Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [tridogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
add iodine to diet ?
Himalayan salt ?
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
Bull Winkle,

dude being 50-80 lbs is UNHEALTHY. Being happy about it is lying to yourself.

We all have different genetic set-points. Some people are just genetically predisposed or have endocrine issues which make being a healthy weight pretty much impossible, but this is a small percentage of the population (she may very well be part of that group). I definitely understand that you should not focus on weight, but if you are 50+lbs. overweight there is no way of getting around it, it is unhealthy. It is the greatest risk factor for a myriad of chronic diseases, period. That, combined with her very stressful occupation and work schedule is a ticking time bomb.

Some people are genuinely perfectly content being overweight, that is great and I wish there were more of that in our society; the individual the OP is speaking of clearly is not and sounds like she wants to get to the bottom of it. If she focuses on the behaviors instead of the results, she'll likely have a better outcome overall - either way, just accepting that she is overweight and not doing anything about it isn't likely to help the situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
Bull Winkle,

dude being 50-80 lbs is UNHEALTHY.

Can you back up the above point by citing research that being over a certain weight will result an individual being unhealthy or that more weight results in a reduced life expectancy???

Bypasskid wrote:
Being happy about it is lying to yourself.

It's sad that there are people who are miserable and depressed because they are constantly trying to hit a certain weight because they listen to people like you judge them. We should we judge people who don't look the photo shopped and air brushed fantasy models in the magazines????

Bypasskid wrote:
you can't be happy about not being able to walk up a flight of stairs.
It happens after I drink too much. But hey, you do have to live a little bit.

Bypasskid wrote:
When was the last time you saw an fat/obese person over 60-65 y/o??? think about it. .

I don't want to think about it. I want to see the actual data from peer reviewed studies that can back up the point you are trying to make. Hint; you might be surprised at the data you find.

end rant.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stop2think wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:

. If she focuses on the behaviors instead of the results, she'll likely have a better outcome overall - either way, just accepting that she is overweight and not doing anything about it isn't likely to help the situation.

Here we go again. We are judging this person's behavior by labeling her as lazy and lacking self control. You are also admitting that her appearance does not meet you standards. Basically, this being judged as lazy and ugly. That's fucked up.

it's interesting that when a triathlete wearing a pointed helmet riding a bike with a compact crank set is not insulted in the way as a big person when asking for help in say going faster. For example, How come I dont hear something like " you lazy fuck, why don't you just put in the effort and get rid of those chicken legs so you won't have to use a compact or why don't you just eat some super food or why are you too cheap to buy a power meter that's not going to help you anyway you lazy ugly triathlete!
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:
Bull Winkle,

Can you back up the above point by citing research that being over a certain weight will result an individual being unhealthy or that more weight results in a reduced life expectancy???

Bypasskid wrote:
Being happy about it is lying to yourself.

It's sad that there are people who are miserable and depressed because they are constantly trying to hit a certain weight because they listen to people like you judge them. We should we judge people who don't look the photo shopped and air brushed fantasy models in the magazines????

Bypasskid wrote:
you can't be happy about not being able to walk up a flight of stairs.
It happens after I drink too much. But hey, you do have to live a little bit.

Bypasskid wrote:
When was the last time you saw an fat/obese person over 60-65 y/o??? think about it. .

I don't want to think about it. I want to see the actual data from peer reviewed studies that can back up the point you are trying to make. Hint; you might be surprised at the data you find.

end rant.
[/quote]
You are going off topic.
No research needed.
Look around and tell me how many old overweight
People you see. I mean not in the hospital
Or nursing homes.

Being tipsy after a couple of drinks is
Not the same as being overweight and
Not being able to walk a block or two.
May I suggest a course in logic?
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [Bull_Winkle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:
Bull Winkle,

Are you saying there is no link between obesity and diseases such as Type 2 Diabetes? Seriously?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
stop2think wrote:
Bypasskid wrote:

. If she focuses on the behaviors instead of the results, she'll likely have a better outcome overall - either way, just accepting that she is overweight and not doing anything about it isn't likely to help the situation.

Here we go again. We are judging this person's behavior by labeling her as lazy and lacking self control. You are also admitting that her appearance does not meet you standards. Basically, this being judged as lazy and ugly. That's fucked up.

it's interesting that when a triathlete wearing a pointed helmet riding a bike with a compact crank set is not insulted in the way as a big person when asking for help in say going faster. For example, How come I dont hear something like " you lazy fuck, why don't you just put in the effort and get rid of those chicken legs so you won't have to use a compact or why don't you just eat some super food or why are you too cheap to buy a power meter that's not going to help you anyway you lazy ugly triathlete!

I never said she was lazy or that her appearance doesn't meet my standard; having never met this individual, I clearly have no clue. I wasn't making a statement to her, I was speaking to your crazy a$$. She's not OK with her weight (based upon statements from the one person here who actually knows her), so you telling her to not listen to others (which there isn't any indication that she is) and to just be happy does nobody any good. There is no indication that there are people (in the real world) making her feel bad about her weight, she wants to find the root issue because she feels bad about it.

And if you would like some EBR about the health risks caused by obesity, should I post a link to my doctoral dissertation? I'm going to assume you didn't mean what I think you meant, nobody is that ignorant (I hope).
Last edited by: stop2think: Nov 19, 14 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

You are going off topic.
No research needed.
Or nursing homes.

what do you define as old and what do define as overweight?

Logic would tell us that we must do research, gather data, perform a statistical analysis of the data and come up with conclusion. When you say "no research needed" you are going off of belief and faith, not science.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Quote:

You are going off topic.
No research needed.
Or nursing homes.

Logic would tell us that we must do research, gather data, perform a statistical analysis of the data and come up with conclusion. When you say "no research needed" you are going off of belief and faith, not science.

Your explanation of the scientific method doesn't change your ridiculous statement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bull_Winkle wrote:
Quote:

You are going off topic.
No research needed.
Or nursing homes.

Logic would tell us that we must do research, gather data, perform a statistical analysis of the data and come up with conclusion. When you say "no research needed" you are going off of belief and faith, not
science.

Never argue with a fool. They will
Drag you down and beat you with experience. -- mark twain

I feel like I'm arguing with a 4 year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote Bull_Winkle
It's sad that there are people who are miserable and depressed because they are constantly trying to hit a certain weight because they listen to people like you judge them. We should we judge people who don't look the photo shopped and air brushed fantasy models in the magazines????[/quote]
Here's a crazy thought:
Perhaps these people are feeling miserable and depressed because of the 'side-effects' of their weight? For example, not being able to put on your shoes? Not being able to walk a flight of stairs without going out of breath? Not being able to play with their kids? To enjoy the outdoors because they can hardly walk?

It's my N=1, but I lost weight because I had problems with how I felt and what I could not do because of what I did to myself, not because what other people thought or said.

And FWIW, we're talking about a healthy weight, not photoshopped fantasy models.
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
I so wish it were just as easy as a lot of the jackass people on here (mostly male) think it is.

My input - as a chick that...works in a high-stress job, battles anxiety/depression, has a time bomb of a thyroid just waiting to go south, likes eating healthy but doesn't make the extra time/energy for it, doesn't sleep consistently like I should, was a high school swimmer & is highly sensitive to the overarching attitude so prevalent in society today....it's not just as simple as calorie in/calorie out. Sure, that may be a great math equation, but when you take the real life scenario of being a wife, a mother, a physician and add that to being a woman with variable hormones & only 24hrs in a day....the equation takes on a lot more variables.

Shaming her & calling her fat - which I'm assuming you wouldn't actually do - isn't the answer.
Simply telling her to move more isn't the answer.
Telling her she's lying to herself sure as hell isn't the answer.
Telling her to go see any number of doctors - mental, physical, accredited or not - isn't the answer.
There's no easy answer.

It is possible that the caloric restriction is too much for her body to handle - which can cause downstream effects in how her body processes what she does put into it - chemical, vegetable or animal. It's not just quality...it's not just quantity. My guess is that she eats more calories than she thinks, but maybe not enough of what's necessary for her body to function well.

A huge part of it has to be stress management - your body does really stupid things when all of the systems are routinely stressed and there's no way that hers aren't. Her daily life is going to create symptoms of over-training, the answer isn't going to be adding more stress to the system.

It's not irrational that a physician - between rounds & surgery & labs & more rounds & all the other daily tasks - would walk that much if they're doing both office and surgical work. I wore a fitbit for almost a year & the thing didn't overestimate my steps - it did the opposite & under-measured a lot of my activity. It was really hard for me to fool the thing & get it to over-measure. (an entire ironman - 86,400 "steps"...not so much)

For reference:
I eat somewhat reasonably, most of the time...and my weight maintains.
I eat like hell for awhile & don't work out....my weight maintains.
I add in a high cardio, high training load....my weight maintains.
I add in some weight training with some cardio...my weight maintains.
Through all this it will shift around maybe 3-5lbs (which can also happen within 2 days in my world) but I've been in the same "range" of 5-8lbs for about 10yrs now - the only significant drops were right before an IM combined with 4Q stress & right after significant dental work combined with a high swim volume.

I know what I have to change to make that scale move. I know how to get it done & I know that, right now, in this season of my life, I cannot put that much work in.
Is that sad? Yes.
Do I know what that does to my own health (& my race results)? Yes.
Do I have the power to make the adjustments & changes to be where I want to be? Yes
Is that me being realistic with the the energy & emotion & effort that I have to spare in my universe right.this.moment? Yes.
Is that ok? hell yes.

The answer is going to be a long-term effort that doesn't involve drastic changes & does involve managing what can be managed. It has to start emotionally & mentally & then work in with the physical changes. It cannot be just to lose weight or the rebound will happen again. Any changes have to be sustainable, realistic and gradual. Mostly she needs support and kindness. She'll have to own where she is now - both the why & the how, without shaming herself or allowing anyone else to shame her - and then she can start to move forward. But she has to let herself off the hook & really assess where she wants to be and why. Then she can start planning, honestly & realistically, how to get there.

If she wants someone else to help - who knows the crap, who knows the shame, who knows the judgement, who can suggest the little things & listen & all the other crap that comes in handy when you start to look up this big ass mountain & try to figure out how you got to where you are & how you even comprehend where you start to get to where you want to be - feel free to pass along my info. I'm a stranger & sometimes that's ok or even better. But just know that it's an option. PM me if you wanna. I don't make a living doing any of this - I don't give a damn about money - I just know what it's like to be a woman in this world with these same.exact.problems.

Sometimes people just need an outlet.

wow. I'm going to quote your whole post because it bears repeating. wow.

i went from 90kg to 70kg in a few years (still trying for those last 10 :)) and i live a pretty stress-free life so i had no idea of that impact, but i have had days where i ate 3 cookies (those big ones) and LOST weight so go figure.

i wonder too if she is restricting herself so much that she is in starvation mode and also earlier advice to switch up her exercise type/intensity/etc. was a great idea i had forgotten also.

thank you for your post. amazing!

my input to the OP - i "wanted" to lose weight for a LOOOONG time (4 kids, lots of "baby" weight). i mean I was UNHAPPY and did NOT want to look they way I did (though I refused many photos because then the truth could not be hidden). my partner was VERY supportive of whatever weight i wanted to be at. if i was happy fat - no problem. if i was unhappy fat - he'd help. BUT he NEVER made it *his* issue. He never made mention unless I was complaining and then it was just "doesn't matter to me - i love you at any weight"

and then, when the youngest was weaned i had enough. and i started walking. but i was still quite fat. so i started figuring out portion sizes and portion control and oh my goodness i was eating SO MUCH. so i stopped So Much.

and i plateaued at 75kg for a while (like a year?) and then 72 kg for last year and this whole year I've been going up and down around 2 kg of 70kg. and i guess i just haven't been ready to lose those last 10 kg (i suspect i *should* be around 60kg but we'll see at 65) and just recently i've realized i'm ready.

so my guess, OP, is that she just isn't ready yet. she maybe really, really WANTS to be there but IMO it should not be terribly hard to lose 10 lb if you're 50-80 overweight, right? so she likely really *wants* to but maybe she just isn't fed up enough to be ready yet?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Nov 20, 14 6:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2. Be happy with the way you look.

Eureka!!! Now, why didn't she think of that? Who knew it was that simple?

Slowtichers have automatically labed a 35 year old woman as : Lazy, a glutton, undesirable, unwilling to work hard, lacking discipline and stupid

BS. I didn't read any of that in any post. I think you're projecting your own issues onto this thread.

Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a female that took me a long time to figure things out, but I did.

A few points that I had to understand before I was finally able to lose weight and be "skinny"

1. She is probably not being honest with herself about her calories consumed. Only until she is willing to write down everything she eats, will she know her calorie intake. Let me just assume she weighs about 180lbs. To be at 1000 calorie deficit, she would only be eating 800 calories a day. That is assuming she has a "normal" metabolism. Her metabolism may be way lower. Working that much on 800 calories? That just seems not likely. (If she is unwilling to log calorie intake, she probably knows she is not counting all her calories.)

2. I have never never never lost weight by working out. Only by really watching my intake have I ever lost weight. Working out makes me fit and strong and look good, but watching my calories keeps me thin. I don't even get to do a "big workout" (such as 6 hr bike followed by t run) and reward myself with an "unhealthy" or higher calorie meal without consequences.

3. Let's say she eats really well with adequate calorie deficit then she decides to have a day where she eats more, even if it just seems like it is just a little more, she can undo everything she spent all the previous days accomplishing. I used to eat well all week and then have one bad meal that undid the weight loss I had. This did not happen when we were younger but this is a big change as you enter your 30s.

4. Females typically will reward themselves if they workout. Say she does crossfit which was a high intensity workout, she may be thinking she deserves to eat what she wants. I had to learn that after my workouts, I still have to eat healthy and low calorie.

5. She has to stop comparing herself to what other people get to eat. Some of my friends get to eat a lot more food and even unhealthy food and stay small. I had to learn not to be mad about that.

As far as getting her to workout, I do believe it will help physically and mentally, I would recommend low intensity weights and brisk walking to keep intensity low.

I hope this helps as doing each of these helped me. Took a long time to accept. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [mic47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

This should be required reading as well. I used to believe that skipping breakfast could cause my metabolism to dive, but it just causes my appetite to spike. Someone else challenged my belief and I did as much reading as I could. Scientific consensus: starvation mode is a myth.

She's eating too much. That's the whole story. She needs to come to terms with that and be brutally honest with herself...like I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YOU !!! Mr. Winkle are a keeper !

Yours are points I tried to make in my response but lacked the pointedness and clarity. Thank you for this breath of fresh air, sanity and common sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [stop2think] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS - Read only about 1/3 of what I said much?

Good for you on the PhD....I didn't say it was just about her underestimating. I was intoning that it's much bigger than that....and that simply counting calories isn't going to make it better.

But then, neither will listening to the judgement of the self-proclaimed health/fitness/life coaches on slowtwitch.

And if anyone thinks that society hasn't placed the expectation of a certain size/weight on women, you're the ones living in a dream world.

One need only read through this thread to understand why so many women have rampant body image issues.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
One need only read through this thread to understand why so many women have rampant body image issues.

I only have to walk outside to realize that we have an obesity problem not a skinny problem.

I'm not saying that things said in this thread were good, just this whole body image thing is getting old when the exact opposite is the more real and ignored issue. your post was an absolute over reaction and a real indication you came busting into this thread now actually reading much of it and let your already formed opinion of what you would find come out in your post.

I say this as someone who has been obese and still technically overweight.. despite being probably around 12% BF..
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toreishi wrote:
YOU !!! Mr. Winkle are a keeper !

Yours are points I tried to make in my response but lacked the pointedness and clarity. Thank you for this breath of fresh air, sanity and common sense.

So now Bull_Winkle has several handles?
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [mic47] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mic47 wrote:
I am a female that took me a long time to figure things out, but I did.

A few points that I had to understand before I was finally able to lose weight and be "skinny"

1. She is probably not being honest with herself about her calories consumed. Only until she is willing to write down everything she eats, will she know her calorie intake. Let me just assume she weighs about 180lbs. To be at 1000 calorie deficit, she would only be eating 800 calories a day. That is assuming she has a "normal" metabolism. Her metabolism may be way lower. Working that much on 800 calories? That just seems not likely. (If she is unwilling to log calorie intake, she probably knows she is not counting all her calories.)

2. I have never never never lost weight by working out. Only by really watching my intake have I ever lost weight. Working out makes me fit and strong and look good, but watching my calories keeps me thin. I don't even get to do a "big workout" (such as 6 hr bike followed by t run) and reward myself with an "unhealthy" or higher calorie meal without consequences.

3. Let's say she eats really well with adequate calorie deficit then she decides to have a day where she eats more, even if it just seems like it is just a little more, she can undo everything she spent all the previous days accomplishing. I used to eat well all week and then have one bad meal that undid the weight loss I had. This did not happen when we were younger but this is a big change as you enter your 30s.

4. Females typically will reward themselves if they workout. Say she does crossfit which was a high intensity workout, she may be thinking she deserves to eat what she wants. I had to learn that after my workouts, I still have to eat healthy and low calorie.

5. She has to stop comparing herself to what other people get to eat. Some of my friends get to eat a lot more food and even unhealthy food and stay small. I had to learn not to be mad about that.

As far as getting her to workout, I do believe it will help physically and mentally, I would recommend low intensity weights and brisk walking to keep intensity low.

I hope this helps as doing each of these helped me. Took a long time to accept. Good luck!

This sums it up, in probably a less offensive way than some of the rest of us.
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [Marlonius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marlonius wrote:

This should be required reading as well. I used to believe that skipping breakfast could cause my metabolism to dive, but it just causes my appetite to spike. Someone else challenged my belief and I did as much reading as I could. Scientific consensus: starvation mode is a myth.

She's eating too much. That's the whole story. She needs to come to terms with that and be brutally honest with herself...like I did.

+1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bypasskid wrote:
Marlonius wrote:

+1.

Missed this one. Yeah, the 6 meals a day to keep your metabolism stoked myth - great for selling protein bars and shakes, not so good for actually losing adipose. Your body begins to catabolize lean tissue and shut down metabolic processes due to lack of fuel in days not hours. If eating more frequent smaller meals helps you stick to the kcal guidelines better, than do it, but the conventional reasoning doesn't have any scientific backing. Personally, I find intermittent fasting and 2-3x larger meals works better for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If she operates fairly often there is no
Way she can eat all the time
Quote Reply
Re: Girl-friend with weight problem despite workouts. [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read it all the fist time through...read it all second time to ensure I wasn't just reacting out of turn, actually.

Not debating weight problems or lack of activity problems are rampant through this country. Quite the opposite since I work in health insurance & know all you well not only the ramifications of weight itself but also the comorbidities that often accompany.

My first post was also brutally honest that I'm not a lean machine either, I struggle with many/most of the same things I'm guessing she struggles with.

Until you're a chick that struggles with weight & body image issues, tries to balance a family, a life & still tries to figure out how to be healthy mixed in with high-stress career...then your points of view aren't even relevant & any other posturing or judgement is just evidence to my point.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:

Until you're a chick that struggles with weight & body image issues, tries to balance a family, a life & still tries to figure out how to be healthy mixed in with high-stress career...then your points of view aren't even relevant & any other posturing or judgement is just evidence to my point.

Points of view do not change the laws of thermodynamics and they also do not help solve the issue. There is no indication (that I have seen) that this woman is struggling with outside pressures to lose the weight and struggles with body image issues. She simply wants to lose it and wants to know why current efforts aren't working. Maybe I am off base, but it seems she came to the OP not for a psych session, but advice as to losing weight. Based upon the presented evidence, the logical explanation is that she is underestimating her intake.

I don't understand how it is to be a grown women with a high stress career and a family to balance, but I do understand how it is to be a 200lbs. 11yr old who has several people in their family die very young from obesity comorbidities. I changed my lifestyle habits then and it fostered a passion which greatly determined my education and career direction. This women can make a similar change if she is honest with herself and really wants to make a change.
Quote Reply

Prev Next