Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GoPro mounting location -- road bike
Quote | Reply
Going on a long ride and am trying to determine the best location for a GoPro to get some video of long and fast descents. The only catch is that I don't have time for extensive testing.

Any recommendations for low-shake mounting? I'm riding a full carbon frame and deep carbon wheels (alloy stem/bars) so vibrations should be at somewhat of a minimum.

As far as I know the options are:

-Helmet
-Handlebars
-Top tube (against seatpost)?
-other....

Anyone have some knowledge and experience of a good, low shake position?
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro mounting location -- road bike [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is literally shaped like a brick, so you want to keep it out of the wind for aero

mount it right behind your ass

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro mounting location -- road bike [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect! You're right Jack, that would be a great view!

I'm not looking for aero necessarily. I'll probably keep it in my pocket most of the day and clamp it down for certain sections.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my experience has been that you cant mount it on the frame and expect to get a shake free video...if you can, get the vented helmet mount and use that. I took some video with the handlebar mount, you can find them here http://contour.com/users/ollie3856
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I prefer the handlebar mounting using the GoPro kit. But, you do get some shaky video if the terrain is bad. The helmet mount is better, but, I catch my head turning too much for my liking.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went for the handlebar mount. Didn't have much shaking on normal roads, but you sometimes miss the mountains to left or river scene to right etc even with the wide angle lense. Super for capturing fast descents / hairpin turn-ins. The sound was lousy when riding, even if GoPro claims they have invested big $ there. At standstill you can hear any birds in the background, but when moving all I got was the wind rushing by and gearing sounds. Still, great video.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have time to really set it up right and secure it properly on the bike, just go with the helmet mount. It's quick and reliable. GoPro clamps can bend and they can come loose on rough roads in a hurry, so mounting it on the bike should also include zipties, tape, something as a backup.

Just make sure you really understand the settings and know how to use the camera before you get out there or you will likely be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mounted mine on the seatpost, facing backwards once for a group ride and it was funny to see the reactions. Everyone wants to be on your wheel, until you approach the "sprint to the sign" section on the way back to town. NOBODY wants to be seen getting dropped on a video that will circulate to the email list later that night! Never seen some of those guys so motivated to contest the sprint!
Quote Reply