Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gluing tubs for easy removal
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm going onto tubs for the first time, and planning my race day puncture strategy. I've seen a video that says you can leave a small section of the wheel unglued for easy removal of the tyre. Is this safe? Looking for reassurance before I decide to do this. Thanks x
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [Boomwhacker1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubs can be secure, or they can be easy to get off.

I would NEVER leave a section unglued... but ymmv

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you want to move to tubs just when almost everybody else is going the opposite way - either to clinchers because they are just as fast now but easier to manage; or to tubeless because they are also just as fast as tubs with the obvious benefit of fewer punctures.

Pro road cyclists only ride tubs because they can keep moving on tubs for some distance on a flat while waiting for the team car to get to them. They are ridden on the track because a tub will take a very high pressure and a puncture is very rare on the track - but if you do puncture on the track with a tub it is way safer as you have a good chance of surviving the banking on a tub, zero chance on a clincher. Many tracks actually do not allow clinchers for this reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [chgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the new wheels I've bought are tubs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chgrubb wrote:
Why do you want to move to tubs just when almost everybody else is going the opposite way - either to clinchers because they are just as fast now but easier to manage; or to tubeless because they are also just as fast as tubs with the obvious benefit of fewer punctures.

THat's why just about every rider that tried tubeless in Paris-Roubaix this year lost their race to punctures... ;-).

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are tubular more resistance to punctures than tubeless?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally would not go tubeless because it is not puncture proof and comes with lots of hassles. But many people swear by it and it gets more popular every year. Unlike tubulars which are a dying breed.
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Mickison: That's not the point. Every system is fine, none are perfect and all have drawbacks.
Like many (too many) times in this forum, instead of helping the OP for his installation , there are tons of derailed opinions...

Leaving a small part of the wheel unglued is fine for triathlons and road riding in general.

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have done this for 20 plus years without issue. Leave a one inch section directly opposite of the valve stem unglued. Plenty of glue on the rest of the rim. Also I duck tape one of those straight razor blades underneath my seat. If I can't get the tire off with levers I use the razor to cut off the tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems no one really wants to answer your Q. I LOVE tubies and only just made the switch to clinchers due to the switch to disc brakes (and flatted for only the 2nd time in 195 tri's!!). If you were criterium racing I would NEVER leave any portion unglued. However, for triathlon racing I always left 1 inch unglued directly opposite the valve stem. This will give you a starting place to rip it off in case of a puncture. Also, make sure you have a pre-glued, and pre-stretched, spare. The tackiness will give it enough security to get you through the race.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
@Mickison: That's not the point. Every system is fine, none are perfect and all have drawbacks.
Like many (too many) times in this forum, instead of helping the OP for his installation , there are tons of derailed opinions...

Leaving a small part of the wheel unglued is fine for triathlons and road riding in general.

Louis :-)

I agree. I just wanted to understand for myself. I think it’s fine to bring up tubeless to OP as an option but also assist them with their current issue. I know ST can definitely quickly jump to telling people how wrong they are to be doing what they’re doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the lowest rolling resistance, you want to properly glue the tire all the way around the rim.

If you flat, cut across the tire with a razor blade all the way through, stick your finger inside, and peel it off like a snake.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Oct 14, 19 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chgrubb wrote:
I personally would not go tubeless because it is not puncture proof and comes with lots of hassles. But many people swear by it and it gets more popular every year. Unlike tubulars which are a dying breed.
As a person who still rides and loves tubs it was refreshing to see TO also ride them on the weekend and Rohan Dennis ride them at the TT world champs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:

THat's why just about every rider that tried tubeless in Paris-Roubaix this year lost their race to punctures... ;-).

Yeah, but pinch flats on the cobbles. The cobbled classics are the one type of racing where the old tubular craftsmen may stay in business. Tubeless is a vast improvement over tubed clinchers on pinch flats, but still not nearly as good as tubular. And Paris-Roubaix is a flat-fest regardless of what you're riding. It's part of the charm, the sheer luck in who can get through without flatting at a bad time.

The rest of the year in the World Tour tubeless seemed to do pretty well. Particularly in TT.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 14, 19 9:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All my road wheels that are tubs have a very small unglued part opposite the stem - been doing that for many many years and never had an issues.

Now actually glueing on a new tub for my CX - this involves 5 layers including Belgium tape LOL

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I glued tubulars, I did it to be the fastest they could be and didn't concern myself with flatting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:
Because the new wheels I've bought are tubs

Can you return them? Honestly, the only reason the pro circuit was so slow to get off them was because they have an entire crew maintaining their wheels and the one reason to ride a tubular is that you can ride it flat which is crucial in pro tour cycling . Heck I rode a tubular flat for the entire ride back from Galveston turnaround one year because I got tacked at the turnaround. But that was back when there were discernible differences, but now and barring that reason of being able to ride flat, they are no longer a good choice, especially now with tubeless. I got a pair of Specialized Roval CLX/CL 64 I will give you smoking deal on.

If you have to keep the tubs, do what Jim says. Glue tight for best rolling resistance, carry a razor blade and slice the tub upon flatting, insert finger into tub and peel off.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
stick your finger inside, and peel it off like a snake.

I've seen this written before and always have the same kind of reaction. What the !@#$ kind of snakes are you dealing with???

"Cut the tire, grab it, and peel it off" makes total sense
"peel it off like a snake" WHAT?
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is long and tubular shaped, so it looks like a snake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
un-buy them... seriously you need to move AWAY from tubs, not INTO them.
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
For the lowest rolling resistance, you want to properly glue the tire all the way around the rim.

If you flat, cut across the tire with a razor blade all the way through, stick your finger inside, and peel it off like a snake.

yup this. Carry a razor blade. (for tyres not wrists).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boomwhacker1 wrote:
Hi, I'm going onto tubs for the first time, and planning my race day puncture strategy. I've seen a video that says you can leave a small section of the wheel unglued for easy removal of the tyre. Is this safe? Looking for reassurance before I decide to do this. Thanks x
OMG leave it to ST to harrass you rather than just answer your question!

My answer: use Mastik Pro. It's awesome. Every bit as strong and low CRR as Mastik One (I've tested it), and *more* heat resistant, but water soluble. I literally apply it with my bare fingers then just wash them off in the sink. You can remove it with soap and water. (In case you're wondering, it is highly water resistant once cured so no problem riding in the rain, though guessing if you rode it in the rain a lot you'd eventually have to reglue.)
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
Boomwhacker1 wrote:

OMG leave it to ST to harrass you rather than just answer your question!

My answer: use Mastik Pro. It's awesome. Every bit as strong and low CRR as Mastik One (I've tested it), and *more* heat resistant, but water soluble. I literally apply it with my bare fingers then just wash them off in the sink. You can remove it with soap and water. (In case you're wondering, it is highly water resistant once cured so no problem riding in the rain, though guessing if you rode it in the rain a lot you'd eventually have to reglue.)

Yup another one for Mastik Pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does mastik pro leave you enough time to get a clean sidewall and rim if your a bit messy on the installation ?

Cheers,

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Gluing tubs for easy removal [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Does mastik pro leave you enough time to get a clean sidewall and rim if your a bit messy on the installation ?

Cheers,

WD :-)

Yup I just have wet wipes handy
Quote Reply

Prev Next