use [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this depends on how much snow you are talking about, but I will generalize that you will enjoy and feel more confident on the fat bike in snow more than a gravel bike. I have both types, I have loved riding the fat bike in the winter but know that as soon as the conditions are decent for the gravel bike that the fattie will go take a nap and the gravel rig will get a heavy dose of use. So to answer your question...I think most people would ride a gravel bike more, but that a fat bike is such a great fit for a portion of the year and certain conditions. Buy both, enjoy your life.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike use [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m about to pull the trigger on the gravel bike. I have a TT bike and a MTN bike. Looking for something to do some gravel and road rides on so I don’t have to take my TT bike on the road every time. Plus the gravel riding around my area is supposedly great. Rural IL/Iowa.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike use [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdw wrote:
Frankly, since taking up gravel riding (assuming I did not start it when I was 12 and refused to stay on the road with my road bike), I have nearly lost interest in triathlon. Why? Because gravel courses get me excited with tons of climbing and an element of craziness that never existed in tri. Plus, I really hate swimming, but that is not really relevant. I have not touched my tri bike since my last race in September, but I have been riding both my gravel machines (one is effectively a drop-bar mtb with suspension for exploring and the other is a converted hybrid with 40mm tires for rides that include more pavement) all winter long, to include a few mountain rides that included snow and slush.

So I guess the short answer is, pretty much every day.

Ditto this except swap out running for swimming. I have a few aquabikes on the schedule this year but nothing serious like an IM... just a few local races to keep my toe in the Multisport world. Everything else has switched to gravel and soon my mountain bike (wife gave me a blank check for my 40th). I picked up a new Salsa Warbird last fall and have thousands of miles on it already. I have some huge gravel races on the calendar this year and am far more excited about those than I have been about anything in triathlon, with the possible exception of my first IM. I love the freedom of going for an adventure on my bike, racing 225 miles in one day through an area that sees more bears than people, and just hanging out with my friends and riding. Triathlon was so serious and staring at the ground in front of my bike for 6 hours on a solo training ride gets old.

I don’t think my Tri bike is even put together. That reminds me, I should probably try to find the clamp to my seatpost.

With that said, I am looking at putting on a gravel Tri next year. Unfortunately the idea came to fruition a little too late to get it on the calendar this year, but we have a couple of locations scouted, a name, and have narrowed it down to a few dates as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel bike use [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gravel Tri sounds awesome. If you’d like you can PM me some details.
Quote Reply