Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Grand Canyon trail run- Rim to Rim??
Quote | Reply
Anyone hear or know about a trail run in the Grand Canyon?? If so, can you share some info about it. Thanks in advance.

M
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Canyon trail run- Rim to Rim?? [Micky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there are any rules that say you can't run on the trails. The main corridor trail is the Bright Angel Trail. It goes rim to rim There are some other corridor trails from the south rim like the South Kaibab that would work. I'm going from memory but I think it is about 20 -23 miles across depending on the trails you pick. It's about 5000' vertical from the south rim to the river and 6 or 7 thousand up to the north rim. If you have somebody drive around to pick you up it's about a 4 or 5 hour drive. You can find out about applying for a back country permit on the park service web site or grandcanyon.org has a link and other info. It's an awesome place and running it would be a challenge although I think it would be like chuging a $500 bottle of wine. Walking through and trying to take in as much as possible makes more sense to me unless you've already walked it, but that's just my opinion. I saw people in there going rim to river and back with just a fanny pack and camel back. You have to apply for the permits four months in advance so if you apply now it will be June and very very hot in the canyon.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Canyon trail run- Rim to Rim?? [paul k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he is wondering about an "organized" race that goes rim to rim. I have heard of it - don't know if it still exist? Seems like it was called "rim to rim". I put it in my brain as a "gotta do it someday" kind of deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Anyone hear or know about a trail run in the Grand Canyon?? If so, can you share some info about it. Thanks in advance. M[/reply]

A quick google search pulls up this page:
http://homestead.juno.com/beyondedge2/index.html

but no other information. It sounds like the run isn't held anymore, but if someone can find out some more information I would be interested.

Cheers,
dt.
Quote Reply
Re: Grand Canyon trail run- Rim to Rim?? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't have any firsthand experience but there was a feature on six fairly epic trail runs in issue eighteen of Trail Runner. The website http://www.trailrunnermag.com has a snippet from the article if you follow the 'features' link. Should be more information in the print edition.

The people at Ultimate Direction might be able to put you in touch with Dana Miller who crossed the canyon four times in 20hours:

http://www.ultimatedirection.com/testing.html#grandcanyon

Hope this is some help,

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard of people running "rim-to-rim". Although, it is pretty arduous and logistically you would need someone to pick you up whereever you finish off( south or north side). Too tough for me. On my last trip to the Grand Canyon, I went for a 10 mile run along the South Rim at sunrise. Awesome!! Perhaps the most beautiful run that I have ever been on and I have run in some pretty exotic places over the years.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run the Grand Canyon rim to rim several times (some people run rim to rim to rim and beyond) - it is absolutely awesome, especially in the fall. There used to be several private, loosely organized runs, but about 9 years ago the National Parks Service cracked down on "organized" runs. Individuals stills do the run, but the rangers greatly frown upon it! If you do it, plan it officially as a "day hike" with that type of permit, if needed (it used to be that you didn't need a permit for a day hike) and then just run it instead of "hiking". The run is basically a steep marathon in distance. The main concern of the rangers is rescuing an injured or ill prepared runner (for various reasons runners. hikers, and rafters die there every year) - or having an unofficial "events" in the park. Whatever you do, don't advertise in any form, don't print up t-shirts, or announce your intentions to run the Grand Canyon. Nine years ago I was arrested, held, heavily fined, and was the subjected of a multi thousand dollar ranger led sting operation to put a stop to Grand Canyon (and other National Parks) runs - in my case just a privately put together run with a group of friends.
Quote Reply