Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Tires: What determines max tire width?
Quote | Reply
I have a Lauf Seigla frameset coming my way and I'd like to try a few sizes of tires that are greater than 700x40 that I wasn't able to fit before.
In looking at different manufacturers, similar rim inner widths get different recommendations. Then there's of course the ETRTO size chart.

Example:
Zipp 303s = 23mm inner width - Max tire size 50mm
DT Swiss GR 1400 = 24mm~ inner width - Max tire recommendation is 40mm
Reserve 40/44 = 25mm inner width - Website recommendation is 40mm, but several review publications say up to 45mm.

Additionally the ETRTO (maybe I'm adding letters), has a chart there all of the above should be able to handle around 50mm

I'm not advocating for disregarding manufacturer recommendation, just curious if there's other factors I'm missing.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: What determines max tire width? [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your frame and fork are the determining factors on how large of a tire you can use.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: What determines max tire width? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Your frame and fork are the determining factors on how large of a tire you can use.
and some times it is not obvious what part will determine the max width, I have noted that though my rear stays are wide enough that distance from the top of the tire to the seat tube was not as great so that limited the tire size, also if you have a bolt on front derailler the clamp may further impact the distance and size of tire. It is a tough question to know the exact answer as I found out. Similar issues can appear on the fork, it can be wide enough but not high enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes of course.
The Seigla has a 57mm tire clearance

I mean besides this hard-set limiter. I'm trying to figure out what my next wheelset should be but also know a bit more of the reasoning behind the stark difference in manufacturer limit recommendation.

jimatbeyond wrote:
Your frame and fork
are the determining factors on how large of a tire you can use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I think he's asking what's the basis for wheel manufacturers specifying a maximum tire size for a given rim. E.g. are there legitimate safety or performance reasons that they do that for? I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: What determines max tire width? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

I think he's asking what's the basis for wheel manufacturers specifying a maximum tire size for a given rim. E.g. are there legitimate safety or performance reasons that they do that for? I don't know.

I have been told that one issue is that a too-wide tire may lose stability when cornering.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Tires: What determines max tire width? [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the old days, we would put a 2.5 inch wide tire on a 19mm outside width rim and call it good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
In the old days, we would put a 2.5 inch wide tire on a 19mm outside width rim and call it good.

Remember cutting down the old Trek Matrix road rims to build mtb wheels. Worked out okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the general rule of thumb these days is you'd want your tire to be no more than 2x the inner width, otherwise you start to get the "lightbulb" effect. No safety issue I'm aware of, just slightly compromised handling when leaning the bike over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something else to consider is clearance when the tires is full of mud.
Debris caught in the tire can also “catch” on the downtube and be forced into the tire causing a flat.
Quote Reply