Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Goggle Help Needed... thanks
Quote | Reply
I've tried numerous goggles over the past year or so, and I'm really struggling with a few problems. I'd love to hear what people do to beat these issues. I'm currently wearing Aquasphere Kaimans and have a set of Kayennes (these actually hurt my face).

My first issue is that as soon as I swim 25-100 I end up with a small puddle of water in the goggles. Either style. It doesn't seem to increase much over time and it's there pretty quickly.

The second issue is that these things fog up, considerably. I'm a pretty claustrophobic swimmer and need to have a clear field of vision in order to maintain my mental comfort. As soon as I can't see, my heart rate goes up. (It's considerable enough that I find it easier to wear goggles with clear frames.) Not good.

The third issue is that if I really press the goggles into my eyes, my eyelashes hit the lenses, and that can get pretty annoying over the course of 2.4 miles.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a leak-proof, fog-proof goggle with a large gap between the lens and the eye? Or are there some obvious techniques I'm not utilizing here?
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swedes. or speedo speed sockets.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 15, 18 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, Kayenne's are about the only ones that don't leak for me. Did you try both sizes?

For anti-fog, there is always baby shampoo, or spit...
But I started using the following product and it works awesome:

https://www.amazon.ca/...f=pd_sl_61qak8seis_e
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Funny, Kayenne's are about the only ones that don't leak for me. Did you try both sizes?

For anti-fog, there is always baby shampoo, or spit...
But I started using the following product and it works awesome:

https://www.amazon.ca/...f=pd_sl_61qak8seis_e

Interesting, the reviews on that stuff says it works for about 30 min to a hour and then you have to re-apply. Has that been your experience?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm....I think the longest I've used it for is an hour, both in the pool and in the lake, and its been problem free, even on goggles that are over a year old.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Those are only for you pro swimmers! lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are tightening up that much you do not have a good fit. If you overly compress the soft silicone it will deform the seal as the lenses are just seated into it = leak.

I have to wear smalls or women's in the Kaimens because of a narrow face and the flexible one size nose bridge. I would go to a good store with a selection and you should be able to find a goggle that you place and it sucks on and stays for a good bit without the strap. When they fit right you will not need to crank them up. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved my speed sockets. Switched to roka goggles and it was a huge mistake, cant wait for them to die so i can buy another pair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the TYR spec ops? I haven't but i know ive seen them recommended before. I personally second the speed socket recommendation
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had good luck with TYR Socket Rockets. You can adjust tension on the main band and also by tightening the nose bridge to bring the goggles closer together.

I tried a number of top rated / expensive goggles and have settled on these $15 goggles. You can find them on amazon.

As for anti fog. I have a small spray bottle from an old bottle of eye glass cleaner. I rinsed it out and filled it with a few drops of baby shampoo and the rest water. I do a squirt or two in each lense, rinse and then swim. I haven’t had any fogging since.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
If you are tightening up that much you do not have a good fit. If you overly compress the soft silicone it will deform the seal as the lenses are just seated into it = leak.

I have to wear smalls or women's in the Kaimens because of a narrow face and the flexible one size nose bridge. I would go to a good store with a selection and you should be able to find a goggle that you place and it sucks on and stays for a good bit without the strap. When they fit right you will not need to crank them up. Good luck.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip. I guess I've been exacerbating the problem in my effort to fix it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On top of proper fit (i.e., nose bridge, goggle shape), leaks can come from goggle seal be broken by eyebrow hair as well as swim cap (if you wear your strap over your cap and your cap extends to the goggle seal).

As others have said - too tight is not the way to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the TYR Nest Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MWRRV0/ref=twister_B001MWRRW4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As for anti fog, keep your fingers out of your goggles. You don't want any grease/oil in them. If you're going to use spit, use your tongue not your fingers to wipe the inside of the goggle.

Best thing I've found to do is use baby shampoo and a q-tip. Put a dab of baby shampoo in each side, rub around with the q-tip, then rinse thoroughly with water. Then I like to use a soft glasses case or something like that to put them in for travel to keep them from getting contaminated (this is just for the race goggles).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Those are only for you pro swimmers! lol.

yeah, it was partly in jest, but seriously swede-style goggles have pretty good internal volume (I can't wear low profile goggles, but the swedes work well), and are the most "open" goggles you can get since there's no gasket to obstruct vision. Once you get past the fear-factor of the gasketless design, they're amazingly comfortable too. just don't wear them tight, and don't get kicked in the face.

speed sockets have the gasket, but they're secure as hell, and still have reasonable volume

I usually train in the swedes (actually the TYR version of them) and race in the speed sockets.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new speed sockets are pretty sweet. They have a wider peripheral. But if you don't like low profile you probably won't like them. I just got my son a couple pairs of them and one might find it's way into my bag permanently. But if you don't like low profile you might not like them.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still on the originals, have a couple of pairs squirrelled away in case they changed them...

when I say low profile, I'm really talking about fastskins or the arenas, and even some of the "open water" goggles. I tried fastskins and my eyelids were touching the plastic. no thanks....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 15, 18 9:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to swear by swedes & now I love the TYR Black Hawk Racing goggles. Ive used several models of aquasphere & they all suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm still on the originals, have a couple of pairs squirrelled away in case they changed them...

when I say low profile, I'm really talking about fastskins or the arenas, and even some of the "open water" goggles. I tried fastskins and my eyelids were touching the plastic. no thanks....

I like the originals. I buy them in bulk when they are on sale. The 2.0 is in "the fastskin family" which I why I was guessing you wouldn't like. I thought the same thing about speed sockets when I first tried them. Like my eyelashes were brushing against them.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diving wise, I've used the stuff pretty consistently for years up to the 3.5 hour mark with no fogging. Same story with goggles but know that any small water swishing around in either a diving mask or a swimming goggle will gradually lessen the effectiveness.

Add a smaller than bb sized drop on a dry lens, rub around on the inside, quickly dunk in the water and you're good to go. There's a gel version and a spray bottle version in the States; I prefer the former. A full depress of the spray bottle is a bit too much for swim goggles.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
When they fit right you will not need to crank them up.

This is correct. Our goggles are designed to fit without really cranking down on the straps. The tighter you pull the straps, typically that will mean the seal will become less effective. When tightening them down it flattens the gasket and makes a seal hard to achieve.

I also recommend not pressing the lenses on to your face really hard. Light tension on the strap should be enough to hold it on your face.

In the case that the Regular Fit does not work, we offer Small Fit and Ladies Fit (both the same size just different colors). These are 20% smaller than the Regular Fit. The smaller size of the goggle works better for people with smaller facial features.

It is very important to rinse the goggles after every use and keep them in a case (our goggles are sold in a case). This will help to maintain the shape of the goggle and maximize the life of the goggle. There is no prescribed life span of the goggle, but you can improve how long they last by taking these extra steps

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
I used to swear by swedes & now I love the TYR Black Hawk Racing goggles. Ive used several models of aquasphere & they all suck.

Based on wearing Swedes and the Racing Hawk, I don't expect that the Aqua Sphere goggles would be a good selection for you. Have you tried any of our MP Goggles? They are lower profile, competitive style 2 piece goggles as the ones you like. In particular, I would suggest the Chronos to compare to a Swede, and the XCEED or K180 to compare with the Racing Hawk.

There is not a goggle that works for everybody, but we do offer a large range to suit most.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakers wrote:
ktm520 wrote:
When they fit right you will not need to crank them up.

This is correct. Our goggles are designed to fit without really cranking down on the straps. The tighter you pull the straps, typically that will mean the seal will become less effective. When tightening them down it flattens the gasket and makes a seal hard to achieve.

I also recommend not pressing the lenses on to your face really hard. Light tension on the strap should be enough to hold it on your face.

In the case that the Regular Fit does not work, we offer Small Fit and Ladies Fit (both the same size just different colors). These are 20% smaller than the Regular Fit. The smaller size of the goggle works better for people with smaller facial features.

It is very important to rinse the goggles after every use and keep them in a case (our goggles are sold in a case). This will help to maintain the shape of the goggle and maximize the life of the goggle. There is no prescribed life span of the goggle, but you can improve how long they last by taking these extra steps

jake

Thanks Jake. I think that's probably the answer. I have a 7 3/4 head and wear XLs in all types of sunglasses where such things are available, so I don't think smaller is the real fix. I've lately been wrenching these down to the point that the marks are lasting quite a while my swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
island rider wrote:
I've tried numerous goggles over the past year or so, and I'm really struggling with a few problems. I'd love to hear what people do to beat these issues. I'm currently I agree with the suggestion to go to a swim shop and try on different goggles. The winner is the pair that will stay on your face without using the strap.

Also, I am a little confused by the combo of your problems. You have a small amount of water in your goggles and they are fogging up at the same time? One of my in-workout fixes for fogging is to let a little water in and leave it there for the rest of the workout. The fogging is always resolved by the water swishing over the lens. If that is not working for you, maybe you are keeping your head face forward instead of down. I understand this is a goggle question and not a freestyle technique question -- so on the goggle front I would just suggest doing a quick face down each time you start to get some fog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, everyone's face is different, so until someone comes up with a goggle that is infinitely adaptable, nothing will work for everyone.

I've been using the same cheap goggle model for about 30 years. Speedo Sprint. They come in clear and various tints, and have a foam seal (in fact, if the seal breaks from the goggle, I just glue it back on). I use a bungee strap whose loop is separated by a couple of inches on the back of my head, to ensure even pressure of the goggles directly perpendicular to my face. Even after a couple of years, a pair remains clear enough for me to see everything I need to see: wall clock, junk on bottom of pool, anything I need to sight in a triathlon swim, etc.

The fact that this goggle version has been around that long tells me that enough swimmers find it acceptable for Speedo to keep making it. Of course, I've also been using the same bike saddle model for the same time period.

Sometimes simple is better.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Goggle Help Needed... thanks [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use the Speedo Sprint, up through about my sophomore year in college. That was the days of the "classic" Sprint: latex strap, neoprene gasket, flat lens. Then I started using a discontinued Speedo mirror lens goggle for meets and Hind Compy in training and meets. Now, I'm mostly using Malmsten Swedish goggles, but I used a pair of Hind Compy clones (Water Gear Competition I) in an open water session the other day, and those were awesome. The red lens worked well for pre-sunrise and sunrise directly into my eyeballs conditions.

I tried Sprint again a few years ago. The soft silicone gasket and the silicone strap didn't work as well, and the gasket unglued quickly. I guess I could try again, since we have a hot glue gun in the house. Great goggles.

$5-8 goggles. Can't go wrong. Who cares if those fog or you lose them? $40 gets you a two-year supply.
Quote Reply