Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glued my first tubular, went well, but one question...
Quote | Reply
OK I finally took the plunge and glued my tubular tires after many many years of riding only clinchers. They are sitting for their 24 hours of drying right now but everything seemed to go OK. Or at least I guess I will find out when I ride them! Searching this forum gave me many helpful tips and it was not nearly as bad as I had feared it would be.

My one question, I bought my wheels used, and the seller was kind enough to leave the tires on. They look like nice tires, but there is Tufo tape on them, and the tape let go of the rims quite nicely, but it does not want to let go of the tires at all. I tried peeling some of the tape off the tires but it ended up peeling off some of the base tape of the tubular, and it looks like it would require extensive cursing, swearing, and finger blistering to get the old tape off. Do I just need to throw away the old tires? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Glued my first tubular, went well, but one question... [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy some new tires, and use 3M fast tack for the glue. some glues can damage the glue used to glue the "rim strip" (the glueing surface) onto the tubular.
Quote Reply
Re: Glued my first tubular, went well, but one question... [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the suggestion to discard the old tires. I'm not 100% in agreement with the FastTack recommendation. I prefer Continental tire cement.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Glued my first tubular, went well, but one question... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the old tires have a decent bit of life left, you can mail them to www.tirealert.com in FL and have a new base tape sewn on for not too much money. Avoid the temptation to mix glue and tufo tape, it makes a godawful mess when you have to remove it.
Quote Reply
Re: Glued my first tubular, went well, but one question... [gentry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And FastTack can damage the base tape glue too. It has been documented that 3M changed the Fast TAck a while back and it may eat the glue, causing the base tape to seperate.

Quote | Reply
i have heard that 3m can cause the rim tape to come off, in 15 years of glueing tubies, i have never seen this happen. i use vitorria CX and tufo cross tubies and never seen it happen but i suppose someone has. i have used some contis in the past and the rim tape always comes off, regardless of what i glue them with.
Quote Reply
Re: Glued my first tubular, went well, but one question... [gentry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will help you make a decision regarding which glue to use. I use Vittoria Mastik,

http://www2.bsn.de/...rticles/cements.html

http://www.engr.ku.edu/...tl/bicycle/Cusa1.pdf

http://www.engr.ku.edu/...tl/bicycle/Part6.pdf

I would throw those old tires away.

Sergio

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure what wheels you have but Zipp says the fastack is a no no.
Quote Reply