Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glaring lobster glove flaw...
Quote | Reply
Warm? Yes, but there is a fundamental design flaw. After I got cut off by a car today on a ride I was unable to properly flip off the offending driver due to the gloves' lobster-clawlike construction. Tomorrow I'm going back to regular gloves in order that I might clearly register my disdain at offending cars. You'd think a reputable company like Pearl Izumi would've tested for this. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a retrofit/converter?
Quote Reply
Re: Glaring lobster glove flaw... [Monsieur Trois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a viable product liability claim. Contact Deeg of this forum for representation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a used glove - preferably the same style and/or color ... Cut between the fingers on either side of the one you want to use. Keep a "flap" from the back of the old glove. Insert a short piece of PVC into the finger. Stitch or GorillaGlue the assembly to the back of your lobster claw.

When you want to flip someone off, just raise your closed hand.

Glad to help.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know giving a finger to an offending diver is, for many people giving them exactly waht they are expecting/wanting. I think that there are many in this group that seem to thrive on confrontation. If you follow them around for a day, I would not be surprised if the went from confrontation to confrontation, all day long. So, I give them what they are least expecting, a smile and a wave and if they have really been a jerk I note their car and liscence number and then report them to the police when I get home. That will have more impact.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The biggest problem with them (IMHO) is that you can't really use STI shifters with them.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Glaring lobster glove flaw... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, but you should be using Ergos anyway, Tom!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought someone made a "globster?" Basically the pinky & ring fingers were connected like a lobster. And the index & bird fingers were each separate like a glove. Keeps the benefits of better warmth for those two fingers, yet still allow you to tell those a&*hole motorists they're #1. Also easier to work with STI shifters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When encumbered in such a way, one must resort to sitting up, and performing the flip off as such:

Quote Reply
Re: Glaring lobster glove flaw... [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions...I'm off to the Home Despot, err, Depot, for some PVC!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've had the gloves for around 10 years, and have had the same complaint. Although I have calmed down _some_ and don't flip people off as much as I used to.

Anyway, it seems to me that the easiset solution would be to put some sort of visual representation of your middle finger, over where your middle finger actually is. Then you just hold up your first 2 fingers... they'd get the idea. Of course, they'd also figure that you flip people off pretty often, if you've got something built just for that purpose.

Of course, you could always do that european thing where you put your fingertips under your chin, palm facing in, and brush your fingers out. i don't actually know what htat means, though.
-charles
Quote Reply
Re: Glaring lobster glove flaw... [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank You!

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: Glaring lobster glove flaw... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I give discourteous drivers a thumbs down and a head shake. Maybe rude drivers want the bird, maybe they deserve it, but they aren't going to get it from me. And the thumbs down also keeps me from looking like a huge jerk in the event that somebody really passed too close or cut me off out of ignorance.

I still like the glove idea, if that's your thing.
Quote Reply