Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Girohead Fit
Quote | Reply
Retiring my Giro Air Attack Shield helmet. Based on general feedback here, I order the LG P09 and Aerohead (vented).

I race sprints almost exclusively now.

Based on fit and feel the Aerohead wins. However, I am right on the border of small/medium. The small covers my forehead and fits me from a safety perspective, but I'd liken it to a pair of skinny jeans. The medium is comfortable, much faster to put on, but feels (and looks) like a gigantic pumpkin on my head.

Go with the medium or try a different brand altogether?
Quote Reply
Re: Girohead Fit [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Retiring my Giro Air Attack Shield helmet. Based on general feedback here, I order the LG P09 and Aerohead (vented).

Based on fit and feel the Aerohead wins. However, I am right on the border of small/medium. The small covers my forehead and fits me from a safety perspective, but I'd liken it to a pair of skinny jeans. The medium is comfortable, much faster to put on, but feels (and looks) like a gigantic pumpkin on my head.

Bump to try the nighttime crew...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well smaller has to be better and for a sprint you are going to be wearing the helmet for say 30 mins - so without any aero testing I would say stick with the small aerohead. I recently changed out my Bell Javelin for an aerohead and like it. No idea if it’s quicker - but there is less tail sticking up if I put my head down occasionally.

*pretty much every thread on these topics ends up saying if you can’t test then just choose the item you like the look/fit of - so there is that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on how little time you may save with an Aerohead over a sprint I'd get a Vanquish
Quote Reply
Re: Girohead Fit [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Based on how little time you may save with an Aerohead over a sprint I'd get a Vanquish

Is that because it's cooler?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cooler, lighter, more comfortable and most of all an every day use helmet. I just got one and love it having a visor to use on the tri bike every day. Pull the visor off for the road bike and use glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Girohead Fit [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all good points if this is going to be the only helmet you own. In a sprint race I don't personally place comfort above speed - and the margins can be very small so I'm taking advantage of those that I deem economical.
Quote Reply
Re: Girohead Fit [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point was expect very small margins is all. Based on 60 second advantage over an Ironman is being posted the extra seconds getting it on and off will probably be about the advantage you gain over a sprint but that's just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Girohead Fit [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HoustonTri(er) wrote:
Well smaller has to be better and for a sprint you are going to be wearing the helmet for say 30 mins - so without any aero testing I would say stick with the small aerohead. I recently changed out my Bell Javelin for an aerohead and like it. No idea if it’s quicker - but there is less tail sticking up if I put my head down occasionally.

*pretty much every thread on these topics ends up saying if you can’t test then just choose the item you like the look/fit of - so there is that.

That is the opposite idea behind the METS helmet worn by some time trailers in Europe.

They say wind tunnel shows larger helmet reduces drag because the size of the roder’s shoulders behind it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

How much longer can the smaller helmet take to put on?
Quote Reply