Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Good Book recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm on a non-fiction book binge....and am interested in good sporting bios or memoirs. What ones in the cycling or tri world fall into good reads on this front? suggestions please (and thanks in advance)!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Good Book recommendations [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon
Ironwar - Dave Scott vs Mark Allen at the 1989 Ironman

Running
The Perfect Mile - follows the story of three runners trying to be the first human to run a sub-4 mile (Bannister, Landy, Santee)
Running with the Buffalos - following the University of Colorado 1998 cross country team
Born to Run - Chris McDougal's journey to become an injury free runner leads him to the hidden tribe of super runers and a secret ultra marathon race in Mexico

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really enjoyed The Secret Race
Quote Reply
Re: Good Book recommendations [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randomtriguy wrote:
Really enjoyed The Secret Race

I agree here. Thought Hamilton's book and insights were quite good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She Dog by Phil Knight was a pretty good read.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed Finding Ultra by Rich Roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great recommendations already.

I just read “Incomplete Guide to Running” by Peter Sagal. Really enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The book that got me interested in cycling in the first place is French Revolutions by Tim Moore, in which he cycles the route of the Tour. It's about his own travails, with a lot of cycling history, and is laugh-out-loud funny throughout. Really well-written, too. His follow-up, Gironimo, sees him cycling a prewar Giro on a prewar bike. Equally funny.

Racing Through the Dark by David Millar is the most candid cycling autobiography I've come across, with little in the way of excuses for his past actions.

I haven't read it yet, but Life and Death by Bridie O'Donnell is supposed to be a good read, with an unvarnished look at women's cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Major Taylor, story of an American champion cyclist in the late 1800’s
Road to Valour, story about TDF champion Gino Bartali and his activities during WWII
Last edited by: Pettrifier: Aug 9, 19 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither cycling nor tri specifically, but enjoyed meb's 26 marathons. An insightful and light read!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Reilly’s Finding My Voice. The audiobook is excellent as Mike himself is the narrator. This one has a lot of inspirational stories.

Life’s too short to go so f*ing slow. Great story about friendship and triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This Road I Ride by Juliana Buhring (The story of Julaina's 'Round the World ride)

The Man Who Cycled The World by Mark Beaumont ( Same thing for Mark)

Overlander by cycling journalist Rupert Guinness (Rupert's story of his Indian Pacific Wheel Race ride)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running to the Edge by Matthew Futterman
The story of UCLA distance coach Bob Larsen and his athletes, including the Jamul Toads. I won't spoil it. There is a fair bit of training talk as well. It's new and well done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:
I'm on a non-fiction book binge....and am interested in good sporting bios or memoirs. What ones in the cycling or tri world fall into good reads on this front? suggestions please (and thanks in advance)!!!
We Were Young and Carefree by Laurent Fignon. Super. Wish my French was good enough for the original.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Good Book recommendations [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Into the Furnace by Cory Reese. The story of his Badwater race, Death Valley history, and the original competitors. It's a well written book by a Hurakin local who also puts on a half where you have to stop and eat donuts. Fast Cory.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Good Book recommendations [StaffanS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah Dog in a Hat is a great read

Michael Hutchinson UK based cyclist (mainly TT) is a good author
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheelmen is an excellent book to dive into Lance cycling pro racing doping story !
Very interesting book and very well documented.
DescriptionWheelmen: Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France, and the Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever is a non-fiction book about American cycling and Lance Armstrong, as well as his teammates including Floyd Landis. The book was released in the U.S. and Canada by Gotham Books on October 15, 2013, in the UK by Headline Publishing.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Good Book recommendations [Hutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've read and really liked many of the books already mentioned above. I have some that I have liked that are tangentially related to what you were asking for that I have really liked:

North, by Scott Jurek - about his attempt to break the record for running the Appalachian Trail

Natural Born Heroes: How a Daring Band of Misfits Mastered the Lost Secrets of Strength and Endurance, by Christopher McDougal (who also wrote Born to Run) - One of my favorite books, but blends body control, no carb diets, efficient running, parkour, and also a bit of Historical fact based Fiction with Rebel fighters on Crete during WW2... It's kind of two books blended into one, but he does it well.

Boys in the Boat, by Daniel James Brown - A group of ragtag Americans and their quest for gold in the 1936 Berlin Olympics

The Rise of Superman: Decoding the Science of Ultimate Human Performance, by Steven Kotler - Mostly about the Flow state and how it has helped the recent generation of extreme sports (Somewhat relevant for triathlon because I feel like I get into this Flow state while descending big gnarly downhills on my bike...)

The Long Run, by Chris Long - A NY City Firefighter's journey back to attempt Marathon and then an Ironman after a tragic accident where he was blindsided by a bus and should have died given his injuries and blood loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running with buffs
Tim krabbe
Gold in the water which is amazing
Once a runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a book called “running with the legends”. 20 or so bios of the best runners in history. It is cool, lot’s of hard knocks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some excellent suggestions already, I loved The Boys in the Boat as well as The Perfect Mile. I'll add Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox and Duel in the Sun by Dick Beardsley. Also The Boys of Winter by Wayne Coffey - a great read about the Miracle on Ice game from the 1980 Winter Olympics.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Good Book recommendations [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feet in the clouds. A good tale of the real hardmen of British running.

https://www.amazon.com/...wdb_t1_dHKtDbPCP2K2N

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the Anquetil biography by Paul Howard, “Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape”.

If you’re entertained by these books for more than the sporty stuff, this should be #1 on your list
Quote Reply

Prev Next