Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going against the grain....
Quote | Reply
Does anyone still train on tubulars?

I've got a line on some Zipp 303 Pave' wheels. They seem great in theory, and the only time I've ever really flatted with clinchers was when I shredded the tire anyways.

Just wondering just how dumb of a move this would be?

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Going against the grain.... [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train on my 303 tubies on my road bike. I blew out a tire bad a little bit ago and had to call for a ride home. It was really no big deal as the hole in the tire was massive and it oulss not have been fixable even if it were a clincher. Now I have a spare tire I throw in my pocket.

While I was waiting on new tires I threw on a set of 404 clinchers with my heavy bomb proof tires, wow, was I ever glad to get my 303's back.

I know it might be more expensive to train on a $70 tire and I'm risking an expensive wheel set in the event of a crash, but honestly I just can't see owning these nice things without using them. I say go for it.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Going against the grain.... [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At some point when making your equipment choices, you need to step back and ask yourself "WHY?"

What do I have to gain by making this choice? What to I stand to lose?

You're the only one who can answer that question. Enjoy your bike, if that means using tubies, fucking go for it! I hate dealing with flats so I run clincher 28's with tuffies inside and sealant in the tubes.

Guy I ride with takes it one step further and runs a cyclocross tire. Inside as a liner he uses an old tire with the bead cut off.

Downhill riders are using 24" tubes split down the middle stretched over their 26" rim and wrapped over the edge as a tubeless option instead of the heavy tubeless OTC gear.

Use what works for you and makes you happy, fuck everyone else.
Last edited by: meat~puppet: Sep 2, 08 9:09
Quote Reply