Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Goggle marks around eyes
Quote | Reply
I swim in the morning, and show up to the office with ridiculous goggle marks around my eyes. Does anyone have any tips for how to make them go away faster? Is it reasonable to try to find goggles where there are no marks at all?

I've tried a several pair of goggles, and maybe I have a weird shaped face or bruise easily, but they all leave marks (or leak if I don't fasten them down tight).

I'm currently wearing Roka R1s and love them, except for the marks they leave around my eyeballs.
Last edited by: wintershade: Mar 18, 19 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally just have to embrace it.

I use Speedo vanquishers, and the marks stay for around 30-45 mins after a swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also use Vanquisher 2's, and these have less effect on circles than others that I have used. I did not expect it since the Vanquishers are inside eye fitting, but they actually do better with regards to circles. As mentioned above, about 45 min to an hour then for the most part, they are gone. But its really more of a vanity thing, since no one really cares or notices them. We always see more circles in the mirror than a friend or client will see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear glasses at work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No goggle marks for me but no matter what hat or visor I wear during my lunch time runs I get a red line across my forehead. I get some strange looks if I’ve got a meeting immediately after lunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I swim in the morning, and show up to the office with ridiculous goggle marks around my eyes. Does anyone have any tips for how to make them go away faster? Is it reasonable to try to find goggles where there are no marks at all?

I've tried a several pair of goggles, and maybe I have a weird shaped face or bruise easily, but they all leave marks (or leak if I don't fasten them down tight).

I'm currently wearing Roka R1s and love them, except for the marks they leave around my eyeballs.

First of all, why do you care? is your job some fancy place where showing anything but perfection 24/7 is frowned upon? Other just roll with it, everyone know you have been training at least ;)

But to try and answer the question: My guess would be that goggle with bigger surface attachment area gives less marks? I have no data on it, but a goggle like the aqua sphere vista would maybe be a good guess?
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2, comes in handy when I'm sneaking a swim in cuz the opportunity arose. Bottom edge of glasses blend perfectly with the goggle marks on the cheeks.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moisturizing cream around the eyes before and after the swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, I think it's my deep eye sockets. The best goggles I found were Tyr Special Ops 2.0 - they have a really soft silicone gasket that didn't leave much of a ring around my eyes. Unfortunately I had issues with the plastic strap buckle things breaking on every pair, so I finally gave up and switched to Roka F2's. They do occasionally give me rings but overall I'm really happy with them.

One other thing that seems to help is to take my goggle off frequently, like every couple intervals.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
First of all, why do you care? is your job some fancy place where showing anything but perfection 24/7 is frowned upon? Other just roll with it, everyone know you have been training at least ;)

I personally don't care. But I do work at a fancy hedge fund where I am expected to look put together when meeting with LPs and management teams. I can sometimes rub off the occasional joke ("man.... long night dude?") with a "sorry it looks like I just got my ass kicked, I tried out some new goggles while Ironman swim training this morning" and turn it into a conversation about being a badass triathlete. But generally speaking, I don't want people to know how much or when I train.

Bib02 wrote:
Moisturizing cream around the eyes before and after the swim

I'll give this a try and report back.
Last edited by: wintershade: Mar 19, 19 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This goes on your skin around your eyes to take away the marks.

The Barracuda goggle is what I use to solve the problem permanently. Don't dive (too loose fitting) or race in them (too slow), but the foam gasket solves the problem of goggle marks.

You're welcome ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Mar 19, 19 10:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My workout goggle is Zoggs BMT 3.0. They are a little big but are comfy, seal great, and have excellent forward vision. I have to switch to my race googles a few days before racing to get used to less forward vision.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/...rame-goggle-8150899/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my experience the lines are not so much from the goggle itself as much as it is from the swelling of the soft tissue around your eyes from the suction of the goggles. Loosening up on the goggle straps and not pressing the goggles on to your face are methods that I find to work best.

A larger socket goggle or mask can help as they sit around the eye on the bone mostly rather than on the soft tissue around your eye.

For me if it happens, it goes away fairly quickly.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Swedes. I don’t look for them specifically, but I don’t recall ever getting goggle marks

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
My guess would be that goggle with bigger surface attachment area gives less marks? I have no data on it, but a goggle like the aqua sphere vista would maybe be a good guess?

+1. Several models of Aqua Sphere have solved the goggle-eye problem for me.

I tried the Barracudas, which someone else mentioned, and found they didn't seal well.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
lassekk wrote:
My guess would be that goggle with bigger surface attachment area gives less marks? I have no data on it, but a goggle like the aqua sphere vista would maybe be a good guess?

+1. Several models of Aqua Sphere have solved the goggle-eye problem for me.

+2 Aqua Sphere solved the problem for my old face..
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winner

this thread is D-U-N

Personally i wouldn't worry about what other people think about you or your time. The more you own this as a part of you the more people respect it. And if someone is offended by how you look, they can go fuck themselves... no matter their title or wealth.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goggle marks should be a badge of honor. Sorta like a watch or bike shorts tan, but less permanent (though temporarily more obvious). Much less personally debilitating and obvious than the day-after-long-run shuffle.

Embrace the lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Wear glasses at work

Wear goggles at work, no one will notice the marks behind your goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once again, truly a 1% first world problem...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your smart to hide how much you train. I read somewhere a boss thought triathlon/marathon folks were distracted by their goals.

Found this review on Youtube. This lady likes the aquaspheres https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5t6QBhAO7o

Do you have these big meetings every day? If they are infrequent, maybe you could skip the swim that morning? Maybe you could swim at night those days? Maybe just do that for super duper important meetings? Hopefully you find a solution in the other ideas. I have infrequent client meetings and try to be put together for those.

Best of luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What worked for me was to wear a cap, and wear the goggles with the straps UNDER the cap. That way, I do not have to fasten the straps too tight, and this eliminates the goggle lines caused by the pressure against the face.
Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle marks around eyes [laughingfarmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that read that as Google marks at first glance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Every Man Jack eye cream to help relieve the goggle imprints and also use it in the mornings after a restless night sleep to diminish bags under my eyes.

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aqua Spheres. Get the Kaiman or Kamelion; they have super soft gaskets and stretchy silicone frames (unlike say the Kaiman XOs). They seal well with very little strap pressure compared to a goggle like the Vanquisher.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply

Prev Next