Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gordo Byrn interview
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone, I had an interview with IM author, coach, and pro-Gordo Byrn. Hope you enjoy. Cheers.

--
Interview with Gordo Byrn
Interview with Peter Reid
Interview with Tim & Nicole Deboom
Interview with Clas Bjorling
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo Byrn interview [cervelodude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was well done...

He really took some time in answering those questions. I really like the fact that he's a living example of how somebody can go from having very little to no endurance background... All the way to becoming a top tier Ironman elite (even starting at 30!)

Great advice on his part about getting an extra hour of sleep. I really have to start implementing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent. Thank you!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well done. Bravo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great interview... the most sticking idea in my head after reading it was #6:

"Not many folks are able to put the whole package together week-after-week. Training, nutrition, stretching, massage… relative to others, I do that quite well. Always have- and in all fields. In most fields, achievement is linked more to sustained process management than innate talent or ability. That’s a message that folks don’t always want to hear – at first it’s liberating to think that the choices that we make will be the primary determinant of our results. However, the flip side is personal responsibility for our life situation. Not everyone is ready to accept that fact – watch any discussion on 'nutrition' to see this in action. The only thing we truly own is our body."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree w/ the previous poster on this quote from the interview:

"In most fields, achievement is linked more to sustained process management than innate talent or ability."

I'm still digesting Gorgo's context of the quote, but I think he's saying there's no 'silver bullet' in Ironman racing and due diligence and continued focus on hard work will help you win.

This guy is the poster child for all of us that focused on career immediately after college and subsequently, became fat bastards, then finally 'seeing the light' and focusing on the benefits of triathon and personal wellness.
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo Byrn interview [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a great interview. Big time. I love the way Gordo will take the time and give detailed descriptions and answers on the questions asked. I can't stand 2 or 3 sentence answers some of the pros give.
Thanks to the both of you!
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo Byrn interview [TnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree. it seems like so many Triathletes (including elite age groupers) feel they have to be so secretive about their workouts. People in this sport need to be more sharing about what works for them and we all need to be less critical about their sharing and understand that different things work for different people, priorities, and body styles. There is something to gain from everyone's success stories. The wisdom comes in knowing yourself and filtering out what will and will not work for you personally.
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo Byrn interview [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, I think that there is an urge to way over think the training. It's really quite simple and the best line that Gordo has added to the lexicon in my mind is JFT - Just $%&*ing Train. Too many people worry about this or that. Just get out the door and put in the time. It's the simplicity of it all that I think really trips people up. Also know that, as you pointed out, there really is no silver bullet and that it takes time, a long time, like years of time, to really see substantial changes in performance. This of course runs counter to our current culture of getting everyting we want now! REAL sustainable and substantial growth, weather it's personal, athletic, financial or career, takes time - lot's of time. Be patient. Be consistant.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great interview!

Gordo has been such an inspiration to me. He really helped clear so much triathlon related "clutter " from my thinking that I'm now able to enjoy the sport on a much deeper level. He's the man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done CDude!

I've been a fan of Gordo for a while.
And he's been very gracious with his time when I've asked for advise.
I'm hoping to be a future Epic camp alumni. CC ,NZ sounds so good about now.

That pic of him on the boat cracks me up!!!
That was me 13 yrs ago..except my pic would have shown a Camel un-filtered hangin on my lips.

Money can buy you everything in life ...Ferraris,Yachts, Diamonds, Crack ,beach front homes...BUT it won't buy you fitness and health.

The only currency accepted is sweat..

Hey G-

If you're reading this thread..I'm rooting for you big time when you toe up w/ Cameron B.
Don't make it too easy for him.
Here's to 300w for 5 hrs!

Fish

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gordo rides a Trek TTT?

Good interview, by the way. I've enjoyed all of your interviews so far in fact. Keep it up.

-------
Andrew

"When will i learn, people do not want to hurt but will spend $500.00 bucks to go four seconds faster." - randall t
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo Byrn interview [zoomy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Lance rides, Gordo rides it or at least has tried it. :)

This was a fantastic interview. The questions were well thought out and Gordo's responses were enlightening to say the least. Keep up the good work.

PS Nurture was misspelled in the quote about Monica
Quote Reply
Re: Gordo Byrn interview [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic interviews . Well done and thank you for sharing !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply